The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

A man Hing cheong, gordon yao, baroman. Depends on what kind of of Clients the previous suit owner was you might be looking at some top quality cloths from Dormeuil, Scabal, Holland and Sherry, Zegna etc.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

2. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

A Man Hing Cheong is topshelf. I've found like 8 bespoke suits from them in the DC area, all in excellent condition. Also found a WW Chan in great condition. One of the A Man and possibly the WW Chan suits are up for trade if they don't fit my brother. I'll know after T-giving. The A Man is around a 44 and the WW Chan is at least a 46.

3. woolnotmutton

DC area must be very nice to find suits mostly b/c there are a lot of ppl there that actually wear them :p

4. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

You know, capnwes and adaminaustin (no offense to you) are two things I think are wrong with this thread - lurkers who insist on finding thrifted things and turning them into thousands-and-thousands percent return. Sure, we all like the occasional suit we get for 15 bucks and sell for 250 or 300; but that's the super-rare event for most of us. Trying to force that to happen with random thrifted vintage BB and old YSL is one of the things I hate most about Ebay.

Also, does it rub anyone else super the wrong way to just post pictures and then an ebay auction link? He even used his auction titles as the link text... to be honest I'm wondering if this qualifies as out-and-out spam?

Back to the usual....
    AlanC : OH MY GOODNESS! haha, that's really something else. I love seeing random unusual bits of old BB - or even just the uncommon, like the track jacket or white turtleneck I have/had, or a red leather women's jacket I left at a yard sale a year or so ago.

dwcopple - that auction is actually the one I based my price on. Figure mine are near-stone-mint and I do free shipping so 50 bucks is a bargain. Small world, eh? ;)

Oh, and tonylumpkin - whatcha doing with the wide-shouldered Oxxfords? If they're suitable for larger size suits I might be interested in working something out, assuming they're available.

5. woolnotmutton

agreed.

6. mainy

mainy Senior member

yea... if you wanna post pics of an item and tell the story behind it that's cool but posting links to auction is for the ebay thread. put a link to the ebay stuff in the signature and people will see it regardless... or if they are interested in the item they are going to PM you about it anyway I don't think we need auction postings in this thread.

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

+1 to your whole post, especially about the the whole eBay auction and outrageous BIN prices.

8. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

I'll plus everyone else because I was thinkng the same thing. Plus isn't the selling/eBay thread still alive?

9. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

I just can't decide if I want to sell them. I've always told myself i'll get a pair of Allen Edmonds when I can afford it, and now I've got my pair. I guess it depends on how well they fit.

10. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

Mainy,
    I would watch the crap out of those videos.

11. MattR

MattR Senior member

If you can use them, I'd keep them. They look like they are in great condition, overall. I wouldn't cave, unless I really needed the money (as in, all the time).

12. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

WGP, why are you lumping this guy in with the spammer? Do...not...agree. :fence:

P.S. I would love to see before and after pictures. From superfuture (I'm guessing head to-toe-ninja?) to family man must be quite a shift!

13. woolnotmutton

oh I didn't see that part, ya I guess there is nothing wrong of thrifting old YSL stuff. Although I would pass on those. His other pickups sounds pretty good.

14. woolnotmutton

Do you guys pick up any tuxedos. Are there particular brands to watch for?

15. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Of the nicer tuxedos Brooks Brothers will probably be the most common. You will come across true vintage with just store labels. These are often of quite good quality, and usually rarely worn. Avoid discarded rentals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.