• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tons of amazing LPs in excellent condition including someone's entire Genesis discography

Does this happen to include the super obscure "From Genesis to Revelation" from 1967 on the London label? This was their first album and was before they even went prog.

Hit a bunch of thrifts today and nothing....

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last winter, I discovered the man's wool scarf for the first time in my life.

Yesterday, I thrifted a Dior lambswool scarf made in England that showed absolutely no signs of wear. I passed on a similar cashmere scarf with some minor pilling in the throat area. I have a feeling this winter is going to be different than any that I have ever experienced.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
found a Polo Ralph Lauren brown wide wale cord blazer with working buttons on the cuffs, size Large made in Macau. Not super high end but a nice piece in mint condition. Also a navy Millar suit, nothing outstanding but a good staple suit in good condition, size US 46 2 button double vent if anyone is interested.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scored two nice ties today, my first ever Charvet (and now that I'm home it looks better and newer than I thought), and a nice, thick Tuttle Distinctive Sportswear tie (made in France). I passed a a couple Bullock & Jones ties.

Stewie

Reaction score

Keep an eye out in the Halloween consume racks at the thrift stores, folks. All the local thrifts are starting their Halloween departments around here. Lots of cool stuff gets put on there. I found a white silk dinner jacket from 1928 once and another year I found a tuxedo from 1909 in amazing condition for $5.

:fonz: Same here, lotsa vintage in the Halloween section usually, my best finds have actually been militaria items including a WWII Admirals Jacket...long sold years ago, but if your into flipping vintage these can be some great racks of clothes....even found a 1960's Batman costume in the original box once...if I remember right I got like $150-200 for it.

D.

TheODGuy

Reaction score
Only find today:

f8abe5a6.jpg

4a93f722.jpg

Oxxford Tuxedo

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:fonz: Same here, lotsa vintage in the Halloween section usually, my best finds have actually been militaria items including a WWII Admirals Jacket...long sold years ago, but if your into flipping vintage these can be some great racks of clothes....even found a 1960's Batman costume in the original box once...if I remember right I got like $150-200 for it.

D.

Oooh, yeah. I keep a keen eye out for early camo stuff on these racks (WWII frog pattern, Vietnam ERDL, Tiger-stripe, etc). This is the only time of year I have any luck finding this stuff. Likely cause they hoard it all year and put it out for Halloween.

silverwarebandit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a 1949 saks fifth avenue 3 piece brown wool suit, nudie jeans, clarks DBs and a traflagar belt. Not too bad.

Also, anyone in chicago, there is a luciano barbera size S - fits more like a medium, 70% wool, 30% nylon overshirt right next to the christian dior made in the phillipines trench that is going for $1200, price on the LB is $68... doesn't work for me

silverwarebandit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics of the suit

Also, nudie/clarks/traflagar belt for to keep. On the left is a Barba 17/43 shirt, Loro Piana Horsey jacket, and Saintandrews trousers, size 40, all three of which I've never come across before. Score!

Also, I got a lesson in patience. Here we've got a Gitman Bros Vtg shirt and Hill-side floral print tie that I paid too damn much for because I just had to have a slim fitting oxford and floral tie. So a month later what did I find?

and on the left? A slim fitting grey oxford and a BB floral print tie that I picked up for a total of $4.62. So now every time I think about buying thing from retail store I can just remember this and avoid another similar experience.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Came across two recent Chester Barrie for Saks Fifth Ave suits today. One brownish windowpane and one a solid charcoal. Windowpane was s/b and non-vented. Had a tiny hole on the arm and a few noticeable repairs on the trousers. I left this one behind. I did grab the charcoal one. Double breasted, 6x2. Side vented. Double pleated and cuffed trousers. This suit was mint. About a 42 R. Any interest? I'm very iffy on selling on B/S now - I haven't had any luck selling since they re-did it. Not sure what happened. Can't move a mint single-vented Super 150s Ravazzolo suit w/ hanger out the door for $160.

UncleCozy

Reaction score

Came across two recent Chester Barrie for Saks Fifth Ave suits today. One brownish windowpane and one a solid charcoal. Windowpane was s/b and non-vented. Had a tiny hole on the arm and a few noticeable repairs on the trousers. I left this one behind. I did grab the charcoal one. Double breasted, 6x2. Side vented. Double pleated and cuffed trousers. This suit was mint. About a 42 R. Any interest? I'm very iffy on selling on B/S now - I haven't had any luck selling since they re-did it. Not sure what happened. Can't move a mint single-vented Super 150s Ravazzolo suit w/ hanger out the door for $160.

CB stuff is where the best deals are to be made, great quality at superb prices. Depending on pictures and prices, I may be interested.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw a vintage North Face down parka (I assume vintage since it's made in the US) in a size small. It was royal blue and looked to be in really good shape (some slight wear on the pocket flaps). It was at a consignment store and could be had for about $25.0030-00. Is this worth anything? I know some of you guys collect older outdoor gear so if there is any interest I'd be glad to proxy it.

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Last winter, I discovered the man's wool scarf for the first time in my life.

Yesterday, I thrifted a Dior lambswool scarf made in England that showed absolutely no signs of wear. I passed on a similar cashmere scarf with some minor pilling in the throat area. I have a feeling this winter is going to be different than any that I have ever experienced.

After reading this post I decided to look at the men's scarfs (I think there men's anyway) and was real excited when I found two cashmere scarf's.I really like the herringbone one and the other one eh, figured I could post here or on eBay. Only paid a few bucks for each, but much to my dismay, they only sell for a few bucks on ebay :/

On the bright side, I had a hell of a day thrifting. Pics should be posted tomorrow or Monday, but in total 1 Brioni Suit, 2 recent Burburry Sportcoats, Harris Tweed Jacket, 2 Zegna Chinos, and a bunch of shirts 3 Turnbull & Asser, Hilditch & Key, Lacoste, 2 Canlai, Paul Stuart, 2 nice BB and 4 Zegnas, 1st every RLPL (in my size 14.5!!!!!!) plus a few others & 5 nice ties (L2R, Zegna, Zegna NWT, Zegna, Versace, BB golf) :D

Left behind a bunch of beat up stuff which always sucks, Brioni pants and RLPL shirts (not my size thankfully)

Also picked up these pants. Wasn't 100% sure. Can't really find anything on eBay so guess it was an oops moment, but are they decent?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads