• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcl

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I haven't had a decent day in awhile, so this was fun.

wcl, not enough kudos in the world for that haul. Jesus H. Caviezel!

Does that Isaia have basting stitches?

lulz it has the remnants of basting stitches in the shoulders, and the ones on the sleeve have been removed but the buttons are still in the bag in the pocket. I believe the the previous owner just never got it altered, but I guess it is possible they might have worn it once or twice like that :facepalm:

and wcl did you rob a yoox truck? that CN jacket is sick I wish it was a small size but it looks like a 40

I was stunned to see CNH anything in my neck of the woods. Let alone the Ricci, LP and Bamford. I am guessing most of it was "imported" donations.

I left a shell Alden Longwing at the Sally because I could not find its mate. And what did I find at a small independent thrift on the other side of town?!? The other shoe :plain:

Also I snagged some B&L Wayfarers from the giant basket o'glasses on the counter. I know they are old, but can anyone give me a clue how old? These are the only markings on them......
002.jpg
]
003.jpg

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just returned super frustrated.....
If you are in the Chicago area and want a score, pm me as I just left behind some super tasty stuff:

Oxxford Tux
Oxxford Cashmere jacket
Corneliani Suit
Corneliani blue blazer, totally unconstructed and pick stitched everywhere.
Bunch o custom made stuff too.
Canali Shirts
**** load of CT shirts, in pristine shape, neck of 16.
I cant wait till I have money in my pocket again (soon, signing a new contract and will be back to work soon!).

I did buy a really tasty Canali dress shirt with hocky puck MOP buttons

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
Just returned super frustrated.....
If you are in the Chicago area and want a score, pm me as I just left behind some super tasty stuff:

Oxxford Tux
Oxxford Cashmere jacket
Corneliani Suit
Corneliani blue blazer, totally unconstructed and pick stitched everywhere.
Bunch o custom made stuff too.
Canali Shirts
**** load of CT shirts, in pristine shape, neck of 16.
I cant wait till I have money in my pocket again (soon, signing a new contract and will be back to work soon!).

I did buy a really tasty Canali dress shirt with hocky puck MOP buttons
damn I take it those are all the things you left behind? Chicago must be a nice place to pick up pre-owned Oxxfords.

threeleggeddog

Reaction score

Thanks everyone, I haven't had a decent day in awhile, so this was fun.

I left a shell Alden Longwing at the Sally because I could not find its mate. And what did I find at a small independent thrift on the other side of town?!? The other shoe :plain:

Ha - I noticed this with a separated suit before. I'm curious how this comes to be. I wonder if, after a death, people just leave things out (in bags that don't always match items) on a first-come-first-serve basis for thrifts.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First decent day in awhile yesterday... this is what passes for decent in my neck of the woods lately, anyway:

Dale of Norway sweater, only one side seam - there was another sweater there with NO side seams whatsoever, which I had never seen before - it was clearly a very high-quality piece, but there was no label on it and it wasn't my style at all. :(
Chipp tie
Bills recent striped lining M2 flat-fronts 34

I had hoped things would pick up a bit locally as we swung into September and cooler temperatures, but September is almost over and still nothing. Glad to see you gents are having better luck, though!

ArsenalDan

Reaction score
10 pairs of Incotex - 3 are wool, 2 cords, 1 of the chinos is for PRL. [you know where I got these]. All my size; I may flip one or two i, but I kind of refuse to buy out an entire Daffy's and make a 300% profit, particularly when other SFers are certainly trying to get to those places too.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep an eye out in the Halloween consume racks at the thrift stores, folks. All the local thrifts are starting their Halloween departments around here. Lots of cool stuff gets put on there. I found a white silk dinner jacket from 1928 once and another year I found a tuxedo from 1909 in amazing condition for $5.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also I snagged some B&L Wayfarers from the giant basket o'glasses on the counter. I know they are old, but can anyone give me a clue how old? These are the only markings on them......
002.jpg
]
003.jpg

I would quite possibly kill to find a pair of those just hanging out in the B o'G but I know that my day will come. Introduced in 1952 and carried through to the mid 80's before a redesign.
Today, I passed on a slightly banged up pair of these priced at $8. Should I go back?

Keep an eye out in the Halloween consume racks at the thrift stores, folks. All the local thrifts are starting their Halloween departments around here. Lots of cool stuff gets put on there. I found a white silk dinner jacket from 1928 once and another year I found a tuxedo from 1909 in amazing condition for $5.

Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW...

I also found a Rubinacci tie, a Charvet tie and this Hickey-Freeman made in Italy Saddle Yoke Pullover Sweater in this color and size medium. I think it fits me a little large but I thought I could always give it to the previously mentioned brother in law who is similarly sized like me except he his about 4 inches taller. He's installing a digital HVAC controller in my SL this Sunday and I thought it would be nice as he is a sweater guy. OTOH, if someone here REALLY likes it...

Holy crap...it retailed for $225 and is sold out at the Sierra Trading Post for $99! Maybe I'll just keep it for myself.

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In case anyone wanted to see the Charvet and the Rubinacci I mentioned earlier.

The Charvet (left) is 3 5/8" X 57 1/2" and the Rubi (right) is 3 7/8" X 58 1/2".

P9220008.jpg

P9220011.jpg

P9220009.jpg

Last edited:

Passat774

Reaction score
Started this new hobby a few weeks ago and had no luck. Then thanks to the many tips here. I found 4 Zenga shirts!!

I was amazed at the quality. And the nice thing about it is out of three that I picked up 2 fit !

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In case anyone wanted to see the Charvet and the Rubinacci I mentioned earlier.

The Charvet (left) is 3 5/8" X 57 1/2" and the Rubi (right) is 3 7/8" X 58 1/2".

P9220008.jpg

P9220011.jpg

P9220009.jpg

Nice score on the Charvet. Perfect colors for fall!

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today:
Shell Cordovan Burgandy Lloyd & Haig Custom Built Plain Toe 9 1/2 E/C
Shell Cordovan Burgandy Keith Highlanders Full Brogue Wingtips with metal Eyelets 10 D/B
Navy wool Suit with grey pinstripes in my size
Last Night:
Shell cordovan Black Alden 987 LHS but unfortunately the embodiment of SHELL cordovan, never seen shells this hard and am considering Neats oil to soften them up. Size 7 1/2D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads