• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, any of you know a good ebay (or any other) store that is located in NYC that allow in person visits?
I'm trying to find a nice used suit bellow $150 but I have zero experience in finding good deals. If I could see the stock live, it would be a lot easier to find something that fits.

Thanks
0.jpg

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there any clever way to find out if a pair of jeans are selvedge jeans without looking inside the cuffs of each pair, one at a time? Do you focus on specific brands? Do you search through them from the front (to read the button), or back (to look at the patch, if any?)

I have not found any.

In short, it will come with experiences. In not so short, before trolling the hem, look for details that you are familiar with quality selvedge brands. Also, super heavy dark indigo with a fine hand is another clue to quality denim. Of course, you could prolly looking at a pair of momo 1101 sp that's 10 oz. What i would do before trolling the hem is troll the coin pocket for selvedge id. That should be easy enough. Oh, that going into battle momo is a terrific find!

Last edited:

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any clever way to find out if a pair of jeans are selvedge jeans without looking inside the cuffs of each pair, one at a time?

I always look for several things:

- Brand. I instantly pass over brands like Old Navy, Denizen, 7 For All Mankind, etc. They don't really make selvedge, and if they did it wouldn't be worth a damn.

- Color. Most of the time when I pop selvedge, It's a pretty dark Indigo Blue. Sometimes I will notice high contrast fades and be able to pick them out that way. If it's really faded, I generally pass over it instantly... UNLESS I happen to notice a lot of age or distinct character. If it's vintage Levis, I cop em of course... But most newer brands of jeans aren't worth a lot if they're super faded and washed out. Colors like Black, Gray, Khaki are sort of a toss up. If they seem quality, I check em for brand and etc.

- Leather Patch. Yeah there's older selvedge Levi's with those papery patches, but most of your newer high-end jeans makers use tanned Leather. Thicker the better usually.

- Construction. Heavy belt loops, bartacks, good rivets, chainstitching... These are all signs of higher quality jeans.

- Denim Weave / Character. Sometimes I will know a certain denim is selvedge before I'm even touching it... As time passes, and you experience more and more... You get to know certain denims really well. I remember one time I spotted a pair of N&F broken twills from like 10 feet down the rack, but that broken twill sticks out pretty well. Denims with more "nep" and "slub" will generally mean they are vintage fabrics, or newer fabrics produced on older machines... Either case is generally good.

- Train Tracks. Yeah train tracks occur on non-selvedge denim, and they don't instantly mean selvedge... But on vintage jeans they almost always have a distinct appearance. That's how I caught a pair of Big E's once while walking down the racks at a Value Village... Traintracks.

- Outer Leg Seam. Selvedge denim jeans are almost always made with the outer leg seam (not inseam) "flat" or like opened up. I know there's a technical term for it that @Takai or someone would know, but I'm spacing it right now. Usually jeans that have the "folded over" leg seams are not selvedge. I will sometimes feel that seam, and if its folded then I pass em over. ALSO, if the outside of that seam is heavily stitched like with cheaper "work jeans", then they are generally not selvedge.

- Regarding Levi's.... I usually just look for darker indigo denim, the thicker leather patches, and certain model numbers like 501, 501XX, 501ZXX, 514. Those are usually the selvedge models they offer. I've SEEN some like 510's or 569's on eBay and etc that were selvedge, but i've never seen that in person. Also, of course you'll want to more closely inspect any super old looking, or super worn pairs of 501's. Most people don't even want to touch really fucked up dirty Levis, but I dig in there hoping to see them Redlines or that Big E.

Selvedge doesn't instantly mean quality or value of course... But it's "hot" right now. A lot of cheaper brands like Uni-Qlo, GAP... even Nana Repubs are making jeans with selvedge to capitalize on the trend. While those are usually not worth picking up for eBay, and not that great for personal use... I tend to cop them for cheap and hock em at trade shops. Sometimes they price em pretty high. Also, there's some jeans out there that are valuable even without selvedge. I will always pick up Nudies in excellent condition if they're selvedge or not.

Using this knowledge, I've actually been able to score some super high quality jeans without knowing anything about the brand. A perfect example of that was when I found some nearly brand new "Paulrose Products" jeans over a year ago. I had never heard of that brand at all. I determined they were high end due to their insanely thick leather patch, the overall character and nep / slub of the denim, the bartacks, belt loops and hidden rivets in the back pockets. I picked them up for $7.99, and when I got home I saw that they were like $230+ jeans. Oddly enough, they are like a niche Heritage off-shoot brand in the Naked & Famous family. I intend to sell them, but currently they are locked up in my private denim vault. The character of their denim is among the best I've ever seen. I guess they weave it on special "low tension" shuttle looms, which gives it such awesome texture.

/endrant.
teacha.gif
nest.gif
deadhorse-a.gif

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spoils for me from our trip!

Oh, those iron heart are the ihsh33 but RAW unlike the previous releases where they were one wash. XL might be available for cost plus shipping. Interested? Pm me. I'll post deetz tomorrow.

Last edited:

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweet, fit pic requested.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Delivered.

Dem Stacks.

- Gant Rugger "The Hugger" Old Loom Oxford. True Thrift. One of my favorite shirts, with such an awesome plaid. Been losing weight, so I should get the back slimmed up a bit as you can see.

- Unbranded 201. Thrift-funded. These are actually my best fitting jeans since losing more weight... All my other pairs are too baggy -_-. Have worn these 1.5+ years, and still barely any fading.

- Adidas Stan Smith. True Thrift, with new laces. Happy to finally add a pair of these to my sneaker rotation. Going to try to wear these as much as the good weather will permit.

Wanted to wear a more "Streetwear" shirt with these items, but all my Norse T's were recently washed and drying:

Those are all Niels Boucles. And yes, I purposely match the hanger colors to the shirt colors.
shog[1].gif

Beard / Pattern detail. That collar roll was on point today.
cool.gif

Sneaker / Selvedge detail. Those sneakers cleaned up so damn well. Bright White... clean... like new again with some fresh laces.

Love when people give stuff away like this.
laugh.gif

Last edited:

impuntura

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any clever way to find out if a pair of jeans are selvedge jeans without looking inside the cuffs of each pair, one at a time? Do you focus on specific brands? Do you search through them from the front (to read the button), or back (to look at the patch, if any?)

I have not found any.
Dude your avatar is killing me...slowly.

turkey_sandwich

Reaction score

Where was it made? Are you sure it was WWM and not the John Rich and Bros. label (which makes their stuff overseas) which says "Woolrich Woolen Mills on it? The John B. Rich line is pricey but not WWM pricey.

99% sure it was WWM and not John Rich. It was a gray wool coat, couple large button pockets on lower front of coat. Looked fairly short but was an XL, so it was big in general. Can't recall the site of manufacture. Looked to be older -- maybe 10 yrs? Sorry, I know this is probably not all that helpful, @Nataku...

DapperE

Reaction score
Is there a good way to clean marker off the bottom of these leather shoes? Goodwill seems to have used permanent marker for the price, and now it's the only real blemish. Best I could do was add a little dry-erase marker to make it a black smudge instead of a clear number. Obviously not a big deal, just curious if there's an easy fix.
Florsheim Imperials

Also I found this neat cashmere blazer, Nordstrom with Loro Piana fabric. Sadly just a hair too big for me in the shoulders/sleeves:

and then a basic, nearly mint Hickey Freeman black pinstripe suit:

A modest haul, but a good one by my standards!
Goo Gone has worked charms for me.
Deetz on that Nordstroms LP please.

freehand

Reaction score
Recent stuff in no real order:

Chester Barrie 100% cashmere jacket - 42R

Drakes for CB

lightly worn Moc Toe Red Wings in my size (NA)

from a while ago but don't think I posted these e-thrifted shell Carmina burgundy loafers (NA)

I don't know why, but I have a bit of a soft spot for Joseph, this is for me:

Richard James, Zegna, Tie Rack for me and no name for me

Baller Margiela linen mix jacket, uk40 I believe

Slightly regretting picking up this Boss jacket but it's minty and silk/wool - should flip OK, bit of an experiment

Brantley11

Reaction score
I know a while back Peal & Co for Brooks Brothers were made by EG. Are any of the new ones made by Edward Green? I picked up a mint pair yesterday that have the size, style number , etc.. handwritten inside.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I find the double four-in-hand always makes the best dimples. :nodding:

Maybe so, but in my experience they're:
a) a ***** to get the length right -- far fussier than any other knot
b) a ***** to get the proportions right; you often end up with a knot disproportionate to the blade that exits the knot or a knot that's laughably long and thin (unless you're Spoo)
c) only usable, at my height, on extremely long ties.
Add a+b+c and it's just not worth the effort. YMMV

I don't want to hash the Great Knot Debate here. Its been beaten to death throughout StyFo. I'll pause to say, though, that for me, one of the benefits of being free of the shackles of WAYWRN is I do what feels right for the tie and the situation now. Sometimes that means half Windsor which, Takai, I think is what you had there, whatever you called it), and sometimes 4IH.

BTW, asymmetry is sometimes the intended effect of 4IH and double 4IH. As in, yes, my tie is asymmetrical, go *************. Sort of the Red Queen Hypothesis of ties -- I can be asymmetrical and still land the bitches.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads