• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mood: Biggie. Tupac. Snoop. Star Wars. Soundwave Transformers. Boomboxes. RUN-DMC. Surfing. Beatrock. Fatgums. Bambu.

0.jpg

rayxlui

Reaction score
Saw this old ass Paul Stuart today. Any guess from which decade?

Funny how when it rains it pours. Got more of the same stuff I've been picking up.

Another velour blazer, this time PRL Corneliani

Another J.Crew Ludlow. Linen. Navy. 36R. NWT. Also copped tan linen one, 39R. Too lazy for photo.

Mission Workshop x Taylor Stitch overshirt. Crazy tech fabric.

S2A jacket.

Marc by Marc Jacobs super high neck I have no idea what it is but I'm wearing it.

And another leather, this bad boy:

Joseph leather perfecto. Made In England. Thing retails at 1k+! Tagged M. Too bad perfecto's ain't my style.

Versace Guy

Reaction score

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hit 2 stores. 3 pops.

Pics tomorrow AM.

cheers.gif

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For Chinese made neckwear, these do surprisingly well on the secondary market.
They are not all Chinese made, however the English and Italian ones are identical to the Chinese ones in weight, thickness, and quality of silk, so the market has just turned into an I don't care attitude, for those less informed. I've noticed my Italian ones do quite well because they actually have a label stating made in Italy, get 35-40 for those, roughly 30 for all others, and 50 for this gross fuscia fina gren that ******* sucked but someone still bought it.

POP! first time in a thrift, and cashmere blend, and CHEAP

In case your curious, that D'Avenza is ******* super vintage so thats great you got it in such good condition, especially with it being 25% cash. That Manufacturer tag dates it to at least the early 80s (and yes, I weirdly know how to date a random and rarely seen brand label back over 30 years...steady studying the game)

Last edited:

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this old ass Paul Stuart today. Any guess from which decade?

I'm goin mid to late 60s on this one. I've run into a few pieces of vintage silk (and polyester) with the same logo font and they dont have the boldness and aren't nearly substantial enough in heft or thickness to be pieces meant for those 4 foot lapels and glorious polyester suits with bell bottom inspired 14 inch hems from the 70s.

the2ndhandman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sitting rerouting my normal thrift route of Los Angeles as I see some new stores opened recently. Excellent!!!

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are not all Chinese made, however the English and Italian ones are identical to the Chinese ones in weight, thickness, and quality of silk, so the market has just turned into an I don't care attitude, for those less informed. I've noticed my Italian ones do quite well because they actually have a label stating made in Italy, get 35-40 for those, roughly 30 for all others, and 50 for this gross fuscia fina gren that ******* sucked but someone still bought it.
Yes and no... I have spoken with their customer service at length on a couple of occasions. Even some of their "made in England" ties are only finished in the UK. They are essentially "made" in China then shipped to Britain where they sew a bar tack on it and claim "made in England" status. Yes, they still make some ties in England. However, they made the corporate decision to not affix a "made in..." label to the vast majority of their ties. For the most part, just assume it's from China.

Versace Guy

Reaction score
Yes and no... I have spoken with their customer service at length on a couple of occasions. Even some of their "made in England" ties are only finished in the UK. They are essentially "made" in China then shipped to Britain where they sew a bar tack on it and claim "made in England" status. Yes, they still make some ties in England. However, they made the corporate decision to not affix a "made in..." label to the vast majority of their ties. For the most part, just assume it's from China.
Some useful info. But this one is going to be a staple in my wardrobe. Popped my grenadine cherry :)

Last edited:

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
....and unless there is a small little batch at the rear of the front blade that says "made in Italy.".....and honestly that **** could be made in Somalia for all I care. I spend 2-4 bucks for them and I get 40 bucks for them. I may be their biggest fan.

Some useful info. But this one is going to be a staple in my wardrobe. Popped my grenadine cherry :)
I believe their grens are Italian in origin. I have owned two and they were both made in Italy

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
....and unless there is a small little batch at the rear of the front blade that says "made in Italy.".....and honestly that **** could be made in Somalia for all I care. I spend 2-4 bucks for them and I get 40 bucks for them. I may be their biggest fan.

I believe their grens are Italian in origin. I have owned two and they were both made in Italy

Absolutely. On the secondary market, they outperform many of the more sought-after expensive brands of neckwear. If they are reasonably priced, they are an insta-kop for me.

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sitting rerouting my normal thrift route of Los Angeles as I see some new stores opened recently. Excellent!!!
You better hit them up cuz your comin up dry otherwise. A lot of thrifts had sales this previous week and the others...well *******, I ran through em all. Good luck. I even thrifted the warehouse Salvation Army, not just the boutique, and cleaned them out too.... better get your stance to pounce on that new goodwill rack rollin out ready to go, cuz deez the dog days of summer, thriftin notoriously at it's worst, and I cleaned up the rest. The valley is all yours though cuz I'd rather forfeit a Kiton haul then go to that fuckin place, but LA City? This ***** mine homie.

Edit: Also don't front and hit up spots like Wasteland, Crossroads, or ConsignMEN and say its thrift and show a bunch of Thom Browne, Dior, CDG or Yohji grail items. I know what they got at those spots, and ConsignMEN may have some CM stuff like a couple Kiton Cashmeres and stuff, but they also got full inventory posted on eBay, the same inventory I peeped in its entirity earlier today... Ill be ready to call that ass out.

But if you hit up Decades and just cop like 20 vintage Chanel suits then thats just pretty boss so you'll be good with that.

2nd Edit: And although I hate the location, I'm very familiar with a certain Consignment in the Valley that could prove to be seeminly fruitful if you try to front as it being thrift as well...The one stop you can make to really clean up on suits. You can run up that credit card bill and try to make it look like you ran through my spots and my racks, you can try and test the extent of what I know about just about every thrift shop operated in this city, but I wouldn't..... I got all the bases covered boiiii, your move...

Last edited:

rayxlui

Reaction score

I'm goin mid to late 60s on this one. I've run into a few pieces of vintage silk (and polyester) with the same logo font and they dont have the boldness and aren't nearly substantial enough in heft or thickness to be pieces meant for those 4 foot lapels and glorious polyester suits with bell bottom inspired 14 inch hems from the 70s.

Forgot to take a photo of the union tag, but I thought it said 1929, so I was thinking maybe 40's.

Forgot about this bad boy:

Super recent Spiewak & Sons Golden Fleece MA-1. Made in USA

Last edited:

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgot to take a photo of the union tag, but I thought it said 1929, so I was thinking maybe 40's.
Dude, post that Union tag for sure. Im super curious as well, and no matter which Union, Ill be able date it to at the very least, the decade, all the way to the beginning of the century, even if it's the harder one that has barely changed for like 80 years, there are slight differences I can spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads