• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeradjames

Reaction score

Band tee's

Ties/pocket squares

And some actually good tapes for once

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

How are the Swiss TF shirts not from the premium line? I thought Italy/Swiss were same quality.

Nah. First there is the obvious difference located on the tag attached to the items, that being a difference of roughly $250. The swiss manufactured ones (also I think Turkey too) are made by Zegna and the cheapest Tom Ford shirts you can purchase. They are purely manufactured for those who value a brand name above quality, and exploit these people. The shirts are average quality, the buttons aren't shell (pearl), they don't have the dual button stacked standing collar, the collars themselves are not the wide spread design you see on all premium dress shirts from them, they are small semi-spread/pointed, they're 100% machine made, the gussets aren't even reinforced...have you ever seen a "premium" made dress shirt without even that small addition of extra fabric to each side of the shirt? Naw. That line of shirting is 100% scam to generate income to offset the costs of creating all the extremely expensive, highly detailed, and gorgeous premium tier garments they create and the almost non-existent population of people who economically qualify as being in the market for these goods.

EDIT: Although I don't think so, I may just be thinking of strictly the Turkey manufactured ones. However I do believe that the Swiss ones fall in line as well. If you look at all his garments, although all Zegna manufactured, you will notice every single one makes the same statement twice, once on the Manufacturer tag, and once on a piece of fabric sewn to the back the neck. "Made In Italy." He markets his premium goods as all italian made being sure to separate himself from the fact that Zegna does an immense amount of production in Switzerland.

Last edited:

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@txwoodworker pretty sure that arcteryx is the Livewire jacket - had a few over the years. Can't find it on Google, but it's several seasons back so no surprise.
Thanks!

Woolrich John Rich & Bros is the mid-tier line of theirs, if I remember correctly. I think the hierarchy of current lines goes Woolrich Originals (green label) < Woolrich JR&B (navy label) < Woolrich White (white label). I have a few Woolrich JRB shirts and a blazer and it's decent stuff but there's not much resale on it in my experience.

Woolrich Woolen Mills (aka WWM, black label similar to the old Woolrich label) is a discontinued line that Mcnairy and Suzuki both designed for, that's the one people get really excited about.
Thanks for the knowledge

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man I had a pop and left 3 jackets that a year ago I would have picked up.

Pop was Brioni Suit, only found ties and shirts before and an ate up old jacket I bought to salvage the buttons. This one had moth holes up and down both arms and stains all over it. Plus I am traveling in San Jose and didn't really want to bring it home.

Also 2 old EZ unvented jackets and a Canali Blue label unvented jacket. Plus a boat load of Bow Ties Countess Mara and a few other brands, all I took home was a minty J Crew Chambray shirt in Blue for myself.

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would recommend not using the sharpener

True, I don't really use those "knife sharpeners" if I can help it. They do sorta mess the blade up. Any flaws are amplified. Good tip on the williams sonoma... I'll check if they carry any of the models I own, but most are in great shape.

the2ndhandman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I beg to differ. If you can show handwork id be impressed ive never had a ford shirt with handwork.I've owned many there quality is the same. The only difference I've ever seen is you get horn buttons on black swiss made and smokey shell on Italian.

Spruce Moose

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found some Grenson shoes for the first time and only 6$. The previous owner footprint is quite different than mine and as a result they are uncomfortable as ****. Not sure if that's changeable or even worth it? I like the leather upper and color

Also my #forbrian came today and both were perfect. The Boglioli is slim but I like the fit I think. The Oxxford tie is also very nice

Last edited:

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@Letric

I was making dinner and thought about your pick up.These are the ones I use at home. You got some good knife stuff for cheap. They stay super super sharp for a long time. I would recommend not using the sharpener. It doesnt seem to get the razor edge back like it should and the way they shape there blades it miss shapes them I think fwiw. William and sonoma sharpen mine its free in store for anybody and any knife they sell even if you bought it there or not. It comes out factory sharp and will last 6 months without another sharpening if treated right. I don't think I would ever give mine to charity I love them to much clothes are one thing my knives are another there is a certain joy in having quality knives.

This is my work go to knife, love some Japanese steel
I have a Wustof in there also.
An oil stone is your best friend, hand sharpeners are garbage

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I beg to differ. If you can show handwork id be impressed ive never had a ford shirt with handwork.I've owned many there quality is the same. The only difference I've ever seen is you get horn buttons on black swiss made and smokey shell on Italian.

Then sir, my doubts may have actually been proven as truths. Perhaps it is solely the Turkey made models that are of below sub par quality. I however will bring my Italian shirts tomorrow and post some stock shots highlighting differences in the two tiers of shirt production. I just know I've handled all grades, even the $950 sea island cotton, the differences are quite apparent, at least as far as the Turkey ones are concerened for now. I mean I don't really need to make a case, they wouldn't cost 250 less if they were the same level of quality...

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Double Post..

Last edited:

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was just washing a Tom Ford shirt today. Think it's a Turkey or Tunisia or w/e. When I found it I wasn't impressed with the construction, just the fabric and collar style I guess. How much do those normally retail for? $550+? Why not just buy a nice ISAIA for $450.

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was just washing a Tom Ford shirt today. Think it's a Turkey or Tunisia or w/e. When I found it I wasn't impressed with the construction, just the fabric and collar style I guess. How much do those normally retail for? $550+? Why not just buy a nice ISAIA for $450.

$350>

Mainline, Italy made models are upwards in the $600 region.

And their market isn't individuals who value quality of production, their target demo is strictly those who value purely branding.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads