1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. leisurewear

leisurewear Well-Known Member

were you planning on using for self or flipping? if the former, make sure you're ok with how the shoulders look since they tend to by bulky and if the latter the older models don't hold too much demand (but will probably still sell for more than you paid). the gold knight logo buttons help but i would take a look at comparable closed ebay listings before setting any expectations.

even for newer burberry labels, the tailored pieces are mostly made by hickey freeman and don't do too well. I saw one made in italy the other day by Belvest which would definitely be a kop if in good condition. from my experience the stuff you're looking for with burberry are the accessories (especially with the nova check), clothing with the nova check and/or knight logo and coats/jackets. the other stuff still moves but the margins aren't what they need to be for me to want to play. on the other hand, i sold a blue nova check tie with multiple spots and a bad crease in the lining for $60

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    2 people like this.
  2. timber09

timber09 Well-Known Member

I very much appreciate all of the information - fantastic!

Admittedly, when it was pulled off the rack it was done so in haste with very little thought about anything other than "Burberry!?!". I looked it over a bit thereafter while walking around the store and figured that $6 was worth the education I would get by purchasing it - at this point I am already money ahead.

It seems to fit fairly well at this point and my first thought was to keep it if I could find a decent button match. I'll have it cleaned and repaired - try it on again and go from there I suppose. Most likely I will keep it and wear, even if it's not 100% perfect, at my wife's family gatherings, they won't know the difference one way or the other anyway.

Thank you again for your assistance!

1 person likes this.
  3. drlivingston

drlivingston Well-Known Member

I know where you can pick up a pair of Zanella board shorts to wear with the blazer. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. leisurewear

no problem, glad i could help. my only piece of advice learned from my own pitfalls is to be very discerning when putting money toward alterations of thrifted items. it adds up quickly even if it's just making small adjustments. i think i spent over $250 the first month i started thrifting for alterations on stuff (old brooks brothers, lauren ralph lauren, etc.) i was positive i was going to consistently wear that now will probably end up getting donated back or sold on ebay for $10-$15 a piece.

2 people like this.
  5. timber09

May have a tough time coming up with a watch combo there - but sounds pretty sharp!

1 person likes this.
  6. timber09

Sound advice.

So far I have been trying to adhere to the "one in, one out" rule for my own personal wardrobe but that has proven a bit difficult as well. Thankfully, my wife is an anti-hoarder and will keep major accumulation at bay.

7. leisurewear

mine is the same and could barely tolerate my new hobby. then i used my thrift funds to buy her a new burberry puffer (discounted NWT on eBay of course) and she's very supportive now.

1 person likes this.
  8. Chotii

Chotii Well-Known Member

I'd like to remind that I can re-knit small holes in many sweaters, especially if they're medium to heavy yarn (winter weight, Aran, etc). I've even begun experimenting with reweaving small holes in wovens (heavier yarns only). It's better than using a needle and thread, anyway.

Had the best auction day in AGES - I think 23 or 24 items sold; close to $800. Grateful for that, too - had to have an MRI on my foot, and my insurance coverage doesn't cover very much.

A few recent finds/acquisitions:

Bonnie Cashin designed coat (she's better known, I think for designing Coach purses in the early days of the brand). See the brass turnlocks - they're iconic on Coach purses, but were inspired by similar turnlocks that held the convertible roof on her car. I believe this is from the 50s or 60s. Its needs a trip to the dry cleaner. I also had to reweave a hole in the back.

[​IMG]

Double D Ranchwear suede jacket (do not EVER pass this brand up)

[​IMG]

Vintage LL Bean shirt-jac

[​IMG]

Gorgeous Aran cardigan, courtesy SpooPoker

[​IMG]

And I know you guys are going to hate this, but I liked the wild variety of very handsome wool suitings used to make this jacket. It's for flipping, and they do okay, so it's okay with me if you hate it. :D

[​IMG]

15 people like this.
  9. mco543

mco543 Well-Known Member

Would anyone happen to know who in Italy makes dress shoes for the Giorgio Armani black label line? The retail price seems fairly absurd.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  10. 1ofTheCoolKids

1ofTheCoolKids Well-Known Member

4 people like this.
  11. RFHansen

RFHansen Well-Known Member

Words of wisdom.

1 person likes this.
  12. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  13. turkey_sandwich

turkey_sandwich Well-Known Member

Sorry, wrong thread

14. Principle

Principle Well-Known Member

I would like to contribute and share my worst thrift tailoring pit falls when I first started: tapered 346 trousers from like the 80's, I had a mediocre made in France YSL tweed jacket re-lined with vintage indigo fabric and even had the buttons replaced, I got the waist taken on a NWT saint laurie jacket that was a size too big...this could go on. The great news is I've become buddies with my local tailor, Neriman, and I'm happy to keep him in business.

1 person likes this.
  15. futuremyth

futuremyth Well-Known Member

hello from Calgary

2 people like this.
  16. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I was pondering having the legs shortened on a pair of Patagonia soft shell pants. Instead, I sold them and thrift funded a pair with the right inseam length from Black Diamond.

I've never had something tailored after thrifting. I have had a few things dry cleaned, of course.

17. drlivingston

drlivingston Well-Known Member

I have thrifted brand new unhemmed pants that were later professionally hemmed (now, I just do that myself).

18. Bahljs

Bahljs Well-Known Member

My lady's family is doing a secret santa, like they do every year...only thing is, I thrift EVERYTHING. I'm having a seriously hard time thinking of what to put down. Anyone else in this boat?

19. impuntura

impuntura Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How does one determine the model on a pair of 45rpm?

9 people like this.
  20. wumpyfish

wumpyfish Well-Known Member

Nettleton traditionals longwings pebble grain with V cleat. They were between some Cole Hann loafers and michael kors boots that some over folks were looking at, I waited patiently and then SNATCHED like a cobra...my size to make it even better...[​IMG]

7 people like this.