Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. Timmah

Timmah Senior member

2. Letric

Letric Senior member

3. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Leftovers for lunch today, even better the second go round.

I'll take every one of those if they're 10.5

Baller def. but also blouson, chore coat, work coat

Huh, those sales are recent. Last time I checked I only saw them selling in the 700-1000 range, but those were used.

The thrift gods heard my plea for a RL flag sweater.

Then decided to just fuck with me. All on the same rack.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Then I found some good stuff. Pics tomorrow, maybe.

4. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

All are US 10.

5. Letric

Letric Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I've never heard of that "J Shoes" brand, but those boots look really nice!

*Edit: Also, I woulda nabbed that Land's End Flag Sweater.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I'm usually not impressed with J. Shoes (probably on par with Cole Haan in terms of retail price and quality) but these definitely had me doing a double-take while digging through the new arrival shoe cart. They are really nice looking, in great shape and the price was definitely right.

7. evdv

evdv Member

Wow, some really nice items posted the last few pages. My finds in the last few days are not as nice as those but I thought they were good enough to share.

Hugo Boss bomber jacket.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AE Tribeca 71/2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bostonian 9W

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dack's made in England
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Not sure if these are a thing or not FUSAI focus jeans 34x32
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Tommy Bahama linen blazer, pockets still basted/sewn shut....the term is basted right?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    evdv

8. dukedishin

dukedishin Senior member

And those ones are vicuna cash silk blend. Only 7% vicuna.

9. double00

double00 Senior member

just getting over a case of Thrift Bowel that kept me out of the shops for a week...

vintage woolrich guys, how did i do?
    [​IMG]
    50s i think?

[​IMG]
    and i like the flavor of this buffalo check, i dunno...

[​IMG]
    also pop. first pataloha. i really dig this print

10. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Wasn't going to post, but opened my e-thrift and it is ah-mazing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Stupid effing potato pics don't do it justice.
    [​IMG]
    Absolutely amazing LP 100% cash fabric, made by Caruso.
    2 sizes too small (was listed as "I think it's a small")
    Came GIFT WRAPPED with a nice thank you CARD. Odd, but thoughtful.

Then this, feels new, but it's made in HK and not Lands' End.
    [​IMG]
    ...and another vintage cotton SC
    [​IMG]
    Tons of ties too, pretty sure I was in someone's wake. A lot of damaged stuff bundled together on the rack.

11. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

30k for kiton vicuna hellllllll no. That is way over they only retail at like 7 to 10k max. That looks like there sales gimic patch wich is probably only 5% vicuna. They just start with a regular 75ook jacket then ad 2k for the 5% vicuna. The 30k to 75k are FULL vicuna. I think people have a misleading idea of what vicuna is really worth. These are mtm pieces only paid in advance. They only have so much made for them yearly and it is sold out before the fabric even arrives at the factory. These pieces aren't made for the regular market and you will never see them sitting at any kind of retail store. That's still steep at 1600 even if it is a mix and new. Kiton resale value has capped out I think on average a regular cashmere jackets are tapped out at 250 to 300. With a 6k average retail that's crap. I've sold brooks brothers suits for more than that and they only retail at 1500 max. Point being kiton is flooded in the market. Now @theneedmachine the Loro is way better than kiton its worth 4 used kiton jackets and it's just way better overall in my opinion. Kiton just doesn't have that zip it used to.

12. rhz5001

rhz5001 Senior member

13. Letric

Letric Senior member

I agree that the name and presence of "Kiton" on the market isn't what it was 2-3 years ago even.

However, a really nice 100% Cashmere SC is still worth a bit more than 250-300 average like you say. I know you've had good experience selling them, but I'd put them more in the $450-500 range. I've sold a couple in that range, and the NWT Blue Windowpane I had recently sold privately for $1350. That was a Linen, Silk, Cashmere blend.

That Vicuna (most likely a blend) was super cool. If you were into that kind of pattern / color, and in the market for a Kiton SC... $1600 is a steal compared to $7900-9500 or whatever those cost. The most recent Kiton SC's I've known of were $6995 - 7195. A few years ago they were like $5495 - 5995, so they're definitely jacking prices up... but so is Zegna, Canali, Cucinelli, etc.

14. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

@letric
    [SPOILER ]
    I'm not saying there all worth the 300 range but 300 to 400 is pushing it. Even the ones spoopoker has had recently haven't broke 300. I think recent zegna cashmere stuff is going for more. It really is all matching the pattern to the buyer that's drooling over it. But for the 1600 for that if you shopped well you could have 8 of them in your closet. I mean I remember when I was bidding against txwoodworker on the blue vicuna one he picked up last year. He got a great price on his I just wasn't going to go any higher. San Francisco ebay just sold two last week I was bidding on but but stopped at 150 to 250 a piece cause there not worth a dime more to me and they were going to be shot in the dark on there age i was just hoping they were going to be super recent but let them go over $5 .The brioni they had went for more. I'm just saying it's overrated to me anymore. I mean yes I will buy it if I find it but I don't get all excited about it anymore. I sold that 100% vicuna overcoat I had two years ago and it went for 725 and it was about 15 lbs of straight vicuna and paid 19.99 for it. I see people trying to get 750 to 1500 for used ones and they sit month after month unsold.

15. Takai

Takai Senior member

@TheNeedMachine

Popped down to ATL today, and only had enough time to hit Buckhead and Marshalls. Picked up a bag of goodies, but nothing compared to that LP. Though I did pick up one of those spiffy BBBF Tartan chesterfields along with a BBGF Hanger to go with it.

Got to hang with @ReubenR for a minute and drop off some fun stuff in Athens though.