1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Missing belt, [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, I just could not leave this behind. DIY dyed/painted/glittered Haggar jacket
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  2. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

Once again not my size.

[​IMG]

19 people like this.
  3. vexco

vexco Senior member

Would surprise me. Checked out that I saw but I've been wrong before haha.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Whose size would that be?

got a label pic?

5. vexco

vexco Senior member

Gave it to a friend who loves that 90's shit. Fake or not, I'm sure he'll rock it so I guess it's a moot point! Appreciate it, though. I'd just assume you are right.

1 person likes this.
  6. winny94

winny94 Senior member

Any jewelry experts here? If I'm in the market for a vintage engagement ring, where would I begin that search? Obviously mall shops won't have them, but do privately owned shops deal in vintage? Are there specific vintage jewelry shops that I just haven't encountered yet? Any help on where to get started would be great

7. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Indeed. From the airshow.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

My (thrifted) B&O tt decided to stop working a few weeks ago, so pulled my (also thrifted) Technics SL-J33 out of the basement. It is linear tracking, which means that it detects the separate tracks and then decide which songs to play. Here's how it works (not my video):

10. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Hi all.

I had thought about posting this for a while, but I never did. I should have a year and a half ago.

THANK YOU MOTHERF@CKERS for all your advice and trading and cheers and jeers and shit. At 46 years old in late 2014 I made a career change from journalism to PR. I got the job interviewing in an H-F glenplaid suit I got at an SA in Portsmouth NH, custom white shirt w/french cuffs that fit me perfectly from SA in Philly, and vintage Florsheim or Nettleton wingtips I got in some damn thrift somewhere. No way could I have afforded the $2,000-$2,500 for this stuff new. But the outfit I wore looked as if I had spent that.

There is no question that the things I learned from everyone and the sometimes polite, sometimes harsh fit-crit helped me look a) credible, b) better than the competition, and c) supremely confident. I got the job, a beautiful pay bump, and now have stayed there long enough to know that I can swim in this pool.

I know this thread is more about the finds and the brags and the eBay/resale values...but the veterans here (some of whom I've talked to on the phone, some of whom I've met in person) were the ones who shaped my attitudes and outfits.

So thanks.

Why am I posting this today? Because I got back my first pro portraits in years. Tie, Polo discount store. Jacket, one of those Hong Kong Hotel specials (thrifted) that fits me just so. Shirt, BB from a Connecticut thrift. PS, Hickey-Freeman outlet. I will be wearing this tomorrow to a high-pressure presentation (I'll be on a team of 4) to persuade a new client to hire our agency.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    35 people like this.
  11. double00

double00 Senior member

fair enough.

if i were a buyer i would keep in mind that there are so few of these turn-of-the-century jeans around that they first-name them. fewer in anything close to wearable condition and as far as i know none that are unworn. if i were a buyer i would ask myself how it could possibly happen that niche workwear from that long ago has been archived as these appear to be. and if i didn't get a provenance from the seller or their representative that made 100% sense, i would walk. personally i wouldn't even approach a deal like this because it seems so likely to be a forgery. why? because money - the same reason folks forge artwork, jewelry, watches, or anything else that makes people suspend disbelief when common sense says to run.

but hey maybe it's one of the greatest americana finds of the last 30 or 40 years.

1 person likes this.
  12. noob15

noob15 Senior member

Sneaker bros, are these pumas a thing?[​IMG]

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

WAAAAAAT??

No, It's cool. I'm calm. The Universe has good things in store for me, I think.

Just don't ever bring your blacklight

3 people like this.
  14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

every time i walk into an estate sale, i have ill fantasies of finding some locked tool chest with a few pairs of these in there.

2 people like this.
  15. eazye

eazye Senior member

Not spoilering for sheer awesomeness. Well done.

16. the2ndhandman

the2ndhandman Senior member

@double00

I think they were never worn because of the size. Its just like my display jeans they are never going to be sold and there pushing 50 years old and they still have the factory tags on them. There tucked away in a space bag inside a plastic container and don't come out. It's not that far fetched. Things get passed down and forgotten about allot. It's one of those things that are out there and will eventually pop up. Now obviously being 2015 there's easy ways to definitely find out. If I was going to spend 100k on them then pictures would obviously be submitted to Levis curators to check out prior. They would have the best knowledge. Hard part is all there archives that old are gone to the fire and quakes so it you'd still be Taking there word for it. You can also have lab testing done on fabric to show how old it is. I have before it's pretty cheap. I think the only thing that makes me question is the blah blah 17 years thing on the pocket. Would Levis have changed that stamp every year?

1 person likes this.
  17. double00

double00 Senior member

the ones that i've seen - the Homer, etc actually have that same year on em. 17. so they must have put that on in 1890 and rode it for awhile... look i read you i have an unwashed big E trucker in my closet right now so yes it happens but that is extraordinarily old for essentially deadstock workwear. if it happens so often why isn't there another one extant? but you could be right, maybe there is another one out there and Spoo will find it...

see? but this was my point, people don't find these things in tool chests. you know where they find em? in mines. in sierra bunkhouses. in attic walls. there's a dude who literally mines old landfills in the deserts outside of reno. grab a shovel Spoo.

2 people like this.
  18. Timmah

Timmah Senior member

Picked up this made in the usa Jhane Barnes tux.

37L.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

2 people like this.
  20. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Good to hear that you're doing well. This thread needed a dose of the old guard. Too many youngins round these parts now.