• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chotii

Reaction score
Is Sartorialism anyone here? Just bought this and obviously they want to cancel now, what do I do - I've never been in this situation:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/231651276519?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

If it's somebody here I'll do it no problem.

They are obligated to sell it to you - it's a contract, and all that. But Karma says, let them cancel. If you let them out of the transaction, you're not out anything at all really. If you don't, That looks like a very expensive typo for them to have to eat.

Cj52racers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They can always just eat the negative instead. It's up to you dap. I've had it happen once. Wether I leave a negative or not is based entirely on their attitude with the cancel.

rhyme

Reaction score

books and tweed

Reaction score

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is Sartorialism anyone here? Just bought this and obviously they want to cancel now, what do I do - I've never been in this situation:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/231651276519?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

If it's somebody here I'll do it no problem.
I've fucked up like that in the past and I honored the sale, b/c it's not the customer's fault ******** up. I guess I'd let him out of it were I in your situation, but I'd give him a tongue lashing in the process. Besides, if the dude doesn't want to ship it, you can't make him anyway.

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
My username comes (originally) from the name of a lake in South Africa: Lake Chotiari. ('chott' means lake in Afrikaans). I read about a project to drain the lake in an engineering magazine at a job I had once long ago. I went by 'chotiari' for years, and then it gradually got shortened to 'choti' and then hack-pluralized to 'chotii'. Some places, it's 'chotiiii'. On my birthday last year, it was chotXLVIII. The year I turned 30...it was X rated.

It seems the word means something in Hindi - 'little' or 'small'. Which also applies.
In Japanese "Chotto" means "just a bit".

A few noteworthy finds recent finds. Sorry for the unedited I-Phone pics.

U.S. Air Corp WWII Horsehide Flight Jacket size 40 (possibly avail)

It is not the find of the year because it is a Reproduction. But, its still horsehide and its still awesome and the company that makes them uses WWII surplus Talon Zippers, and EVERY detail is exactly the same as the originals even the tags, and the Air Corp stamps. If it didn't say U.S. Authentic Co., this would pass all the tests for true 1940's vintage.
#Winning
Furniture bros... Chromcraft looks like a thing according to my Google skills. Thoughts?

Rat Rod bucket seat? perfect Garage chair.
So yesterday I dipped my foot into the military coat pool. First one is a nice blue peacoat, lighter than most with metal buttons. Very heavy. This is N/A as I plan to give it to my daughter who loves stuff like this.

Now the second one is available and I bought it hoping someone here would want it. Happy to trade.

Some nice detailing on this and once I saw the tag listing 1942 I had to buy it. Very good condition but has some liner issues and is missing one button on the back belt. But has two extra top buttons so could use I would think. Thing is a tank, I weighed it at seven pounds.
I would love to hear more about it from someone here who knows and I really want it to go to someone who wants to keep it. Measurements on the tag but I can get better pics if needed. Guessing it is about a 38 or a 40.
Sometimes, these are referred to as a "Great Coat". i have a green one. and they are all you need in winter. THE SWAG.

vexco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoutouts to @aging in rhythm for the dope shoes recently. Package tomorrow will make 3 recent pairs. Basically doubling my shoe wardrobe!

Shoutouts to @barrelntrigger for the package a month or so ago. Not sure if I ever got around to thanking you!

@Mr G from SD for the dope McQueen and @Cj52racers for 2 trades in the past 2 months which resulted in me getting dope ****. Also thanks to @colorvision for the women's Drkshdw selvedge.

Thanks guys! If you ever see me post something you want, just say it!

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

@SpooPoker the only thing I can say for sure right now is that I WANT it.

My gut feeling is early 1900s--WWI or II. Quick research shows it's most likely naval: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ensign_of_the_United_States as they used 13 star flags into the 1900s. From the pictures it looks mostly machine sewn--is there any hand stitching? If I were forced to guess from what I know right now, I'd say it hung in a naval office, was used in a ceremony, or was made as a gift (or in memory). No matter what, you have something seriously valuable there. The name that keeps popping up is Jeff Bridgman, an antique flag dealer in Pennsylvania. He buys flags, so maybe shoot him some detailed photos and see what he says. I'll keep researching because it seriously interests me.

Oh, and what does the fabric feel like?

This one is similar but reads older, I think:

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/m...a/hand-sewn-13-star-flag-banner/id-f_2576812/

Thanks very much for that - I kept running into that name too, and I sent him an email last night. If anyone would know I think it would be him. There is machine stitching, not hand stitching - and its made of silk.

Hopefully he gets back to me today with some info. It would be pretty awesome if this really rare!

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edit:

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know we had the onion article recently but this is from today: http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/29/news/thift-land-charity-scam/index.html I think we should organize an angry mob and take this into our own hands kinda justice. These guys are messing with our business.
Anyone else think that Savers rides that line pretty closely/ They don't put out bins or anything, but they're 100% for profit. They make substantial donations to charities, but their primary business model is profit based; they're not a qualified non-profit (at least I don't think so).
I am new to this thread, but you all inspired me to go thrifting in my neck of the woods. I think I found some decent things, but wondered if you could tell me where I scored and where I struck out. (Pics to come)
If you live in the NY metro area, skip it. Not just because you're my competition, because prices are getting out of hand, competition is absurd and the reward (by which I mean finding cool stuff) on time investment is at an all time low. Better bet is to trade with people here.
Not ever.
First post, discussing what was paid for the item, currently taboo. Posts #76, 86, 98 all talking about selling on eBay. All of this in the first 100 posts
Flipping greases the wheels, it is inextricably linked to the game.
I think Eazy beat me to it and has it right. The tone and tenor of treating that aspect of the coin was different -- a necessary evil and a much more subtle, subdued, gentlemen's discussion. It's more the focus now. It can sometimes be tolerable, but often more appropriate for the ebay thread (though of course there's a gray area). And as I've observed before, the thread is a living breathing thing that will evolve. It just is. But I too prefer some of the previous iterations.
Is Sartorialism anyone here? Just bought this and obviously they want to cancel now, what do I do - I've never been in this situation: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/231651276519?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT If it's somebody here I'll do it no problem.
I've never not honored a sale; it's reportable. But it's up to you what you do. As others say, you may want to contact him and see if you can generate an IOU, without being too jerky about it. That being said, my personal opinion is he's being kind of an ass even asking you to cancel. That's the ***** of the free market. ----- I thought I quoted TJGent, but I guess not: HOLY CRAP! Congrats. Always nice to flip the jacket open to see that label, isn't it?

ahk11

Reaction score
Nothing major here but a significant haul for Newport News, VA. We don't have any high end clothing here so seeing this stuff pop up is practically a miracle. Based on the name in the Sammy jacket, a local high powered attorney decided to do a little closet cleaning and everything has wound up at a shop right near my office. All available

I don't usually pick up "346" unless its the older decent stuff but I couldn't pass on NWT linen. Pop on the mainline LP too.

Sammy SC, Zegna suit, Canali suit, Zegna SC

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads