• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well my wife probably would have "hella" killed me if I bought another Versace shirt

My wife almost killed me when I walked down the stairs wearing a Loro Piana jacket with my flannel pajama bottoms, and said, "all that's missing is a $6,000 suit..."

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I posted a pic of this jacket back when I got it at an estate sale, finally got around to taking some better pics. Anyone know much about vintage Belstaff Trialmasters? This has the Lightning zipper, which I think dates it to early/mid-60s?

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My wife almost killed me when I walked down the stairs wearing a Loro Piana jacket with my flannel pajama bottoms, and said, "all that's missing is a $6,000 suit..."

Thanks for the mental pic, kinda reminds me of the first time I looked at the thread and the first picture I saw was a shirtless @barrelntrigger Wearing a Barbour jacket

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I walk by it every day, at least 3 months since the last jacket was added to my pile. Have a suit, 2 jackets, 5 pants all new waiting to take to the tailor and I never make time. Am I a hoarder?

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I walk by it every day, at least 3 months since the last jacket was added to my pile. Have a suit, 2 jackets, 5 pants all new waiting to take to the tailor and I never make time. Am I a hoarder?

no, you're a thrifter.

funny coincidence, i finally went to the tailor yesterday, i had a small pile too. now that mofo wants a small pile of $.

learning to do my own alterations to keep it thrifty.

Principle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think my tailor employs a sentimental tactic of constantly having his family in the shop with him. Every other week or so, when I pick up my stuff from him, and PARTICULARLY when there are other customers there, he shakes my hand firmly and tells everyone in all of the Turkish-English accent he can muster, that I'm a 'good boy.'

inlove.gif

dukedishin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I posted a pic of this jacket back when I got it at an estate sale, finally got around to taking some better pics. Anyone know much about vintage Belstaff Trialmasters? This has the Lightning zipper, which I think dates it to early/mid-60s?

I know that if that's a 40, it's mine.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cripes, go a single day and you miss 200+ posts. I wanted to comment on so many; left thumbs instead.

Only comment I'll leave is on Wes' story about the guy getting into his car: last time I had a rental car in Las Vegas, I filled up the gas tank after hitting some thrifts, went inside to buy a Coke or something, then came back out and was getting into the car when a lady in the passenger seat started yelling "What do you think you're doing?! HALP police! Car-jacking!!" Turned out my white nondescript Oldsmobuick whatever it was rental was the same as her car and I was getting into the wrong car. Scared the **** out of her, and she me.

Ever since then, I put a giant marital aid on the dashboard of a rental car - that way I know it's mine.

Also - thrifting in Vegas sucks. Don't waste your time or money - you're better off making wagers on Fremont and seeing some sights instead.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tie is real dude.
Literally ******* LOL. LOL.
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

@ Entire thread - play this in the background while you read the next 10 pages.

Carmina Burana by Carl Orff. My favorite music composition of ALL TIME. One of the most amazing things I have ever seen and heard. There is one aria that I challenged my college girlfriend to sing (she was a music major) because I didn't think she could. She did. I almost F'd here right there. I'll see if I can find it.

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NNOUNCEMENT TO ALL OF THOSE HERE that EVER OR WILL EVER NEED TO PURCHASE A TIE OR A COUPLE...IN ROUGHLY TWO WEEKS OR SO, WHEN IM TRULY READY FOR A SEAMLESS INVENTORY CHANGE MAKING SURE THAT AVAILABLE INVENTORY STAYS CONSISTENT...I WILL BE LIQUIDATING ABOUT 85% OF OF THE 310-320 TIES I HAVE POSTED...I WILL EITHER BE GOING WITH A BY 2 FOR HALF OFF AND GET 3 FOR FREE WITH FREE SHIPPING, OR GO WITH A FLAT RATE OF 5 DOLLARS FOR EVERYTHING AND IF YOU BUY 10 YOU GET 5 FOR FREE, FREE SHIPPING, HAVEN'T DECIDED ON IT YET, BUT ESSENTIALLY IM GIVING AWAY IT ALL AND COMPETELY RESTRUCTURING MY BUSINESS PLAN AS FAR AS TIE INVENTORY IS CONCERNED BECAUSE IT DOESN'T MATCH THE DIRECTION OF WHICH THE REST OF THE STORE IS AND WILL BE GOING IN AND MAINTAINING BEGINNING IN ABOUT A COUPLE HOURS OR SO....SO GIVE EM A BROWSE WHEN YOU HAVE A CHANCE, AND DONT GET CRAZY AND THINK THE ACTUAL GOOD **** IS GONNA BE 5 BUCKS ALSO, BUT I WOULD SAY AT ABOUT IKE BEHAR STATUS AND EVERYTHING AT THAT LEVEL OR NEAR IT, WILL BE GIVEN TO THE LOWEST BIDDER....MY NEW PLAN IS ******* EPIC, AND I WILL SHARE ABSOLUTELY NONE OF IT...ACTUALLY ILL SHARE THE VERY FIRST PART OF IT AND THATS ALL CUZ ITS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT. ROBERT TALBOTT WILL NEVER EVER BE STOCKED IN MY INVENTORY, AT ANY TIME FOR AY REASON, UNLESS IT IT IS STRICTLY ONE OF THEIR VINTAGE ITALIAN SILK GRENADINE GARAZA GROSSA TIES, CUZ I HAD ONE ONCE AND IT WAS REALLY NICE, BUT GRENADINE FINA DOESN'T MAKE THE CUT. THIS A LONE AND MY TIE GAME IS BALLING ALREADY....

If you ever need a tie for anyting coming up and you didnt read above, I would rethink this decision and do it because it will be here sooner than later for sure.

THE FOLLOWING I TOOK PICTURES OF WHILE TAKING A BREAK FROM, WELL, TAKING PICTURES ACTUALLY... ITS AN FAIRLY SMALL SAMPLE PORTION OF WHAT IS GOING TO BEGIN TO MAKE UP PART OF WHAT WILL BE MY NEW TIE INVENTORY, SPECIFICALLY IT IS ALL ENGLISH SILK I HAVE BEEN ACQURING THIS WHOLE TIME. DOING THIS HAS TAKEN FOREVER BECAUSE MOST AMERICANS DO NOT GO OUT OF THEIR WAY TO ACQUIRE AUTHENTIC ENGLISH PRODUCED SILK, THEY JUST PURCHASE TIES THAT REPLICATE THE STYLES CREATED BY THE BRITISH, SO I DECIDED TO GRAB A DRAWER AND TAKE SOME SHOTS BECAUSE THESE WERE ACQUIRED SO SPORADICALLY AND RANDOMLY THAT I DON'T THINK I HAVE EVER SHARED ANY OF THEM. ESSENTIALLY I LOVE ENGLISH SILK, MAYBE YOU WILL TOO.

I WOULD LIKE TO NOTE AND GET OUT OF THE WAY THAT I LOOKED OVER THESE AND ABOUT 4 OF THE FOLLOWING WERE E-THRIFTED, SPECIFICALLY THE NEWER ONES, ENGLISH SILK IS SO TOUGH AND WITH THE GOALS I HAVE SET I NEED TO BE ABLE TO SUPPLY A WELL ROUNDED SELECTION, BOTH ORIGINAL AND NEW MODELS THAT WILL BE SKEWED VERSIONS OF ORIGINAL ENGLISH INFLUENCE, SIMPLE MARKETING HERE. BUT BESIDES THAT, ALL HAVE BEEN PAINSTAKENLY ACQUIRED, AND I HAVE MANY MORE BUT LIKE I SAID, I DIDNT SORT ANYTHING, I JUST GRABBED THE TO DRAWER OF TIES TO PHOTOGRAPH.

A VERY LARGE PERCENTAGE OF ENGLISH TIES ARE ACTUALLY CRAFTED BOTH OF SILK AND CONSTRUCTION BY ONLY A HNDFUL OF REALLY REPUTABLE FIRMS. THE FIRST TIE HERE IS ONE OF THEM (DISREGARDING THE FEW YEARS THEY ELOPED TO ITALY FOR PRODUCTION SO THEY COULD ADD 60 BUCKS TO THEIR PRICE TAGS, THEY LEARNED AND THEY CAME BACK) HOLLIDAY & BROWN VERY KEY ENGLISH TIE CRAFTING FIRM, NEXT IS FROM THE FAMOUS BESPOKKE SHIRT MAKER HARVIE AND HUDSON WHO HAVE ALL THEIR TIES CREATED FROM AN EXTREMELY LARGE MANUFACTURER AS WELL IN ENGLAND, CHARLES HILL. THE NEXT IS VERY RECENT AND ABSOLUTELY STUNNING, HOWEVER I DON'T RECOGNIZE THE MAKERS TAG, HOWEVER THE SILK IS ABOUT AS ENGLISH IN DESIGN AS IT CAN GET. THE LAST TWO ARE SEAWARD AND STERNS BOTH E-THRIFTED, BOTH WISH WEREN'T E-THRIFTED.

NEXT, whats almost solely seen on newer english ties, we have a jacquared florette design on the Cravatz of London, a newer english firm that make beautiful ties, new takes on origina english...however historically speaking, English ties are almost entirely purely printed english silk, never using jacquard woven patterns and descreting the work done in creating their silk.

then a wild mini paisley from benjamin James, a geometric polka dot type ancient madder tie from Dickens of London who is made by charles hill,

Next looks like a paisley ancient madder type print for i believe a mans haberdasher called larrimors however this tie was produced by perhaps next in line to drakes, the firm of John Comfort. lastly another harvie and hudson tie in a very traditional English print, also crafted by CHales hill

Mr. John Comforts mainline in wild paisley ancient madder, as detailed and impressive in design as it is distasteful in colorway, but zero chnage that was ever being left behind. HH by Charles hill again, THE ONLY ITALIAN TIE HERE ONLY BECAUSE OF OBVIOUS ENGLISH INSPRIATION BY BRIONI, AND YES I REMEMBER WHAT I SAID, I NEVER SAID THEY ARE ****** OR ANYTHING, THERE NICE ******* TIES. moving on...this small geometric i believe also referred to as ancient madder, is for a mans Haberdasher in South Carolina I believe, however it has Charles Hill tags, another, this time of super think twill silk with a jacquard polka weave HH by Charles hill

Holliday and Brown-this one was e-thrift, but it was like 10 bucks with its $140 dollar price tage and store tag still attached and in the bag, sometimes you have to do certain things. HH by Charles Hill. A grogeous Brown with a very small blue geo madder print by Holliday and Brown, and HH again, and still Charels Hill.

The highly respected and very large firm of John comfort doubles up off the bat, followed by the extremely small oen of Crooks Creek which stays true to English desin always, but the ties in general are pretty crappy with essentially a completel lack of any body or heft. Another Crataz of Londn in a square geometirc jacquard weave (this is ver very new)

Last set, first is nothing English and was gonn toss it aside but i kinda thought that a photo should consisting stricly of English silk and not including a single one of my Turnbull ties would be a possible act of blasphemy, but then again, everything they do now is purely for profit and in now way resembles anythiing of historic taste or refinery. Nest a Hady Amies in a gorgeosu maccesfeild silk, which is an englisih company with a disitincly english silk, but this coul have bee made anywhere. Next is the first of two Ben Silver Cravats im skipping this and just commenting the second, Net we have a tie for Heyword however, if you look closley you can see a manufacturers tag with a distinct green font, this marks the line or Mr Michale Drake, others know as just Michael Drake, or sold as Drakes' Private collection, whatever they **** its a drakes tie, next is a Ben Silver Cravat again, now after taking these pictures i kinda had a thought that i think is true and that this line of ben silver is actualy Itallian crafted and the basic, the Charleston lie is english made, however i figure theres no way they don still use Ben Silver english silk to make em at least, so 2=1, and lastly a vintage Burberry tie in some ancient madder themed desigb, i duno, super englishh but ugly as ****.

CONGRATZ, NOW YUOU CAN CLICK THE NEXT BOX. THIS ONE HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS ONE IN ANY POSSIBLE FORM OR MANNER, I JUST THOUGHT I WOULD GRAB A COUPLE FOR THOSE WHO LOOKED OVER THESE AND FELT LIKE THEY COMPLETELY WASTED THEIR TIME AND DONT GIVE 2 ***** ABOUT ENGLISH SILK, SO THE NEXT BOX CONSISTS OF A SAMPLE SIZE OF THE TYPE OF TIES THAT I KEEP ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE TIE RACK.

THE TIES THAT STAY ON THAT BACK SIDE NEVER PASS THE FURTHERST BACK HANGING SCARF, THUS LIGHT IS NEVER CASTE ON ANY OF THEM, THUS THEY ARE NEVER SEEN OR IN NEED OF EXPLANATION. NONE OF THEM SHOULD BE WORN, HOWEVER I COLLECT THE **** OUF OF THEM BECUASE THEY ARE WORTH A TONE, ARE ISNAELY RARE, ARE NEVER MADE AGAIN, OR SIMPLY I WOULD NEVER FIND ANOTHER ONE SO IT MUST BE BOUGHT....I HAVE A TONE MORE, BUT THESE ARE A COUPLE

The next is a very small sample size of what gets put and stays in the very back of the closet/tie rack, THE RANDOM, RARE, EXPENSIVE, AND THE BALLER. all of this **** maybe worth bank, but this stuff gets hidden and stays hidden, I collect the **** out of it, but having to explain ownership of some of these things, naw, ill let the ties in the front do the taking, these can just continue to e more and more valuable. i dont mind.

The first one is actually very nice and very rare, and uickly, i recieved it in a trade, and it was at the top of the box, and i saw this and thought that this indivudal actually thought that topping off a trade with a ******* brooks Brothers ties was like some icing on the cake or some sht, and i was just in shock, however i looked at it closely. its 100% wool however super rare, becuase unlike all their other wool offerings, this one is created using wool specifically from the Saxxon Millery dating mack to the 18 century, that they willl sometimes use to craft their primo lines like golden fleece. I actaully really like this thing. Oh and he told me that he went out and he bought it brand new as well so, that turned out to be the perfect icing on the cake of the deal

Next, from the same company that i just sold a shooting vest that I purchased for 10 dollars and got 350 bucks for, HOLLAND & HOLLAND 100% CASHMERE TIE WHICH IS ALSO, ACCORDING TO THE MANUFACTURERS TAG, HAPPESN TO BE MADE BY A COMPNAY CALLED DRAKES OF LONDON. THIS ******* THING IS SOMETHING I WILL NEVER AGAIN SEE IN MY LIFE AND IS WORTH A ******* TON, IT ALSO IS UGLY AS ****.
LAST, UNLESS YOU KNOW TIES VERY VERY VERY WELL, YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS COMPANY, HOWEVER THEY ARE TOP 3 MOST EXPSNEIVE TIES AT RETAIL OTR, IN THE WORLD. VANDA FINE CLOTHING IS THE COMPANY, AND IBELIEVE RETAIL PER TIE BEGINS AT ABOUTT 350, HOWEVER THE AMOUNT OF ACTUAL PLACES TO PURCHASE THEM I DON'T THINK EXCEEDS THE NUMBER 3, AT LEAST ONLINE THAT IS OTHERWISE YOU HAVE TO PLACE BESPOKE ORDERS DIRECT I THINK. THIS ONE IS ALL HAND MADE UNLINNED UNTIPPED 7 FOLD WOOL, ALSO A TIE I PROMISE THAT UNLESS YOU BUY ONE, YOU WILL NEVER SEE IN PERSON IN YOUR LIFE. SO I MADE SURE TO TAKE CARE OF THAT.

I WASN'T LOOKING WHEN I THOUGH ABOUT THIS I JUST GRABBED A HANDFUL, SO THE FIRST ONE DOES HAPPEN TO BE RARE, BUT THATS WHERE IT ENDS. ITS A LUIGI BORRELLI NAPOLI ROYAL COLLECTION TE, THEIR PREMIUM LINE THAT ESSENTIALLY HAS ZERO TRUE RETAIL CIRCULATION AND YOU CAN'T BUY THEM EXCEPT FOR LIKE 5 OR SO THAT ARE BRAND NEW ON EBAY, BESIDES THAT HAVE FUN.
then, from what is now Berluti, the defunct Arnys line, true true thrift, like 2 bucks true, and an ******* awesome collectors piec....My dumb ******* ass actually listed another I had on ebay and accepted an 80 dollar offer for it, im still kicking myself for that ****.

none of the rest, but the Borrelli? without a doubt will fairly shortly be maintaining a residence located on ebay, there is zero reaoson or appeal and not cool to collect or own or anything,...and i have sooooo many better options that could have been ******* grabbed too....

Lastly the two brands i will never ever ever not purchase, and im talking that im buying even if its one of those special designer days at a thrift where they take all the good stuff out and skyrocket the price of ****, which is exactly how the blue one was obtained, for 35 dollars to be exact, but fuckit, i woulda paid double, i collect em and i didn't have nor had ever seeen that one before.

next, super rare 100% silk charcoal gray boucle tie from the wonderful house of Chanel. This is probably my favorite chanel tie I have jmerely due to their famous boucle fabric being implemented into their mens tiewear line....and then one of my Tom Ford for YSL Rive Gauche ties that i love coming up on. Glad I grabbed this one if it was any, cuz this one specifically is 26% cashmere/silk blend, also cool when you first find out how hard Zegna jocked TF's dick with that logo selvage lin on the tie edge.

i apologize, i could have photgraphed many more, but i just dont have time, but i just thought id give you a taste of the other world of neckwear i dabble in, an know hat it never ever ever sees lthe ight of day ever.

so you got a preview of the new direction with part of my tie inventory, whats gonna happen truly with that and whatt and how and amount and availability and everything else is gonna be seen when everyone else sees them for the first time too, roughly 300 new ties get unveiled and you will actually be able to truly see how one turns an inventory of over 300 ties he hates, into an very intricate, specifically strategized, inventory of ties that not only goes hand in hand with the stores fouding princples and all but does far far more than just that, just merely by the strategization aviability, selection etc... you see how a master applies his trade. it never hurts to do **** perfectly, so im gonna go ahead anddd to do that with my tie inventory...

And then you got a sneak peak at some of the weird and extremely valueble. and know that the surface hasn't even been scratched with that category, however if your ever intersted, well dont be cuz you will never see any of them, ever, ever make an ebay appearnace. These bitches are mine for life. And with that, Im out, I hope ive opened your eyes to the beauty of english ssilk and their tie craftmanships and the actual TRUE, REAL ENGLISH TIE MANUFACTURERS, NOT JUST DRAKES, THE IG BOYS AND HOW FAR THEY REACH, but if i ddin't, I apprecate you takin a glance anyway with an open mind to at least try and see why i have an obsession. Either way, you probably learned something so all is not lost. Peace.

Last edited:

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carmina Burana by Carl Orff. My favorite music composition of ALL TIME. One of the most amazing things I have ever seen and heard. There is one aria that I challenged my college girlfriend to sing (she was a music major) because I didn't think she could. She did. I almost F'd here right there. I'll see if I can find it.

Hah! I was watching The Omen the other night for the first time in years - - and had heard the music in the interim and was like FINALLY I know what that's from!
Just listened to the JG Thirlwell / David Harrington (Kronos Quartet) talk on thetalkhouse.com and they were discussion epiphany / revelation moments in music, and yeah this was one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads