• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

David P70

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First post on the forum so a bit of an intro and then thrift share. First off, thanks to everybody who posts. You help guys like me a ton. Not just in this thread but this entire forum has been a major boon to me. I joined the forum about 3 weeks ago and had lurked for about 2 weeks prior to that. At 46 I decided that I needed to dress better and more consciously but I have no clue regarding style. I found the forum, like many I imagine, by searching for things like "best suits" and "best shoes" and "how to dress and not look like an idiot". While reading all of the "hierarchy of X" posts I also started hitting sales and thrifting.

I didn't find this forum until after I started and made a couple of mistakes in the beginning. I've come to find that I love thrifting. I've done it for books before as I love rare books but there's something very satisfying about thrifitng clothes too. I'm still learning what to look for and of course SF and eBay are constantly open on my phone at the thrift stores. If you see something here that I should avoid in the future then please advise. A lot of good stuff that I've found (Canali for Harrod's suit, RLPL pants,etc) isn't here because it's at the tailor's but I'm adding the stuff that hasn't gone yet.

First purchase, first mistake. Not only in terms of brand but there's no way it will ever fit. I hadn't found SF yet and was "brand" shopping and listening to the woman who worked at the store who, in retrospect, knows surprisingly little.

Then I found this and felt better about myself.

No wear at all on the cuffs or buckles. It must have sat in somebody's closet for 30 years or is a really well done fake.

Luciano Barbera Linen

My pride and joy...Tricker's Allan boots for $100. Had them cleaned and new heels put on for less than $40.

Without this forum I would never know to look for these. They're either new without tags or have barely been worn. I have another pair of Incotex pants at the tailor.

More pants...

A few shirts and ties...

Sorry the post was so long. I've been thinking about posting for a couple of weeks but finally decided to run with it. I posted about a quarter of what I've found. I have more suits than I could possibly ever need now as I love finding them but rarely wear them for work. I have to start looking for reasons to wear something other than jeans and a t-shirt. Time to get a social life.

Edited for grammar and spelling.

Last edited:

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spiewak Golden Fleece Titan jacket

Pile-o-trad
J press tweed, harvie & Hudson, Alden

Chotii

Reaction score
Aw, man, don't make me regret what I thought was an insanely high happy price!

Versace Guy

Reaction score
@David P70
Welcome to the forum. That black label Armani suit should still flip well provide that it is authentic. Armani is usually hated on here, but a canvassed black label suit is still better quality than the likes of Canali, HF, etc

Last edited:

David P70

Reaction score
@David P70
Welcome to the forum. That black label Armani suit should still flip well provide that it is authentic
@Versace Guy Thanks for the welcome. I have no idea how to tell if it's authentic but I'll look for some resources online to help me out. Thanks!

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys, First post on the forum so a bit of an intro and then thrift share. First off, thanks to everybody who posts. You help guys like me a ton. Not just in this thread but this entire forum has been a major boon to me. I joined the forum about 3 weeks ago and had lurked for about 2 weeks prior to that. At 46 I decided that I needed to dress better and more consciously but I have no clue regarding style. I found the forum, like many I imagine, by searching for things like "best suits" and "best shoes" and "how to dress and not look like an idiot". While reading all of the "hierarchy of X" posts I also started hitting sales and thrifting.
I didn't find this forum until after I started and made a couple of mistakes in the beginning. I've come to find that I love thrifting. I've done it for books before as I love rare books but there's something very satisfying about thrifitng clothes too. I'm still learning what to look for and of course SF and eBay are constantly open on my phone at the thrift stores. If you see something here that I should avoid in the future then please advise. A lot of good stuff that I've found (Canali for Harrod's suit, RLPL pants,etc) isn't here because it's at the tailor's but I'm adding the stuff that hasn't gone yet. First purchase, first mistake. Not only in terms of brand but there's no way it will ever fit. I hadn't found SF yet and was "brand" shopping and listening to the woman who worked at the store who, in retrospect, knows surprisingly little. Then I found this and felt better about myself. No wear at all on the cuffs or buckles. It must have sat in somebody's closet for 30 years or is a really well done fake.
Luciano Barbera Linen
My pride and joy...Tricker's Allan boots for $100. Had them cleaned and new heels put on for less than $40.
Without this forum I would never know to look for these. They're either new without tags or have barely been worn. I have another pair of Incotex pants at the tailor.
More pants...
A few shirts and ties...
Sorry the post was so long. I've been thinking about posting for a couple of weeks but finally decided to run with it. I posted about a quarter of what I've found. I have more suits than I could possibly ever need now as I love finding them but rarely wear them for work. I have to start looking for reasons to wear something other than jeans and a t-shirt. Time to get a social life. Edited for grammar and spelling.
We've followed a very similar path, and I think that's true for many on this forum. It's never too late to develop your style. Nice job!

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some highlights from the past couple of weeks. Mostly NA.

Bleeding madras.

Hickey Freeman linen suit, 40. Not sure what the pattern is called. Not really striped because they're too close together and resolve to a solid even from a couple of feet.

J Press micro-herringbone flannel, 44.

BB glen plaid, Saxxon wool, 46.

Etro cord hacking jacket, 42.

Wish it fit me. Canali Brown label, linen/cotton.

Usually don't get wowed by BB shirts, but this is different.

Actual sea island cotton. Not the more ubiquitous sea island 'quality' shirts advertised by retailers.

100% linen, XL.

Ties:

Two vintage RT "shantung" slubby ties.

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys,

First post on the forum so a bit of an intro and then thrift share.  First off, thanks to everybody who posts.  You help guys like me a ton.  Not just in this thread but this entire forum has been a major boon to me.  I joined the forum about 3 weeks ago and had lurked for about 2 weeks prior to that.  At 46 I decided that I needed to dress better and more consciously but I have no clue regarding style.  I found the forum, like many I imagine, by searching for things like "best suits" and "best shoes" and "how to dress and not look like an idiot".  While reading all of the "hierarchy of X" posts I also started hitting sales and thrifting. 

I didn't find this forum until after I started and made a couple of mistakes in the beginning.  I've come to find that I love thrifting.  I've done it for books before as I love rare books but there's something very satisfying about thrifitng clothes too.  I'm still learning what to look for and of course SF and eBay are constantly open on my phone at the thrift stores.  If you see something here that I should avoid in the future then please advise.  A lot of good stuff that I've found (Canali for Harrod's suit, RLPL pants,etc) isn't here because it's at the tailor's but I'm adding the stuff that hasn't gone yet.

Welcome to the forum! Fantastic first post. That LB linen is gorgeous!

David P70

Reaction score
We've followed a very similar path, and I think that's true for many on this forum. It's never too late to develop your style. Nice job!

Thanks, Tyrone. After reading a lot of the first post/questions that new guys ask I've got the sense that it's a fairly common story. I've bought a lot of clothes in the last month but now need to learn how to actually wear them. Thanks!

Dirt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@David P70 Welcome! Nice haul and as far as the Armani suit, any makers tags inside the inner pockets should help to identify it.

Huge shoutout to @Jompso Not only did this guy hook me up well beyond our actual trade but he knew I would need to have the jacket altered so what does he do? Includes a NWT skeet to help offset the cost of alterations. Super good dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads