• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gruff

Reaction score
Does anybody know which model of RRL denim is a straight leg with at least a mid-rise?

Most of the items on the website look to be slim-fit and no idea about the rise, but I've noticed with the RRL denim that I do own, it's difficult to do a shirt-tuck with every pair. Always feel like I'm gonna show ass-crack or my shirt is coming untucked, and pulling the pants up gets mighty uncomfortable on the boys. It'd be nice to find a pair with a slightly higher rise for when I need a tuck.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Does anybody know which model of RRL denim is a straight leg with at least a mid-rise?  

Most of the items on the website look to be slim-fit and no idea about the rise, but I've noticed with the RRL denim that I do own, it's difficult to do a shirt-tuck with every pair.  Always feel like I'm gonna show ass-crack or my shirt is coming untucked, and pulling the pants up gets mighty uncomfortable on the boys.  It'd be nice to find a pair with a slightly higher rise for when I need a tuck.

Slim Straight

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most of the items on the website look to be slim-fit and no idea about the rise, but I've noticed with the RRL denim that I do own, it's difficult to do a shirt-tuck with every pair.  Always feel like I'm gonna show ass-crack or my shirt is coming untucked, and pulling the pants up gets mighty uncomfortable on the boys.  It'd be nice to find a pair with a slightly higher rise for when I need a tuck.

Slim straight is the cut you want......

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, I'll take a look at the slim straight pieces.

The slim bootcut is also worth a look - the boot 'flare' is pretty subtle and they have a decent rise.

Gruff

Reaction score
The slim bootcut is also worth a look - the boot 'flare' is pretty subtle and they have a decent rise.

I've got a pair of slim bootcuts that I've tried tucking. Wore them last week, actually. Tuck was ok but it helps that I had a waistcoat on. Agree that the flare on RRL bootcuts isn't as pronounced as some other brands.

It might just be that I'm not used to tucking shirts into denim.

Last edited:

oceansaway

Reaction score

Slim straight is the cut you want......

I don't see that RRL makes a "slim straight" any longer. They make the "slim fit" and the "slim narrow" (as well as the low straight and straight fit). The straight fit, by the way, has the highest rise.

Koi-Pond

Reaction score
Just received 3 items in mail, thought I'd record impressions:

1. Indigo Corduroy Sportcoat: Exceeded all reasonable expectations. Quality of indigo dying and accompanying distressing is exactly as the detail pictures on the website would have you believe or better. Fits slightly large through the body and sleeve, significantly more room than, for example, last season's McGraw jacket.

2. Jungle Cloth Vest: Love the fireman catch detail at the waist, buttons are a very welcome detail. Slim fit, and is not nearly as dark as the website photo would have you believe. More of a grey/blue than a navy.

3. Striped Cotton Trouser. Buy these immediately. Extremely solid construction, slightly slimmer fit than I was expecting. Was initially going to get the pant and leave it at that, but will now have to attempt to pick up the vest and sportcoat as well.

ispace

Reaction score
Last edited:

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is this the $490 pair (https://m.ralphlauren.com/#/product/87370146?productId=87370146&_k=vjcq99)?

That's a lot of cash for cotton pants. Are they made in China?

I've been pretty happy with the quality of construction on the RRL Made in China stuff that I have (a couple of pair of pants and OC). While I'm not crazy about paying $$$$ for RRL to make max profits on exploiting cheap labor, if it's on sale (still RRL making HUGE way over what most brands make in terms of profits) I'll feel a little bit better. I suppose that doesn't impact what the poor folks making this stuff make, or their conditions, there has to be some pragmatism to my shopping and I don't think there's much out there that can compete with the quality of RRL.

Gruff

Reaction score
I've been pretty happy with the quality of construction on the RRL Made in China stuff that I have (a couple of pair of pants and OC). While I'm not crazy about paying $$$$ for RRL to make max profits on exploiting cheap labor, if it's on sale (still RRL making HUGE way over what most brands make in terms of profits) I'll feel a little bit better. I suppose that doesn't impact what the poor folks making this stuff make, or their conditions, there has to be some pragmatism to my shopping and I don't think there's much out there that can compete with the quality of RRL.

All valid points but keep in mind that without your demand for RRL steez, those Chinese workers wouldn't have jobs in the first place. Exploitation is absolutely wrong, but the solution is to press for better labor laws and worker's rights.

Which is all to say, don't fell TOO bad about kopping RRL, because demand creates jobs. Agree that RRL is best kopped on sale, though. :)

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

All valid points but keep in mind that without your demand for RRL steez, those Chinese workers wouldn't have jobs in the first place.  Exploitation is absolutely wrong, but the solution is to press for better labor laws and worker's rights.

Which is all to say, don't fell TOO bad about kopping RRL, because demand creates jobs.  Agree that RRL is best kopped on sale, though.  :)

I agree. And to be fair, the workers overseas in relation to cost of living there. While the pragmatist in me looks the other way, I do feel that it indirectly hurts jobs and quality of life here for garment workers as jobs fly over there, and that makes me cringe a bit, especially as the owner of a business trying to keep jobs here in America.

Gruff

Reaction score
I agree. And to be fair, the workers overseas in relation to cost of living there. While the pragmatist in me looks the other way, I do feel that it indirectly hurts jobs and quality of life here for garment workers as jobs fly over there, and that makes me cringe a bit, especially as the owner of a business trying to keep jobs here in America.

Absolutely. But jobs here vs there is a political issue, not economic. As a business owner I'm sure you're always looking at costs, and from an economic standpoint it makes perfect sense to move production to where labor costs are cheaper. Politically, though, it pisses people off.

And it's frankly understandable. Our leaders have a responsibility to make the life of your average American better, not your average Chinese, so keeping jobs in America is a plus for us. On the other hand, one could argue that the prevalence of jobs in China leads to an increased emphasis on labor laws and worker's rights, which historically has been one major source for the growth of democracy and democratic principles (reference Solidarity in Poland, 1970s/80s). To the extent that this influences China and helps it move towards being a more democratic, responsible global stakeholder might be the entire world's gain.

I think the point is, it's not all so black and white with respect to where RRL's produced. These are questions that go beyond our personal enjoyment of the brand, however.

Fenderplyr

Reaction score

Not RRL but thought everyone would appreciate these rough out engineers from ace boot co

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads