• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

deez nuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gambler and Plaid western while playing in a snow pile with my daughter

Boss moves right there. I'd be scared to get snow on it lol.

RobearH

Reaction score
Depends how tall you are too.
How so?

If I have over 40 shirts (workshirt and western) and only one I returned due to length and and fit was the polka dot shirt I mentioned above...I wasn't taller when wearing that one over the others.

Last edited:

Dave_SFU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How so?

If I have over 40 shirts (workshirt and western) and only one I returned due to length and and fit was the polka dot shirt I mentioned above...I wasn't taller when wearing that one over the others.

Im 5'6. A size medium shirt for example is going to be longer on me than it is on someone who is 5'10 and has more body length to take up

Roggie Rog

Reaction score
Got my RRL shipment today.

Star Iron Shirt is unreal. The fabric is amazing. Fit feels like my Spellbound shirt - fitted like an old school workshirt.

Also got the wool buffalo-check cardigan and the zip-front trapper shirt. I love the wool on these - thick and soft. I really want to like it, but the trapper shirt is just a funny cut. The buffalo-check is awesome, but not sure if it's right for me, either.

Then was in a store today and scored this Black Label water resistant, hooded biker jacket on sale. This is really an amazing piece with a lot of details. Feels like oil cloth, but it's a water resistant cotton/poly blend. The cuffs are zip and snap with leather trim. Adjustable cords everywhere. Removable hood. Really awesome jacket

How do you feel about the fit of the Star Iron Ore shirt? Its a BEAUTIFUL shirt. However, of the 2 dozen RRl shiorts that I own, all in a size medium, the Star Iron Ore, as well as this seasons red chambray--incorrectly described as selvedge, as it is not, the chambray steamfitter--also not selvedge, and the indigo checked workshirt, ALL taper at the waist. I was VERY disappointed when I received them all and this is how they fit me. I'm 6'0", 175lb, and have a 36 waist. I returned all but exchanged the Star Iron Ore for a large and it still fits pretty well. Not too loose, yet I'd rather it fit as clean as a medium in the shoulders and chest. I was EXTREMELY disappointed at the cuts of these shirts; a very unfortunate dealbreaker. I still have the Star Iron Ore with tags attached as I'm still on the fence on this $320 purchase. I may have it darted by a good tailor.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you feel about the fit of the Star Iron Ore shirt? Its a BEAUTIFUL shirt. However, of the 2 dozen RRl shiorts that I own, all in a size medium, the Star Iron Ore, as well as this seasons red chambray--incorrectly described as selvedge, as it is not, the chambray steamfitter--also not selvedge, and the indigo checked workshirt, ALL taper at the waist. I was VERY disappointed when I received them all and this is how they fit me. I'm 6'0", 175lb, and have a 36 waist. I returned all but exchanged the Star Iron Ore for a large and it still fits pretty well. Not too loose, yet I'd rather it fit as clean as a medium in the shoulders and chest. I was EXTREMELY disappointed at the cuts of these shirts; a very unfortunate dealbreaker. I still have the Star Iron Ore with tags attached as I'm still on the fence on this $320 purchase. I may have it darted by a good tailor.
You are 6'0, 175 lb, and have 36 waist? There must be a typo somewhere. I'm 5'7, 175 lbs and have a 33 waist. A medium usually fits me, but not always. I am not sure how a medium could possibly fit somebody with a 36 waist.

Dudeasincool

Reaction score
I'm interesting in purchasing the RRL Indian Varsity Jacket but am unclear as to whether to get a small or medium. The specs for the Medium are: Shoulder to shoulder: 19". Sleeves: 26.5", Pit to Pit: 22.5". length from base of collar to bottom: 27". The Small's specs are 21 inches pit to pit, and the length the collar to bottom is 25.5 inches. Is there a rule of thumb for Varsity Jackets -- should they hang a bit loose or tight?

Last edited:

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with your and Robear's assessment of the fit. I have a medium, and I actually just ordered a large to compare. The medium shoulders are perfect, but the tapering is odd, as you say.

I pulled out all my other RRL button downs to compare fits. I have a one of the slim Western shirts from a few years ago and a slim selvedge, and this is slimmer than both, except in the shoulders.

I'm having second thoughts and will see how I feel when I get the large. It's possible I return them both. For $320, as you say, I'm feeling like it needs to be perfect.

I'll report back.

Last edited:

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm interesting in purchasing the RRL Indian Varsity Jacket but am unclear as to whether to get a small or medium.  The specs for the Medium are: Shoulder to shoulder: 19". Sleeves: 26.5", Pit to Pit: 22.5". length from base of collar to bottom: 27".  The Small's specs are  21 inches pit to pit, and the length the collar to bottom is  25.5 inches.  Is there a rule of thumb for Varsity Jackets -- should they hang a bit loose or tight?   

The rule is wear it the way you feel comfortable, the look can be pretty versatile. If you want to go bigger maybe 1/2 to 1 inch bigger in chest/shoulder of your measurements. Although nothing wrong with getting it spot on to your measurements, that's the way I prefer it. As a general rule the jacket should fall a little below the waist

RobearH

Reaction score
I agree with your and Robear's assessment of the fit. I have a medium, and I actually just ordered a large to compare. The medium shoulders are perfect, but the tapering is odd, as you say.

I pulled out all my other RRL button downs to compare fits. I have a one of the slim Western shirts from a few years ago and a slim selvedge, and this is slimmer than both, except in the shoulders.

I'm having second thoughts and will see how I feel when I get the large. It's possible I return them both. For $320, as you say, I'm feeling like it needs to be perfect.

I'll report back.

cool thanks
Ha...glad to see you and the OP understood what I was trying to convey and that stature has nothing to do with it when opinion is coming from one person of an obvious static height
colgate.gif

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ha...glad to see you and the OP understood what I was trying to convey and that stature has nothing to do with it when opinion is coming from one person of an obvious static height  :colgate:

I actually just lined the shirt up against a selvedge workshirt from this summer, and the tails are about 1" shorter, but the sides are even more - about 2" shorter.

It's an odd but beautiful shirt.

rrlgambler

Reaction score
This is may have been answered already, but I does anyone know if they make RRL peices specifically for the outlets? I recently won an auction online for a cashmere shawl cardigan on ebay that was outlet tagged that felt significantly thinner than the same one I felt in the actual RRL store. The label reads the same but the weight of the cashmere is much thinner. Any thoughts...
Anyone know...

Trimalchio

Reaction score
Anyone know...
I don't believe so. No evidence of that. So far. I have come across denim washes in fits that we're part of the season. I don't know where those came from or why. Maybe they were made for different markets but not sure. Or maybe they're just a lot older than I'm aware of.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads