• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mollysdad

Reaction score
Incoming!!

IMG_8681.jpeg

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Last year sale, started June 28 with additional items added July 26.
In 2021 sale started June 24.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol. Are these the Slim Fits that many were complaining about fitting weird and generally not up to snuff of years past? Need a new pair of (almost) “raws.”

kurdo

Reaction score
I only got into RRL last year. Before last year, I didn't pay much attention to fashion. I like RRL a lot and will stick to it for the foreseeable future.

However, I also love the look of some Purple Label items. While RRL is on the higher-end, Purple Label is even more expensive. Why is that? Is the quality that much better?

For example, this Purple Label jacket goes for 3500 euros:

purplelabeljakcet.jpg

While this RRL jacket goes for 1850 euros, almost half:

rrljacket.jpg

Materials used are the same, the design and colors are a bit different. The Purple Label jacket is "made in Italy", the RRL jacket is "imported".

Some differences and I could come up with reasons to justify the Purple Label's higher price tag, but not a 2x.

I recently ordered a linen Purple Label shirt with flower print. It's the most I have ever paid for a shirt, but I really like it and I badly need some new linen shirts for the summer months. I haven't received it yet, but I do expect to be overwhelmed by its quality. If it feels and looks not much different from other shirts, I will obviously be returning it.

Your insights/opinions are appreciated

PS: the Purple Label jacket is currently in the private sale with 30% off. The RRL jacket is not. So the price difference is, as of now, smaller (2440 euros vs 1850 euros).

Randelpink

Reaction score
That leather quality looks better on the PL from the photos provided. Where the leather is sourced from and how it’s tanned are also mega cost contributors. Last thing I noticed is the PL has a couple extra flap pockets in its design and a throat tab, the little things add up with RL

kurdo

Reaction score
That leather quality looks better on the PL from the photos provided. Where the leather is sourced from and how it’s tanned are also mega cost contributors. Last thing I noticed is the PL has a couple extra flap pockets in its design and a throat tab, the little things add up with RL
I wouldn't know what to look for to differentiate good quality leather (RRL?) from excellent quality leather (PL). I would've never noticed or taken the extra flap pockets and throat tab into account if you didn't mention it.

Would you say the price/quality difference is proportionate between RRL & PL (in general, based on your own experience)?

Randelpink

Reaction score
Can’t help you there, I don’t own anything PL. What I have from RRL is very high quality IMO, but certainly a big fetch on the MSRP for 99% of their offerings across both labels.

Pakman161

Reaction score
I wouldn't know what to look for to differentiate good quality leather (RRL?) from excellent quality leather (PL). I would've never noticed or taken the extra flap pockets and throat tab into account if you didn't mention it.

Would you say the price/quality difference is proportionate between RRL & PL (in general, based on your own experience)?
Speaking on leather quality - The PL Leather is pebbled if you zoom into the picture. That would indicate that the leather is "full grain" without any sanding/finishing work done to the leather to provide some sort of consistency. This is a leather that is the full hide of the animal, and more natural in appearance. This will also be a thicker leather and noticeable for those who are afficionados of leather. There is also a hand and feel to the leather that will be above the RRL leather. it will drape more naturally on the body - whereas the RRL jacket looks like it may have a stiffer body to it. The color of the leather is more consistent and not "distressed" looking like the leather in the RRL jacket. This would also indicate a fully vegetable tanned leather that is treated with natural dyes. The colors will hold longer onto the leather, even if abused from daily life. But proper care should always be given to leather of this quality to maximize usage. Leathers of that quality are typically sourced from a country, such as Europe, where cattle are not treated as assembly line animals. They are given more freedom to roam and live a fuller life.

When a sanding of leather is performed (RRL jacket), it usually is to remove branding scars, wounds, or other issues. This is considered "top grain" since some of the top layer leather was removed from sanding it down. It's still good quality leather - but some additional work was done to make it look better. Leathers of this nature are typically going to be sourced from South America or China since most meat is raised and churned out in these huge farms with massive gates. The leather is more distressed in appearance with some color fading/inconsistency. Even though that's what the marketing is designed for - it may also indicate that it's not a fully aniline dyed leather. Some paint/burnishing effect may have been done in addition to a partial dyeing of the leather. This is typically a cheaper process, and the leather will not retain the color as long as the aforementioned leather if you treat it poorly. What you'll end up getting over time without proper treatment, is a dull leather jacket that loses the patina.

All leather sourced as a material is a byproduct from the meat industry. Nothing goes to waste. However, where you source the leather byproduct is going to determine cost and quality as the animal is treated differently, and the leather is also finished differently from the tanneries. There is also a limited supply of the more higher-grade leathers with a consistent hand and look.

kurdo

Reaction score
Speaking on leather quality - The PL Leather is pebbled if you zoom into the picture. That would indicate that the leather is "full grain" without any sanding/finishing work done to the leather to provide some sort of consistency. This is a leather that is the full hide of the animal, and more natural in appearance. This will also be a thicker leather and noticeable for those who are afficionados of leather. There is also a hand and feel to the leather that will be above the RRL leather. it will drape more naturally on the body - whereas the RRL jacket looks like it may have a stiffer body to it. The color of the leather is more consistent and not "distressed" looking like the leather in the RRL jacket. This would also indicate a fully vegetable tanned leather that is treated with natural dyes. The colors will hold longer onto the leather, even if abused from daily life. But proper care should always be given to leather of this quality to maximize usage. Leathers of that quality are typically sourced from a country, such as Europe, where cattle are not treated as assembly line animals. They are given more freedom to roam and live a fuller life.

When a sanding of leather is performed (RRL jacket), it usually is to remove branding scars, wounds, or other issues. This is considered "top grain" since some of the top layer leather was removed from sanding it down. It's still good quality leather - but some additional work was done to make it look better. Leathers of this nature are typically going to be sourced from South America or China since most meat is raised and churned out in these huge farms with massive gates. The leather is more distressed in appearance with some color fading/inconsistency. Even though that's what the marketing is designed for - it may also indicate that it's not a fully aniline dyed leather. Some paint/burnishing effect may have been done in addition to a partial dyeing of the leather. This is typically a cheaper process, and the leather will not retain the color as long as the aforementioned leather if you treat it poorly. What you'll end up getting over time without proper treatment, is a dull leather jacket that loses the patina.

All leather sourced as a material is a byproduct from the meat industry. Nothing goes to waste. However, where you source the leather byproduct is going to determine cost and quality as the animal is treated differently, and the leather is also finished differently from the tanneries. There is also a limited supply of the more higher-grade leathers with a consistent hand and look.
This was incredibly helpful, thank you for taking the time to explain :).

I may actually go for the PL jacket now that I know these differences. I like both jackets equally, so I may as well go for the best quality jacket that will last a longer time (and maybe even be still worth something if I decide to part with it down the road).

kurdo

Reaction score
Question:

Is "Ralph Lauren Country" the predecessor of RRL? I am an eyeing a shirt that is being advertised as "vintage from the 90s" and the label says "Ralph Lauren Country", which I haven't seen before. The shirt is in good condition and priced at $120.

It all looks and sounds good to me, but curious about what the experts here think, especially because of the "Country" label which I am unfamiliar with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads