• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ended up getting the hand knit sweater today. I am not 100% sold on it, as a big guy and I tend to lean more tame in terms of color and pattern, so this is a stretch for me. I just put it on with what I was wearing, but would definitely look better with a chambray shirt and jeans or gray flannel pants. Thoughts?
E86FAFE7-C6A6-41BD-A630-3F28340EBEFB.jpeg

-DL

bensm1th

Reaction score
I ended up getting the hand knit sweater today. I am not 100% sold on it, as a big guy and I tend to lean more tame in terms of color and pattern, so this is a stretch for me. I just put it on with what I was wearing, but would definitely look better with a chambray shirt and jeans or gray flannel pants. Thoughts?
View attachment 1419571
-DL
for me, it's too distracting, too loud. I wouldn't keep it, to be honest. I'll post the one I got last winter.

bensm1th

Reaction score
There's a lot of talk about the zig zag shawl collar cardigan on sale right now. I know someone posted the official image of the ranch cardigan from last fall, but I wanted to show people what I think an RRL cardigan should like. Not that I'm an expert, but I've tried on every RRL cardigan for the last year.
IMG_6705.JPG

Also, my bandana shirt arrived today:
IMG_6706.JPG

Lastly, I was inspired by RRL hand tooled leather items to make this belt for myself. I bought the tools and just kind of free handed on a piece of leather and then dyed it.
IMG_6707.JPG

IMG_6708.JPG

IMG_6709.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6709.JPG
    IMG_6709.JPG
    388.4 KB · Views: 29

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1419571
-DL
I like the idea of the chambray shirt and jeans, not sure about flannel.

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t really see how it’s that “loud” ?‍♂️ it’s a pretty simple southwestern pattern without particularly crazy colors.
Agreed. It’s a patterned cardigan with multiple colors. The two above seem the same level of loud to me. Which isn’t that loud.
Love em both and wish I lived in an area where I could wear them with any kind of regularity.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1419571
-DL
If you like it wear it.

ryebreadiest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1419571
-DL
As a fellow big guy, I feel you. I think the pattern on this one ends up leading your eye to the middle of the stomach and that’s not what I like. The one bensmith has seems like it would be better.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a fellow big guy, I feel you. I think the pattern on this one ends up leading your eye to the middle of the stomach and that’s not what I like. The one bensmith has seems like it would be better.

I hear you. I was hoping the pattern would do the opposite. I am still on the fence, it is a nice piece, that actually fits pretty well. I appreciate all of the opinions, here is a shot from the front:
438E790C-2641-4C62-AFEE-A1FC1A05C7B6.jpeg

-DL

bensm1th

Reaction score
I hear you. I was hoping the pattern would do the opposite. I am still on the fence, it is a nice piece, that actually fits pretty well. I appreciate all of the opinions, here is a shot from the front: View attachment 1419751
-DL
If you like it, keep it. I am just saying that with mine, I thought about it for six months and tried it on like 5 times before I pulled the trigger. When I got it, I wasn't on the edge. For me, I paid like $800, I believe, and I would never keep anything that I was on the edge about at that price. So, when I say "too loud", I am just saying that it isn't worth the $500-600. For me, I would be wearing it and wishing it were a different one.

ryebreadiest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear you. I was hoping the pattern would do the opposite. I am still on the fence, it is a nice piece, that actually fits pretty well. I appreciate all of the opinions, here is a shot from the front: View attachment 1419751
-DL
It’s maybe a bit better from straight on but I’m just not sure I’m wearing a top with what amounts to a giant X across my stomach. It’s up to you but that’s a pricy investment and it should be for a piece that gets you excited to wear.

vintage38

Reaction score
-DL
When I'm the fence about a RRL piece, I'll keep it for 3 to 4 weeks. Trying it on a couple times a week might sway you one way or the other, it usually works for me. Just make sure if you decide to return its before the 30 day return policy. I'm not a big sweater person, but think it's a good looking piece.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
-DL
I don’t think wearing it with just that single center button fastened is doing you any favors as it accentuates the big X even more. In general I like the loud SW style sweaters, just not that one. Plus the belt is a deal killer for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads