• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have quite a few suspenders that are not rrl and one pair that is. The quality of the rrl suspenders are good as are all my non rrl suspenders. The main difference is the vintage look of my rrl suspenders and of course the astronomical price I paid for them. Having said that I'm glad I bought the rrl suspenders because I like the vintage look of them but I doubt I'll buy another pair unless I find them at a bargain price. Also when I wear suspenders they are usually covered by a jacket or vest so no one sees them anyway. So to me the one pair of rrl suspenders i bought were worth the price but in reality the retail price or even eBay price they fetch are not worth it if you look at it from a solely utilitarian angle.

Konnor

Reaction score
Yeah, I do enjoy the vintage look. I feel like there aren't many other brands out there that take a similar approach. I was searching through ebay and saw some that were a bit cheaper. I used to be a bit more shocked by the price. The way I'm trying to look at it is that they are only slightly more expensive than a Trafalgar limited edition brace, and I find the RRL ones much more aesthetically pleasing. Thank you for the insight!

noretailplease

Reaction score
I got a large. If you call some rrl stores, they may still have a small in stock you cash exchange it for. I got mine at the Hampton location, and they overnighted it for free. The sales tax hurt tho.
Picked up the left over size XS on sale. I normally wear S and occasionally M. XS fits way too snug for my taste as I can only wear a T shirt inside it. My lost. :(

Furq

Reaction score
Not a criticism just a personal observation.. how do you guys “pull off” the RRL look?

Some of their stuff looks gorgeous but I think would look ridiculous on me. The brand evokes an image of an older cowboy type rugged guy. For myself as a guy in his early 30s, tall and thin European style looks have been more suitable for me.

Any advice on getting into the brand or is it just not meant for me?

bwfilms

Reaction score
Not a criticism just a personal observation.. how do you guys “pull off” the RRL look?

Some of their stuff looks gorgeous but I think would look ridiculous on me. The brand evokes an image of an older cowboy type rugged guy. For myself as a guy in his early 30s, tall and thin European style looks have been more suitable for me.

I think there are more than one "RRL look". It seems to me the Old West look is probably the most popular and iconic. Like you, I can't picture myself being able to pull off the look - despite some absolutely beautiful pieces. Luckily for me, I actually prefer the looks of the 1920's to 1950's in America (mostly "varsity", workwear, military - though I prefer more day-to-day pieces like varsity jackets, sweaters and officer chinos as opposed to the baseball jerseys and flight suits). These looks decidedly differ from the current fashion. The jeans jackets and knit sweaters are somewhat wide shoulders and waist-length short, and some of the jeans/pants have pleats with wide leg openings. IMO, the overall silhouette is classic yet still quite modern.

Last edited:

bensm1th

Reaction score

I just embrace the western look. I go into stores (in Vegas and OC) and try things on for a few months. Most of the western looking things look goofy on me, but every once in a while a piece will look magical. It takes like six months before I settle on something, and when I want it for that long, I know that I truly love it and will wear it all the time. I wait for it to go like 40 percent off (even 60 percent off), and then I buy it.

In general, you should be able to find something that works. RLL has icon, western, army, tailored, and workwear styles. The western is the most unique and probably works with the fewest styles, but it works with mine. I think the other styles should work with most wardrobes.

My casual style is boots (Wolverine 1000 mile and Allen Edmonds chukkas), Alden penny loafers, APC and RRL jeans, RRL Flannels and Western shirts, some RRL workwear shirts, and now RRL cardigans. It all fits well and I feel that I've greatly elevated my game from mallcore clothing that I wore a year ago. I think the RRL look may be goofy at first, but it somehow "clicks" if you do it right, and you will really stand out.

Last edited:

Fenderplyr

Reaction score
Looking at a few listings from an ebay seller in Philly and one reallly raised some flags which makes the rest of their product seem even more suspicious to me. some look really legit (belts leather products etc.) but after seeing this posting I'd stay away

WOOF
Capture2.JPG Capture.JPG

cj610

Reaction score

I can't pull off the whole look myself. I like particular RRL pieces and work them into my wardrobe along with other basic things by different designers/manufacturers. Mostly RRL outerwear, jeans, and shirts. I try to go mostly for simple stuff that mixes easily.

mykii2704

Reaction score
I can't pull off the whole look myself. I like particular RRL pieces and work them into my wardrobe along with other basic things by different designers/manufacturers.

This is it! I go to RRL for knits/cardigans/sweaters etc. They're the best in the game for me, when you consider price:quality:uniqueness. There isn't too much in the same color palette or style for the most part.

Speaking of which, very disappointed with the RRL sale structure this year. Almost nothing for the November sales, and then a random drop in December which I missed entirely. Luckily, I went in store and managed to get all the pieces I wanted via a sales associate whom tracked items down for me all-over the country. Thank you RRL/Ralph Lauren NY boutique, not only is your store the best I've ever been to in the world, it is full of wonderful service too.

McSp

Reaction score
This is it! I go to RRL for knits/cardigans/sweaters etc. They're the best in the game for me, when you consider price:quality:uniqueness. There isn't too much in the same color palette or style for the most part.

Speaking of which, very disappointed with the RRL sale structure this year. Almost nothing for the November sales, and then a random drop in December which I missed entirely. Luckily, I went in store and managed to get all the pieces I wanted via a sales associate whom tracked items down for me all-over the country. Thank you RRL/Ralph Lauren NY boutique, not only is your store the best I've ever been to in the world, it is full of wonderful service too.
You mean W Broadway...?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads