• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Double RL RRL Selvedge Chino NWT $340 tagged size 36 for $129.99 shipped
bounce2.gif

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I saw those 36 selvedge chinos yesterday. But 11 1/4 upper thigh? I've given up on RRL selvedge chinos. I prefer a pair of their standard models.

I've really taken to these:

1gt94h.jpg

2zybps8.jpg

almbs6.jpg

Wouldn't buy them (much too short and have obviously had work done on the waist), but love them for the pattern, color, material, and the fact that I've never seen this by RRL before.

Rangoe

Reaction score
Well, I was able to find some great RRLs after all; acquired several pairs in the last week, some cheaper than others. I have two questions, though:

1. The color for one pair was only available in a straight leg, which is a fit I'm not crazy about (I prefer slim boot or plain slim). Would it not be advisable for me to try to have a tailor taper them at the leg just a bit for a better fit?

2. I'm wondering if someone can break down the full care for RRL selvedge (I found a thread detailing selvedge care, but the link was outdated). I know that one has to wear them as long as possible without washing, and that the first wash should be a dry clean preferably....but then what? I've heard about wearing them in the tub in cold water?

I ask because I have another pair of selvedge, a dark inky indigo. I wore them for months on end, and when they finally started to stink a bit, I washed them alone (to avoid staining other clothes) in a gentle cycle, then air dried them. No clothes dryer, of course. However, in certain parts, the whiteness is really coming out now big time (e.g., near crotch) and this is merely after the first wash! I worry that my RRLs would similarly fade so quickly. Am I supposed to be doing something else?

Thanks & cheers....

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
Yeah I saw those 36 selvedge chinos yesterday. But 11 1/4 upper thigh? I've given up on RRL selvedge chinos. I prefer a pair of their standard models.
Im pretty sure that his measurement was from the crotch seam to the opposite seam and not to the edge. Still a great deal. If these were a tagged 34, I would have bought them
Originally Posted by somatoform
I've really taken to these:
1gt94h.jpg
Wouldn't buy them (much too short and have obviously had work done on the waist), but love them for the pattern, color, material, and the fact that I've never seen this by RRL before.

I have never seen these before. What are they called? They look great!

ataru

Reaction score
Rangoe, I wouldn't recommend tapering jeans that already have a wash/distressing. It'll throw off the artificial honeycombs, probably mess up the look of the fading by the seams.

Besides, even if you taper them a pair of straights will still have that huge rise.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rangoe
2. I'm wondering if someone can break down the full care for RRL selvedge (I found a thread detailing selvedge care, but the link was outdated). I know that one has to wear them as long as possible without washing, and that the first wash should be a dry clean preferably....but then what? I've heard about wearing them in the tub in cold water? Thanks & cheers....
I will never ever again wash any jeans in a washer. Period. I did this once with a pair of Levis and I got the most disgusting and uneven distressing imaginable. I now clean my jeans by throwing them into a large bin of warm water with Woolite and just spin them around with my hand for about 2 minutes. Then i hang dry them. I soak/wash my jeans about every 2-3 months depending on wear. And I dont wash soak/wash my jeans when I first purchase them. Again, I wear them about 2-3 months and then wash them the way I described above. The older the jeans, the less you have to worry about them imo. A couple of weeks ago I wore my RRL slim cut Rigids to a house party and ended up hot tubing in them for 2 hours. Just have fun with them, you bought a great product, its hard to eff up at this point

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
How do you find the difference in the thigh among the slim boot, slim, and low straight? I find that the slim boot thigh is just too tight for me. Is slim actually looser in the thigh, as I have heard?

Yes, the slim fit are snug in the thigh, but not too bad for me (I am 6', 160, athletic, but don't have big thighs). There is more room in the thigh for the slim boot cut.

Originally Posted by NAMOR
I will never ever again wash any jeans in a washer. Period. I did this once with a pair of Levis and I got the most disgusting and uneven distressing imaginable. I now clean my jeans by throwing them into a large bin of warm water with Woolite and just spin them around with my hand for about 2 minutes. Then i hang dry them.

I soak/wash my jeans about every 2-3 months depending on wear. And I dont wash soak/wash my jeans when I first purchase them. Again, I wear them about 2-3 months and then wash them the way I described above.

The older the jeans, the less you have to worry about them imo. A couple of weeks ago I wore my RRL slim cut Rigids to a house party and ended up hot tubing in them for 2 hours. Just have fun with them, you bought a great product, its hard to eff up at this point

Warm? Care for the RRL selvadge (once washed) says "cold". Is there really no difference b/w cold and warm when it comes to washing jeans?

Rangoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
I will never ever again wash any jeans in a washer. Period. I did this once with a pair of Levis and I got the most disgusting and uneven distressing imaginable. I now clean my jeans by throwing them into a large bin of warm water with Woolite and just spin them around with my hand for about 2 minutes. Then i hang dry them. I soak/wash my jeans about every 2-3 months depending on wear. And I dont wash soak/wash my jeans when I first purchase them. Again, I wear them about 2-3 months and then wash them the way I described above. The older the jeans, the less you have to worry about them imo. A couple of weeks ago I wore my RRL slim cut Rigids to a house party and ended up hot tubing in them for 2 hours. Just have fun with them, you bought a great product, its hard to eff up at this point
Hi Namor, Thanks for the feedback, that makes sense. I made the mistake of washing my other selvedge jeans in the washer; won't happen with the RRLs. A few follow-ups, just to nail it perfectly: - Same question as Gumercindo, isn't cold water technically best for them? (e.g., les likelihood of shrinking, etc). - From the description, I take it you don't really rinse out the soap, just air dry them directly? Does this mean you use very little of the soap? - I know you mentioned Woolite - does choosing a higher end, gentler, plant-based detergent make any difference in such things, or is it the same if I use Tide vs anything else? - To be gentle, is it best to skip the recommended "first wash dry cleaning" altogether? I wouldn't mind dry cleaning them every time if that helped preserve them, but I'm assuming it can be as equally harsh than the standard machine wash?

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Namor,

Thanks for the feedback, that makes sense. I made the mistake of washing my other selvedge jeans in the washer; won't happen with the RRLs. A few follow-ups, just to nail it perfectly:

- Same question as Gumercindo, isn't cold water technically best for them? (e.g., les likelihood of shrinking, etc).
- From the description, I take it you don't really rinse out the soap, just air dry them directly? Does this mean you use very little of the soap?
- I know you mentioned Woolite - does choosing a higher end, gentler, plant-based detergent make any difference in such things, or is it the same if I use Tide vs anything else?
- To be gentle, is it best to skip the recommended "first wash dry cleaning" altogether? I wouldn't mind dry cleaning them every time if that helped preserve them, but I'm assuming it can be as equally harsh than the standard machine wash?

from what i know is that Woolite Dark is one of the best you can use for washing your raw selvage jeans. but so far i have been taking my raw jeans to dry cleaners only.

Rangoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ataru
Rangoe, I wouldn't recommend tapering jeans that already have a wash/distressing. It'll throw off the artificial honeycombs, probably mess up the look of the fading by the seams.

Besides, even if you taper them a pair of straights will still have that huge rise.

Thanks...yeah, I figured it might not be a good idea to mess with the fit.

The main thing I have to get used to, as you point out, is the huge rise. It's probably just because I'm so used to wearing mid to low rise jeans; the higher rise of the RRL straights makes me feel like a high-pants old man, slightly dorky. Can't argue with the awesome color & construction, though.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like a higher rise - I can't tuck a shirt into medium or lower rises, it just makes your torso look ridiculously long. I've lucked into some low straight jeans, which are great, but I can't help but wish they were the straights.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
- Same question as Gumercindo, isn't cold water technically best for them? (e.g., les likelihood of shrinking, etc).
Yeah I agree with Gumercindo, cold is best. I made the mistake of washing them in warm water but didnt notice any excessive shrinkage or loss of dye. I have since been washing them in warm water. Not hot. Plus, I think warm water is better than cold water for breaking/loosening up the dirt
- From the description, I take it you don't really rinse out the soap, just air dry them directly? Does this mean you use very little of the soap?
I use very little soap. Less than a teaspoon for 2 gallons of water. Ill run them under the sink in cold water for 30 seconds after my 2 minute hand wash cycle.
- I know you mentioned Woolite - does choosing a higher end, gentler, plant-based detergent make any difference in such things, or is it the same if I use Tide vs anything else?
I have only used Woolite.
- To be gentle, is it best to skip the recommended "first wash dry cleaning" altogether? I wouldn't mind dry cleaning them every time if that helped preserve them, but I'm assuming it can be as equally harsh than the standard machine wash?
I have a pair of Diors that I have dry cleaned twice a year because I want to limit the loss of dye. With my RRL I want the broken in look so I tend to baby them a little bit less, relatively speaking.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah i know what u mean about tucking into low rise pants. that being said, the seat on straights, imo, is too loose. it's a compromise. if i bought another pair of straights i would probably size down to compensate for that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads