• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

buzzlulu

Reaction score
What's wrong with it exactly? Poor construction, crappy materials etc?
Absolutely crappy leather - quite honestly an embarassment.
(PS - my 25 years in the industry was designing and manufacturing in Italy - i.e. leather)
Very very disappointed - one would be absolutely crazy to pay $1800 for a made in China/tanned in China leather when something like an Italian Belstaff leather jacket can be had for not much more. The Andrew Marc leather jackets which the department stores promo day in and day out for $300-$500 are of an equal quality to the RRL piece.

Shirts were not bad - at 65% off. I am not quite sure I would consider them as $225-300 shirts - although perhaps some of the hand dipped Indigos are worth the msrp. The red indigo striped cotton sweater is a nice piece - at the price I paid (actually the suggested retail is high - but not that bad). The nautical boat hand knit shawl cardigan is a nice quality piece - however not at $895. It also does not fit (small by a size) and it must weigh at least 5 pounds (makes my Stark look lightweight). I am quite surprised they are calling this a Spring item.

I had the chance to try on some RRL jeans in the SoHo store this weekend - after my trip to Blue in Greene. Sorry however there really is no comparison between the Japanese product which BIG carries compared to RRL - I would rather spend the same or slightly more and buy the jeans which BIG is purveying (I purchased a pair of ONI slubby jeans for $300).

All in all after 3 years of trying RRL it is not an easy brand to buy. It is overpriced (I guess we all know that and many purchase only on promo) and quality and vfm are hit and miss. After a lot of back and forth for AW13 (I kept only 3 sweaters) and now with SS14 being so hit and miss I think it might be time to take a breather. A shame as many of the pieces are quite tasty looking when viewed online.

Kensington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Absolutely crappy leather - quite honestly an embarassment.
(PS - my 25 years in the industry was designing and manufacturing in Italy - i.e. leather)
Very very disappointed - one would be absolutely crazy to pay $1800 for a made in China/tanned in China leather when something like an Italian Belstaff leather jacket can be had for not much more.  The Andrew Marc leather jackets which the department stores promo day in and day out for $300-$500 are of an equal quality to the RRL piece.

Shirts were not bad - at 65% off.  I am not quite sure I would consider them as $225-300 shirts - although perhaps some of the hand dipped Indigos are worth the msrp.  The red indigo striped cotton sweater is a nice piece - at the price I paid (actually the suggested retail is high - but not that bad).  The nautical boat hand knit shawl cardigan is a nice quality piece - however not at $895.  It also does not fit (small by a size) and it must weigh at least 5 pounds (makes my Stark look lightweight).  I am quite surprised they are calling this a Spring item.

I had the chance to try on some RRL jeans in the SoHo store this weekend - after my trip to Blue in Greene. Sorry however there really is no comparison between the Japanese product which BIG carries compared to RRL - I would rather spend the same or slightly more and buy the jeans which BIG is purveying (I purchased a pair of ONI slubby jeans for $300).

All in all after 3 years of trying RRL it is not an easy brand to buy.  It is overpriced (I guess we all know that and many purchase only on promo) and quality and vfm are hit and miss.  After a lot of back and forth for AW13 (I kept only 3 sweaters) and now with SS14 being so hit and miss I think it might be time to take a breather.  A shame as many of the pieces are quite tasty looking when viewed online.

Some pictures would be nice. I had an all leather RRL varsity and I thought the leather was really nice, but I'm no connoisseur.

I don't buy any RRL at MSRP. I usually buy when it's 30%-65% off. At that point I find the prices reasonable.

Last edited:

buzzlulu

Reaction score
PS

I have a Ralph Lauren boutique near my house (First line + Black label (and Purple when it existed) ) and last year I purchased a beige leather jacket similar feeling to the Mendoza (cut). It was on sale from a $1600 list (Mendoza=$1800). Now this is a BEAUTIFUL jacket - butter soft full grain leather which simply oozed class and looked like a million dollars. There is simply no comparison what so ever between the Mendoza and this jacket - not even night and day - rather day and year!

Last edited:

cpmac7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know its about to be summer, but I cant resist posting this. I figured at $20, you fine gents would want to know about this :bigstar:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RRL-Double-...11?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&hash=item51bad9faf7

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
guys...question. i got the rigid slims in size 34. they are a bit big in the waist. is this a huge no-no and should i return? its strange, b/c im usually a 34-36 waist and cannot remember the last time i was a 32...if ever.

will they be OK to keep w/ a belt? they aren't enormous but probably an inch too big.

Kensington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PS I have a Ralph Lauren boutique near my house (First line + Black label (and Purple when it existed) ) and last year I purchased a beige leather jacket similar feeling to the Mendoza (cut). It was on sale from a $1600 list (Mendoza=$1800). Now this is a BEAUTIFUL jacket - butter soft full grain leather which simply oozed class and looked like a million dollars. There is simply no comparison what so ever between the Mendoza and this jacket - not even night and day - rather day and year!
Nice piece but I don't think it's really a fair comparison. Are you sure the Mendoza jacket wasn't meant to have a really burnished/aged looking leather like many other RRL products? You don't really describe what itself was bad about the leather. I'm genuinely curious because I thought that jacket was one of the coolest pieces this season.

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anybody providing sizing advice for the Murdock & Bowery boots?
Are they TTS? Half size down?

Thx in advance.

captainshields

Reaction score
PS

I have a Ralph Lauren boutique near my house (First line + Black label (and Purple when it existed) ) and last year I purchased a beige leather jacket similar feeling to the Mendoza (cut). It was on sale from a $1600 list (Mendoza=$1800). Now this is a BEAUTIFUL jacket - butter soft full grain leather which simply oozed class and looked like a million dollars. There is simply no comparison what so ever between the Mendoza and this jacket - not even night and day - rather day and year!

25 years in the clothing industry or not, I think "quality" can be relative. I know someone who bought the mendoza and loves it (they are also a veteran in the clothing industry).
I hate "buttery soft" leather and I much prefer a rougher feel to a leather jacket. I have not seen the mendoza, but I believe it is going for a more "rough and tough" feel then an "oozing class" feel. I don't really see how this jacket you posted and the mendoza can even be compared...they are different, and personally I would never even think about wearing this one.

As far as pricing, a hand-distressed jacket from a higher tier brand (rrl) is going to cost more than a straight leather jacket from Polo...that's just basic branding.
If I had known about the 65% off sale I would have probably tried the mendoza. Every RRL leather jacket I've seen or owned I've loved.

my 2c

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't handled current season stuff but outside of gambler nothing recently has been anything close to $1600-1800 retail. Even when they were on clearance at $500-700 I wouldn't really consider one it's just not that nice compared to other options

And womens are even worse, this one was sub $300 and paper thin and probably not much better than a leather at Zara:

buzzlulu

Reaction score
Haven't handled current season stuff but outside of gambler nothing recently has been anything close to $1600-1800 retail. Even when they were on clearance at $500-700 I wouldn't really consider one it's just not that nice compared to other options

And womens are even worse, this one was sub $300 and paper thin and probably not much better than a leather at Zara:

I agree with this poster. Not familiar with the other RRL leather jackets but I can say that I am not mpressed with the quality of the Mendoza.

It is one thing to have an aged distressed look. It is another to use a sprayed corrected piece of "leather" and then beat it up.
My Italian Belstaff, which does not cost much more than the Mendoza, is made of a beautiful full grain vachetta leather which has been antiqued and burnished to provide a worn vintage look. It looks and feels like the real thing.

As I said - a real disappointment as it looked so beautiful in the pictures.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All in all after 3 years of trying RRL it is not an easy brand to buy. It is overpriced (I guess we all know that and many purchase only on promo) and quality and vfm are hit and miss. After a lot of back and forth for AW13 (I kept only 3 sweaters) and now with SS14 being so hit and miss I think it might be time to take a breather. A shame as many of the pieces are quite tasty looking when viewed online.

Pretty much exactly my thoughts and my experience. And when you factor in the labor, as you noted in another part of your post, literally zero reason for the pricing. AW sweaters were indeed a back and forth and I didn't keep a single one. Fits were either all over the place or the quality was just poor. I honestly was rather shocked as it was my first RRL experience. You're right too, pieces look great online.

That said I do love my Dixon jacket from AW. Looks great on and I'm pleased with the quality considering the sale price.

Adroit

Reaction score
Absolutely crappy leather . . . . made in China/tanned in China leather

I am not certain about the Mendoza, but many/most of RRL's current leather jackets are made from Italian veg tanned leather. The jackets are put together in China, but the leather is not made in China.

Quote:

Notwithstanding your experience in the industry, nothing could be further from the truth. RRL's leather and construction are far superior to Andrew Marc.

RRL generally uses heavier, stiffer and/or more rugged leather, consistent with the vintage pieces they drawing inspiration from and/or replicating. if you do not fancy this type of leather, RRL is not a good fit for you.

Last edited:

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

guys...question. i got the rigid slims in size 34. they are a bit big in the waist. is this a huge no-no and should i return? its strange, b/c im usually a 34-36 waist and cannot remember the last time i was a 32...if ever.

will they be OK to keep w/ a belt? they aren't enormous but probably an inch too big.

BUELLER?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads