• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
60-65% off is below wholesale and definitely hurting RL, employees buy merchandise that customers are willing to buy for more money. Giving employee discount willy nilly is counterproductive when you have thousands of employees who could abuse it.

If you had a business selling whatever and your employee undermined you by reselling your product for less to potential customers wouldn't you fire them immediately? There is definitely a sense of loyalty/principle involved here. You sell clothing for your boss not for yourself. At least if you resell RL, quit your affiliation with them. Most clothing stores monitor how employee discounts are used and have to be rung up by manager often times, not just RL.

Last edited:

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It makes sense. I've never really thought about it before, probably cos I've never worked retail, so when you said it I was just kind of taken back by how much of a dick move it is (firing people for buying your clothes).
But thinking about it more, yeah, it makes sense. But I still have a hard time believing a 60% discount would be below wholesale for a company like RL producing in that volume with their manufacturing process. And the sheer size of the company makes it seem worse. If it was a small business then I'd understand completely right off the bat. But for whatever reason, the fact that the people doing the firing are just retail managers and don't really have any true attachment or stake in the company makes it seem worse than it is.

I mean, yeah. I understand it, I hadn't thought about it before, it makes sense on a lot of levels but it still seems like a dick move to me.

Kensington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's really an issue if an employee buys one or two pieces to hook up a friend from the forum. I appreciate the gesture that they're willing to share their employee discount. Shows how much of a little community this thread has created. I don't think the people here are spending their whole paychecks on RL and trying to flip it on here.

Last edited:

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't think it's really an issue if an employee buys one or two pieces to hook up a friend from the forum. I appreciate the gesture that they're willing to share their employee discount. Shows how much of a little community this thread has created. I don't think the people here are spending their whole paychecks on RL and trying to flip it on here.

Yeah see when I first read the post that's what I was thinking; an employee just grabbing a jacket and some denim on a discount for their friend. With RRL that's easily $600+ which wouldn't balance with their paycheck, so they'd get fired. I realize now we're taking more in terms of people buying up everything and basically running a business off somebody else's back. That's a true dirtbag move and obviously something that RRL in particular has to pay a lot of attention to since their seems to be such a large aftermarket for their stuff.

Kensington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Doesn't look that bad. The boatneck doesn't seem that noticeable under a shirt.

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was a young bro I got fired from Target for abusing discount and that was only 15%, all I did was buy a few carts of groceries and an Xbox...

Anyway 60% is a huge discount, I would wager RL breaks even during 60-70% off sales because they have a lot of expenses and handle a lot of returns, they lose money on anything they send to outlets (80-85% off) especially when you stack coupons but that stuff only makes up a very small percentage of their overall sold merchandise and what ends up as PSR is unavoidable which is why they want to sellout at cost before having to send to outlets, and give friends&family discounts during clearance sales, controlling employee discounts is key during the time of year where there are no sales going on, especially for a smaller label like RRL that has only a handful of stores and every customer matters as well as protecting the label's prestige.

They are always looking for shortcuts and decrease quality to offset these losses and increase profits without watering down the label as much as possible, which is why less and less stuff is selvedge and more is not made in the USA. Most people don't seem to notice, or just don't care.

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah see when I first read the post that's what I was thinking; an employee just grabbing a jacket and some denim on a discount for their friend. With RRL that's easily $600+ which wouldn't balance with their paycheck, so they'd get fired. I realize now we're taking more in terms of people buying up everything and basically running a business off somebody else's back. That's a true dirtbag move and obviously something that RRL in particular has to pay a lot of attention to since their seems to be such a large aftermarket for their stuff.
Exactly, someone who buys more than they get paid is either a reseller, or sitting pretty living with mommy and daddy. The managers will find someone who is in more need of a job in these tough times...No shortage of applicants for RRL/RL store. Even at outlets I see new faces every week. These people go through employees like kleenex.

Last edited:

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Exactly, someone who buys more than they get paid is either a reseller, or sitting pretty living with mommy and daddy. The managers will find someone who is in more need of a job in these tough times...No shortage of applicants for RRL/RL store. Even at outlets I see new faces every week. These people go through employees like kleenex.

So they would fire somebody who obviously grabbed a few things for somebody else once or twice a year? If I'm working at RRL you can bet I'm buying more than I normally would due to the employee discount, and more than that when a friends birthday rolls around I'm probably looking in store for a present first and foremost. I'm not talking about every single paycheck being blown in store but around Christmas I'm sure I'd spend a decent chunk on stuff for myself and friends/family.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And pleas don't take this as any kind of argument I'm just interested in it since I've never thought about it before and you obviously have a lot of experience/knowledge with it. In fact I won't bring it up again cos I don't want to derail this thread any further.

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really depends on how much manager likes you. I'm sure they'll turn their back as long as possible if you are a rock star employee. Sometimes the audit or LP guys will notice how much you spend and find it questionable and just fire you on the spot.

If you buy 5 things a season it probably won't look suspicious especially if you wear all of it, or make a note to buy your "buddy a jacket for his birthday next month" but really who gives their friends $200 jeans or $600 jackets for a present? You will definitely get questioned about it.

If you are reselling it will be pretty obvious. If you buy multiple $1800 leather jackets for $600 you're saving a shitload of cash they would rather see you using discount to buy some cheap items nobody wants like chinos or workshirts not high ticket items like coats, bags or jackets in size XS that asian tourists would be happy to buy at retail.

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone is looking for full priced goods off the RL site for 35-40% off, send me a PM. This is a limited time offer.
I'm not making anything out of this, trying to help out those who have assisted me in the past, or have done business with before.

Avocado, I plan on going back in the next few weeks and will let you know if I see it!

How do you make nothing out of this?

blufox

Reaction score
Lots of cool new stuff up on the RRL Site. Love this sweater, too damn expensive though.

And they have a spend money save money deal on now too, however RRL is not included. :(

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lots of cool new stuff up on the RRL Site. Love this sweater, too damn expensive though.

And they have a spend money save money deal on now too, however RRL is not included. :(

This reminds me so much of a sweater my nana made me when I was a baby. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
My son was wearing it when he was a baby. I need to find a pic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads