Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

I should add, while Spring uses Intelligentsia espresso for caps/lattes, they have an awesome selection of artesian coffees to be drank solo.

Which Luxxe did you go to? I personally like the SM one better, better walking street and I think the staff is a bit better. And if you're not too carb conscious try an almond croissant.

i had intelligentsia with my girl a few weeks ago, came highly recommended from her friend, who is a coffee snob, i was completely underwhelmed, as it was touted as the best cup of coffee in LA. man, if that's the best cup of coffee.....it tasted like a crappy cup of wawa coffee..

2. Captain Winky

Captain Winky Senior member

i had intelligentsia with my girl a few weeks ago, came highly recommended from her friend, who is a coffee snob, i was completely underwhelmed, as it was touted as the best cup of coffee in LA. man, if that's the best cup of coffee.....it tasted like a crappy cup of wawa coffee..

Don't mistake the quality of the beans for the quality of the person making your coffee. As a coffee house owner once told me, the most important thing is the last person to touch your cup of coffee. I've never though particularly highly of Intelligentsia the coffee house (haven't tried the Venice one), but their beans are very good, and when your drink is made by a pro, I think the quality is quite good.

3. hiphawpdrunkie

hiphawpdrunkie Well-Known Member

I'm fat... here are my food recommendations:

Coffee: King's Road
    Burger: Comme Ca
    Lebanese: Hayat's Kitchen (NoHo)
    Korean: Honey Pig
    Peruvian: Mario's
    Cuban: La Bamba (Burbank) / El Cochinito (Silverlake)
    Sandwiches: Dave's Chillin' & Grillin' (Eagle Rock), Sweetsalt (Toluca Lake), Larchmont Wine & Cheese, La Brea Bakery
    Vegetarian: Fatty's (Eagle Rock)
    Mexican: Yuca's Hut, El Taurino
    Sushi: Sushi Gen, Hama
    Ramen: Daikoukua
    Dumplings: Din Tai Fung (Arcadia)
    Vietnamese Seafood: Newport Seafood (San Gabriel)
    Fancy Fare: Dining Room at the Langham (Pasadena), XIV, Gordon Ramsay at the London

Stay Away From... The Bazzar by Jose Andres

4. Captain Winky

Captain Winky Senior member

Anyone have a favorite tailor in downtown?

5. Morgan

Morgan Senior member

It's not downtown, but I go to Wilshire Tailor at 6329 Wilshire.

And though this isn't shopping or dining, I just got my hair cut this morning at Baxter Finley at 515 N. La Cienega. It actually occupies half of the space that Craft still occupies - they put a wall up through Craft and made a barbershop. Apparently they opened today and I was the first customer, but I got a hell of a haircut, including a straight razor cleanup around my neck and sideburns, a hot towel around my face, and a rinse for $40 before tip.

6. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

anybody have suggestions for the best vintage/thrift stores? mainly for women's stuff

7. .Impulsv

.Impulsv Senior member

Does anyone know somewhere I could get fitted for or try on some Alden shoes? Specifically, the Indy boots?

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

anybody have suggestions for the best vintage/thrift stores? mainly for women's stuff

Decades.

9. mttlee0

mttlee0 Senior member

Try Wasteland on Melrose, great for men and women. Bonus points for always having hot girls shopping there.

10. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

Does anyone know somewhere I could get fitted for or try on some Alden shoes? Specifically, the Indy boots?
    The Leather Soul in Beverly Hills should be open soon

11. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

Anyone go to do-over at cranes?
    went to the season kickoff yesterday and it was madness

12. delirium

delirium Senior member

craft has alden shoes. the owner is quite nice.
    Try Wasteland on Melrose, great for men and women. Bonus points for always having hot girls shopping there.
    never actually been inside that store, but it looks terrible. gives off such a trashy vibe [​IMG]
    Decades.
    been meaning to check out that store. i've been wondering where you make all your lux vintage finds. willing to give away any secrets?

13. mttlee0

mttlee0 Senior member

Wasteland isn't the most organized store and has a laidback feel that fits Melrose. But they have Margiela, Dries, Rag & Bone, BoO and other SF-approved brands mixed in.

14. theom-

theom- Senior member

Okay, I need some recs for a good barber. Something like Legacy Barber Shoppe (recommended by Kelvin), but in Los Angeles. I dislike salons (catered too much towards women) and actual traditional barbers (don't know jack shit). Something of a mix between traditional sense but modern style.

15. JTK

JTK Senior member

Okay, I need some recs for a good barber. Something like Legacy Barber Shoppe (recommended by Kelvin), but in Los Angeles. I dislike salons (catered too much towards women) and actual traditional barbers (don't know jack shit). Something of a mix between traditional sense but modern style.

Try Luis at Hairoin Salon in Hollywood (on Cahuenga b/t Selma and Sunset). $60, but I think he does a great job!