1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. stevent

stevent Senior member

Anybody have a good BMW mechanic? Just got a 1994 8 series (my dreamcar pretty much) and would like to get it checked out once I pick the car up tomorrow probably. Ideally he/she works on weekends as well since I'll be super busy during the week. Training is in LMU area but willing to go whereever if the mechanic is good

2. stevent

stevent Senior member

From a while ago:

So I'm going to be working in San Fernando valley but will still need to go to LMU area once to twice a week. The mid-wilshire area does seem like a good option, was able to go to Barneys, RRL and South Willard within a few minutes of each other. Weekday drive would be a bit, but I guess I would be going against traffic to some extent right?

3. 510kut

510kut Senior member

I've been working in the San Fernando Valley the last couple of months. Staying in the Westside area and commuting there wasn't too bad. Was kind of reverse commute. Although Park La Brea is a bit aways.

4. jet

jet Senior member

Basically had omakase at mori on saturday night, shit was phenomenal. We rolled up 10 minutes before closing and they served us until half hour past great service from Take-san, told him just serve us whatever you want and ate 20 different pieces of fish along with other accompaniments.

One of top two sushi experiences I've had.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  5. mr.invincible

mr.invincible Senior member

how much was the Omakase? Some yelp reviews said it was some mediocre sushi.

anyways. i totally forgot about the whole foie gras bann and this is the last week to have it. It may be impossible to try to get some. The only place I wanted to get it from was Animal as like i like the style/the ambiance/the feel of the restaurant as oppose to the cliche fancy places like Craft or w/e.

where else to get it now????? trying to impress here!

6. UserName84

UserName84 Senior member

Maybe, http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickafor...as_legally_in_california_after_july_1_ban.php

7. stevent

stevent Senior member

A few places in SF said they would just give it for "free"

8. jet

jet Senior member

yelp lol

it wasn't full on omakase but he served us whatever he wanted and it was fucking great, expensive though around 150/ea.

9. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Whats a great wine shop around LA.

I've heard of Hi Times and frequent Woodland Hills Wine Company.

I'm looking for a particular italian red called

Collelceto Rosso Di Montalcino

If you guys have seen it. holler.

10. whodini

whodini Senior member

Total Wine, K&L Wine, Wine Expo, Wine House...

11. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

So, I've been wanting to try out Seoul Sausage Co.'s stuff after I read an article about them.

http://www.seoulsausage.com/

They never list where they will be on their site or twitter. I wanted to call them but they have no phone number. I emailed them but they never got back to me. They must really hate customers.

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

those are good. so is k&L. but particularly with smaller production wines like that, you're better off going here to find a source.

13. CityHunter

CityHunter Senior member

Their empty "retail" shop has been around for a pretty long while now...don't know when it's gonna open. But FYI it's on Mississippi right off of Sawtelle in West LA.

14. stevent

stevent Senior member

Barber recs near LMU?

15. jet

jet Senior member

Son of a gun yesterday was great.

Got about 6 or 7 things, all very good.

The desert was the fucking best, def going back.

Staff was great including hostess, server and bartender who even let me sample some scotch. Wasn't expecting the level of service we got.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  16. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

17. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

My Coworker's wife recently opened a great little Vietnamese place on Sawtelle. Just named one of the best in LA by LA Weekly. Angelenos on the west side should give it a try.

http://nonglacafe.com/

From my experience, Son of a Gun seems like seafood for people who are scared of seafood. If you want everything to taste like mustard sauce and bacon you can find cheaper options.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  18. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

nong la is great (the pho is okay, pho cafe is better). Great banh mi, bun bo hue, rice, etc

19. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

yeah, i always prefer the other stuff on the menu to the pho. It's weird that they don't use Vermicelli

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  20. jet

jet Senior member

This was not my experience at all sorry to hear about yours.