1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Kvc06

Kvc06 Senior member

Hi friends,

What must I do near the Beverly Hilton? Mid June.

I enjoy good cocktails, coffee, cheap food.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  2. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Well you can get coffee… good cocktails, cheap food in BH? … lol.

Seriously, though what do you mean near? Only within walking distance or will you be driving?

3. Kvc06

Kvc06 Senior member

Haha well I assumed and hoped.. I won't have a car and will only be in town on business for 2 days. First time to LA and likely won't be back for awhile.

I literally know nothing about the city so any recommendations are greatly appreciated. I would much rather get some pointers from you guys as opposed to browsing yelp and the likes...

4. jet

jet Senior member

there is a starbucks right by the hotel, you can walk to the margiela store, go to the peninsula for tea or walk down to rodeo to a cafe

for a light lunch go to il tramezzino where all the persios hang out, the nutella croissant with strawberries and bananas is legit, have with an orangina

1 person likes this.
  5. gramercyyork

gramercyyork Well-Known Member

If you are in town only a few days, you might not have much time to drive around, as the traffic can be a hassle. That area is always hard to get around. What type of food are you looking to eat?

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Gjelina's line is always stupid, although the food is usually fantastic. The way to do gjelina is leave yourself plenty of time (obviously), put your name in and give them your cell #, then walk down the street and have a drink somewhere else while you wait.

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

For Chinese I like Mr. Chow's, which is an easy walk from the Beverly Hilton.

8. jet

jet Senior member

ya i really dislike the venice crowd, most go to socialize and not for the food...this one couple was literally there for over an hour and forty five minutes

also seems it's become very touristy so that doesn't help as well, we did walk around but we should've got drinks at other room or something

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

As a member of the Venice crowd, I hear you. :)

You can avoid the more touristy element (but not the local hipster element) and still get pretty good food by heading over t0 Oscar's, Honoraria or Superba on Rose, or the new Superba place on Lincoln (just a couple blocks north of Lincoln). I'm also a fan of Sunny Spot on Washington. The food's just OK, but the drinks are good and it has a much more relaxed neighborhood vibe.

Shima, the sushi place more or less across the street from gjelina, is also good.

10. jet

jet Senior member

and don't get me started on all the sandals everywhere

thanks for the recs, never tried sunny spot since it opened but i wasn't aware of those other places

might just get a couple of the pizzas to go from gjelina by calling in next time

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Hey man, it's the beach!

(I don't wear sandals.)

Gjelina take-away is also a good plan.

12. jet

jet Senior member

you should come out next time, stella rosa is decent too

haven't been to axe since it burned down is it still good?

13. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Sure, give me a heads-up.

I haven't eaten at Axe in years either. I hear mixed things from friends. Nice space, though.

14. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

No kidding…. :lol: I don't think being near the beach has anything to do with it!

15. stevent

stevent Senior member

Anyone know if Bloomingdales in Beverley have Engineered Garments or Patrik Ervell?

16. gramercyyork

gramercyyork Well-Known Member

I don't think they do. Although the stockist list page on the Engineered Garments site isn't updated, so its possible. We stock our E.G in our shop but aren't listed on the stockist page. We're in Culver City.

17. jet

jet Senior member

friend took me to cut in bh on saturday for my bday, never had any interest to go until recently where i heard their steaks were superior to the usual suspects (mortons, mastros, ruths chris) and i'm not much of a steak eater but this intrigued me...was pleasantly surprised by the casualness and apporachability of the place and wait staff, not stuffy or pretentious at all. we got a couple whiskys at side bar which was a huge ripoff at $50 for a dram of springbank 10 and your basic ardbeg

moving on, they brought us the breadsticks and gougeres (sp?) which were nice then the onion focaccia and pretzel breads we selected
    kobe sashimi - pretty good
    pork belly - oustanding
    american wagyu and japanese wagyu - the best steaks i've ever had
    fingerling potato wedges were alright as was the creamed spinach with egg
    finished with the souffle and tea/coffee, they brought us tea cookies and more small treats

before our dinner came out wolfgang was going around greeting all the diners, we chatted him up for a few minutes, really nice guy

service was great and not overbearing, had to get taken out on a gurney

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
    6 people like this.
  18. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Ruth's Chris is the Tory Burch of steakhouses.

1 person likes this.
  19. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Those gougeres alone are worth the trip.

20. jet

jet Senior member

^that's what they say but I wasn't hardly impressed with them, perhaps I should have let them cool so they wouldn't have burned my mouth thereby rendering my taste buds non-operational...but the place was everything i was looking for in a restaurant for that particular night

cyc, well, ya

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014