1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Is there anything better than Sushi-Gen for the price?

2. jet

jet Senior member

probably not on price but check out Q and zo

3. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

My girlfriend and I ate at the Morton's right by the SLS one of the days we were in town last month because we were tired after a long day and didn't really want to eat at Bazaar.

Possibly the worst steakhouse experience I've ever had. The sides were poorly seasoned (garlic mashed potatoes were too garlicky to the point of being inedible), the salads weren't good, and their wine menu was just off (the "house sommelier told me Saldo was the big brother to The Prisoner, when it's actually the cheaper blend). The steak was okay, but I would have been truly shocked if a steakhouse had poor cuts of meat.

I was in Vegas a couple weeks ago, and STK was night and day difference compared to Morton's (which is exactly what one would expect), and was just about the same price. I guess that's what I get for not going to a REAL steakhouse, and instead going to a mediocre chain. :satisfied:

I guess I should have gotten some reservations at Cut. Next time.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  4. SchoolyardBully

SchoolyardBully Senior member

Yes. If you're a Sashimi-fiend, try Hama Sushi right down the street @ Lil Tokyo.

I never like Sushi-Gen solely because of the small portion and little chunks of fish they put on your Sashimi platter.

If you're familiar with Alhambra, CA. There's a place that sells sashimi by weight and the fish are aged quite nicely and it's super cheap. It's called Yama seafood market on Las Tunas. TO GO only though.

5. SchoolyardBully

Man, you should have gone down the street to Lawry's Prime Rib steak house.

Could have saved a few bucks and walk out with a better experience

6. SchoolyardBully

Wagyu with their red wine sauce is amazing

7. stevent

stevent Senior member

Been craving Irish curry, any place in LA have it?

8. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

Does the steak house in Torrance still have japanese wagyu?

9. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

Had red medicine again when I was back last month. They changed things up quite a bit. When it first opened was asian inspired now it's more forage kind of place. Just love how they named their resturant after a fugazi song

10. FlyingLotus

FlyingLotus Senior member

Anyone know when fred segal does the next drop?

11. tjonesd2

tjonesd2 Senior member

what are the sales like right now?

12. ysb

ysb Senior member

pretty meh. it was mostly 50% this weekend, maybe they do another drop to 75% this weekend. the email I got was that their 75% was starting last week and would last through the holiday weekend.

It's been mostly picked through, with some past season geller stuff still there, if you were wanting any of those double sleeved hoodies or t's that were totally boxy, then they have those. I saw a brown/white dip-dye sweatshirt in 52, which is going to be oversized for most. Also a fair amount of the Pacific Man stuff, which was overpriced at retail ($800 for a plain cashmere sweater)

Didn't realize that the other building with Umamiburger was shutting down and all of the stores in that side were either relocating to the other side or moved.

off topic, if by chance the person that picked up the Drkshdw cargo pants from Guild reads this board and you want to get rid of them, hit me up. Or if anyone knows where I might be able to find a pair of these, they seem to be very scarce to non-existent anywhere. I think there are drkshdw stockists in the LA area that don't have an online presence. Recommendations would be appreeshed.

13. tjonesd2

tjonesd2 Senior member

Hmm thanks. You know if any of the Ron Herman store stuff is on sale?

14. ysb

ysb Senior member

The Melrose shop? don't know, I was talking about the Santa Monica location.

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

nm

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  16. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but:

I need an L.A. hotel room for a few nights at the end of the month and Hotwire has one left in Downtown L.A. Given the specs, I'm 90% sure it's the Standard. The price is reasonable ($125 a night) and I often park at the Standard anyways when I'm hanging out in the area. But I'm not sure the full-on douchefest will be worth it. Thoughts?

17. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Agreed with the douchfest assessment but why would you want to stay DTLA anyway? Unless it's required for your trip in which case on with the douchefest because $125 for a good room is cheap.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  18. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Standard is fine.

19. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

I don't mind Downtown at all and have stayed there on multiple occasions. That being said, I guess I'd prefer being on the Westside or near the beach this trip.

20. jet

jet Senior member

Finally after a couple years we went to laurel hardware but the wait was too long to eat so we walked over to salts cure. The pate was great as was the pretzel with pickled vegetables. We got the ojai salad which was good and the ale braised pork shoulder and the half chicken. Quality was great but not things I would get again. Will definitely go back to sample more of the menu. Desserts needed work as my buddy and I can't stand citrus based ones so we said fuck it and went back for the scene at LH. When we left we ended up at sk donuts which I've been wanting to try for awhile and fuck me those were some of the tastiest donuts I've had. Standard donuts done perfectly.