• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had dinner at Bestia - the Cavatelli is amazing

Had dinner at Mo Chica - nothing that great

Dont get the pizza at Bestia, its boring.

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Can anyone reccomend a baller tuxedo rental spot? Looking to rent some Prada or BoO level stuff - I don't own a tux and need to go to a black tie event, and my funds for formal wear are allocated elsewhere (besides the fact I already have nice suits, just haven't stepped it up to my own tux). I refuse to wear some slouchy rental ****.

Thanks

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Can anyone reccomend a baller tuxedo rental spot? Looking to rent some Prada or BoO level stuff - I don't own a tux and need to go to a black tie event, and my funds for formal wear are allocated elsewhere (besides the fact I already have nice suits, just haven't stepped it up to my own tux). I refuse to wear some slouchy rental ****.

Thanks

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fred Segals buys were such **** from what I saw yesterday

Did you see any Wings+Horns (oxford) or Gitman Vintage? They used to be good when i was working down the street from there, but not last season from what i remember

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did you see any Wings+Horns (oxford) or Gitman Vintage? They used to be good when i was working down the street from there, but not last season from what i remember

no W+H, gitman cube flannels in larger sizes

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

no W+H, gitman cube flannels in larger sizes

Thank you so much, u saved me a trip driving to the west side from downtown, hah

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I would just go to any of the good places listed in this thread without any v day connotations, chances are they will have some type of special.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone been to WP24? Was thinking there for Valentines Day.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone been to WP24? Was thinking there for Valentines Day.

haha I was looking at this for valentines too, I dunno where to go don't want anything that screams valentines day though

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

haha I was looking at this for valentines too, I dunno where to go don't want anything that screams valentines day though

It does.

I just heard about the new Italian resturant Aventine in Hollywood. Thinking that might be a cool new spot worth trying.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've got no idea what you kids think of as romantic these days. but if you want old-school, you won't do much better than asking for one of the alcove tables at Valentino.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any updates on the sushi scene in LA? I've used Zagat to guide my choices thus far and have been pleased. I always do omakase, and prefer more of the traditional or etomae style of sushi rather than Nobu/fusion.

So far I've tried:

• Sushi Zo -- liked it a lot, even got into the whole Sushi Nazi thing. Wasn't crazy about the location
  • Nishimura -- a bit of a weird vibe, but sushi was super fresh and kind of interesting. Was almost too traditional for me. Zagat 29 food rating seems a bit high :)
  • Hamasaku -- good, but a lot of tempura and too new-age for me. Very fun scene if not too LA for people from LA

On my list...direct me if I'm wrong or should prioritize:

• Asanebo -- hear it has great omakase, but it is out of the way for me (I stay in Westwood), and I am turned off on the no reservations at the sushi bar policy
  • Sushi Sasabune -- big fan of the NY location (hey, I like the warm rice and blue-crab roll to end the meal). Seems to be a step below some of the above locations though
  • Mori Sushi -- haven't been, sounds promising. Hear if the head chef isn't there quality drops fast

Thanks!

Last edited:

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

• Sushi Zo -- liked it a lot, even got into the whole Sushi Nazi thing. Wasn't crazy about the location

Sushi Zo - is this the one on National in that random strip mall (next to Starbucks & Taco Plus or something)?

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sushi Zo - is this the one on National in that random strip mall (next to Starbucks & Taco Plus or something)?

Exactly! Been there a couple times, really. The sushi is top notch. I never thought I'd be one to say this, but the pieces ARE really small. Not that I'm a beast, but I always find myself asking for a few more pieces of fish and the chefs barely say a word. They get quite exotic, however.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads