1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

You probably lucked out - I don't think you missed much not having dinner at LH. It's not bad by any means. They have some great, fun drinks. But for the most part they're serving the exact same bacon- , mac & cheese-, and kale-centered small plates as 65% of the other restaurants in town. They're generally well done, tasty, and a perfectly good option if you want decent food you can share among a group of friends. But I certainly haven't had anything there that makes me go, "Wow, we should definitely go back to Laurel Hardware, because they serve that amazing ____ that nobody else can touch."

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  2. jet

jet Senior member

I knew that's what we were in store and we actually went there for the scene but since we were hungry we thought why not. I know we didn't miss anything.

Probably hit hatfields at the rec of my dentist and get me some chi spacca in a couple weeks. Just trying to catch up to places I've been wanting to check out for a long while.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  3. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Haven't been to Laurel for precisely the reasons you and LD pointed out. SK donuts however, are, agreed.... amazing! :nodding:

4. JL77

JL77 Well-Known Member

Salt's Cure is one of our favorite brunch spots in LA. They don't do anything crazy, but they do the simple things really well. Oatmeal griddle cakes with apple brown butter are superb.

Also, SK's is killer. Sounds like you had a good night.

5. jet

jet Senior member

^yes sir, hit sk again last night chocolate bar is ridic

had GTA again, love how fast the food comes out without all that restaurant bullshit

had the guanciale pizza again, my fav pie

porchette sandwich and brisket banh mi, the latter was just outstanding must go back just for that

6. CityHunter

CityHunter Senior member

Advice needed! Italian restuarant recs!
    My brother is back from overseas and is taking my family out to dinner before he leaves again (we haven't had a full family dinner is YEARS). Being the traditional Asian parents that they are, their favorite restaurants are IHOP, Chinese food from SGV, and if they are feeling fancy, Olive Garden (they love Italian). We decided on exposing them to an Italian restaurant that they would have never opted to go to, but would still enjoy. That said, I've come up with this list:

Baco Mercat
    Bucato
    Sotto
    Gjelina
    Tasting Kitchen
    Factory Kitchen
    Alimento
    Superba Snack Bar
    Scopa Italian Roots
    Angelini Osteria
    Scarpetta

I personnally would go for Baco Mercat, Sotto, or Gjelina.
    But I think Angelini Osteria, Tasting Kitchen, or Factory Kitchen would be more my parents' speed/safe. Any recommendations?

My number 1 choice was Bestia, but that place is always booked

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Do you really mean Italian, or do you just mean someplace that serves pasta and/or pizza? Because I don't think of Gjelina, Tasting Kitchen, or Superba as Italian by an stretch. (Pretty sure that's true of Baco Mercat as well, although I haven't made it there yet.)
    If you wanted to go Italian in the Venice area (sort of as replacements for those three on the list) there's Ado and Honoria. Valentino is Valentino - not knowing your folks, they could really enjoy, or be really intimidated by, the gracious old school service.

8. CityHunter

CityHunter Senior member

To be honest, I didn't do THAT much research...I just started compiling a list of restaurants that (I believed) had Italian elements - I know Glenlina has some pizzas, apparently Superba has good pasta according to some internet list (I wouldn't know, I've only eaten there for brunch), and I liked Baco Mercat for lunch...but I have't been there for a while and I assumed their dinner was more Italian. Meh.

Anyway, definitely going to look up Ado, Honoria, and Valentino - thanks @lawyerdad !

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

NP. Also, while Gjelina -- Italian or not -- is great, it's always crowded and busy, and the service is hit-or-miss. Again, I don't know your folks, but it wouldn't be at the top of my list of places to take parents.

10. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

What about Bestia? I've heard good things.

edit: Ok, saw you mentioned that, forget it.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  11. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

without knowing your parents or other parameters -- geography, cost, etc -- i'd probably rule out scarpetta (too bh), superba (too hipster), tasting kitchen (ditto) Gjelina (ditto), Bucato (ditto) and baco (not really italian and kind of crowded and noisy for a family dinner). if it was my choice, I'd probably (again, depending on geography) go for angelini (great food, but kind of small), Alimento (haven't been yet, but steve's a goodcook) and would probably end up at Factory Kitchen. it's downtown, over by bestia, and the food is really, really terrific. service is very friendly, not at all offputting. the chef is the guy who ran valentino's kitchen during its heyday. it's great food but should be comfortable enough they won't feel weird.

3 people like this.
  12. jet

jet Senior member

there's a reason this guy's name is foodguy

13. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

14. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

you mean besides the 38 waist?

haven't eaten there enough to like it. i think it's the kind of place that has to grow on you. but a lot of my friends who are really good cooks love it, so ... but that is a good suggestion for OP if they're looking mid-Wilshire.
    SVB, have you been to maccheroni republic? i actually thought i saw you standing in line at guisados the other day.

1 person likes this.
  15. jet

jet Senior member

are there any restaurants that you know of that are cigar friendly? always good to have a list

16. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

this isn't 1995 man. get current.
    sheesh. kids.
    anyplace with an outdoor patio (not gjelina-like, because that's more of a courtyard).

17. jet

jet Senior member

haha, there are two restaurants in oc that are very cigar friendly thought maybe you'd have the inside connect

18. AloysiusSF

AloysiusSF Senior member

really enjoyed reading this assessment, feels spot on to me for the places i've been to.

Cityhunter -- I very enthusiastically +1 the recommendation of Factory Kitchen for a family dinner with your parents (over both bestia and terroni dtla)

i ate there for the first time this past sunday, and was surprised at how not scene-y the vibe was for a newer DTLA spot (vs. bestia and to a lesser extent terroni) - I think it's pretty ideal for taking your asian parents - there were several families dining when i went there with my gf (although we did go on the earlier side with a 6.30 res) -- fwiw, i'm also asian and would feel good about taking my mid-60s korean parents there

food also is imo (and echoing food guy) excellent - the pastas i felt were on par if not better than bestia, and exceeded those of terroni - flatbreads were also shockingly delicious

1 person likes this.
  19. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Anybody been to Q?

20. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

Good. we've decided he's taking them to Factory Kitchen. Must-order: Mandilli, focaccia di recco (they call it something slightly different), porchetta. drink barbera. have fun.

1 person likes this.