• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the tips. My wife isn't a big drinker, so we may opt for the bar service rather than the full tasting.

Now that I remember, it was 3 years ago that we went. It doesn't seem like it was that long, but it was for my wife's 40th, followed by us going to Metier for our 15th anniversary a little more than a month later. Metier paled in comparison. I think she did the tasting menu there, and I did a la carte.

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that I remember, it was 3 years ago that we went. It doesn't seem like it was that long, but it was for my wife's 40th, followed by us going to Metier for our 15th anniversary a little more than a month later. Metier paled in comparison. I think she did the tasting menu there, and I did a la carte.
Can't believe it's been around for that long! I'm going to take my wife there for our 2 yr wedding anni.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about church, what ever happened to your "Sunday best"? It seems to have turned into Saturday-at-the-bbq best. I am sometimes the only one there in a tie, apart from the church ushers. Some people show up in cut-off jean shorts and Redskins jerseys.
Maybe. I can only speak from personal experience. Maybe smaller towns are different too. Not sure.
Possibly, although I go to church almost every week. Sometimes people see me in a tie and ask if I'm doing one of the readings

African American churches across the US will be formal in their dress.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At my synagogue, the lowest form of dress is slacks and a shirt, but most put on a jacket and on Saturday morning services, most men wear a suit and tie.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
8D105788-49BD-4369-ADD9-1862D595E93D.jpeg

Just scored tix to see Ed Gero as Falstaff at the Folger! He’s probably the DC area’s best known actor and great friend of Stacy Keach. Seen him many times but most memorably as Glouster to Keach’s King Lear several years ago.

Anyone ever check out the Folger? Great place to wear CM by the way...?

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
African American churches across the US will be formal in their dress.

If you walk into any black church underdressed, eyebrows will be raised, brows will be furrowed and whispers will be heard quite clearly. So much silent shame will be cast in your direction not only will your cheeks turn red but the church member who brought you as a guest will also turn red

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
36F43BD5-2464-453C-9AF9-D14D60551F20.jpeg

It's way too hot around here for a raincoat in the summer. The impact of climate change in our region seems to mean shorter, more intense storms. Got completely soaked walking from Metro yesterday afternoon. Rain and hail were basically coming down sideways. Seersucker suit, linen shirt, and umbrella from Kent Wang and Bigi linen tie from NMWA. Might as well have jumped in the pool.

I've given up on Kent Wang but I have to admit their Italian umbrellas are first-rate and not too expensive. It kept me dry from the chin up at least.

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1219894

It's way too hot around here for a raincoat in the summer. The impact of climate change in our region seems to mean shorter, more intense storms. Got completely soaked walking from Metro yesterday afternoon. Rain and hail were basically coming down sideways. Seersucker suit, linen shirt, and umbrella from Kent Wang and Bigi linen tie from NMWA. Might as well have jumped in the pool.

I've given up on Kent Wang but I have to admit their Italian umbrellas are first-rate and not too expensive. It kept me dry from the chin up at least.

I was working from home yesterday and my power went out 4 times during the short rain/hail storm, and now my oven is FRIED :mad:. What went wrong with Kent Wang?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was working from home yesterday and my power went out 4 times during the short rain/hail storm, and now my oven is FRIED :mad:. What went wrong with Kent Wang?
Really bad communications and zero quality control. Weeks going by on unanswered emails, opaque website requiring contant questions, suit arriving not made as specified and crammed into a USPS Priority Mail box. The money saved was not worth the ass-pain. At the end of the day I was just getting something made by some Chinese factory.

The linen shirt fabric is of mediocre quality and two of the buttons fell off on the first wear. Umbrella is nice at least. Might actually get another one for my wife.

Will only do MTM and above in person from now on. Worth the expense!

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really bad communications and zero quality control. Weeks going by on unanswered emails, opaque website requiring contant questions, suit arriving not made as specified and crammed into a USPS Priority Mail box. The money saved was not worth the ass-pain. At the end of the day I was just getting something made by some Chinese factory.

The linen shirt fabric is of mediocre quality and two of the buttons fell off on the first wear. Umbrella is nice at least. Might actually get another one for my wife.

Will only do MTM and above in person from now on. Worth the expense!

Haha, the things we do for clothes. Ever plan on going the full bespoke route?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. I've done MTM through Brooks Brothers, Kent Wang, Ezra Paul, and Steed. The last two were because I had acquired fabric. All are nice, were fun experiences (minus the KW shenanigans), and I wear the heck out of them.

I'm an easy fit for RTW at 42L/35, probably why I like the Italian stuff so much as they are usually Drop 7.

I'll stick with RTW and fit in some future MTM projects for stuff I can't easily find. Not sure I'm willing to go down the bespoke road as fun as that would be.

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a cobbler rec that’s not Bedo’s or sky valet?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used this guy for heels, taps and such. Does good work. My wife had a purse repaired here as well.

Capture 2.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads