• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve actually bought quite a lot (for me) during the pandemic. I’ve been trying to consciously build out a casual wardrobe instead of just wearing random hiking/fishing stuff so that has been a lot, but I’ve also gotten a sport coat, a few ties, two pair of shoes, dress trousers, etc.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve actually bought quite a lot (for me) during the pandemic. I’ve been trying to consciously build out a casual wardrobe instead of just wearing random hiking/fishing stuff so that has been a lot, but I’ve also gotten a sport coat, a few ties, two pair of shoes, dress trousers, etc.
I bought a lot at NMWA early on last year to flesh out my casual wardrobe. Kind of sated now. Can’t see myself commissioning any more suits or dropping too much coin on clothes anymore. Will snap up the occasional neat find but am leaning closer and closer to this:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a lot at NMWA early on last year to flesh out my casual wardrobe. Kind of sated now. Can’t see myself commissioning any more suits or dropping too much coin on clothes anymore. Will snap up the occasional neat find but am leaning closer and closer to this:

I still need to buy my entire “English gentleman country wardrobe” for my retirement. Figure I’m good for a couple more tweed sport coats, cords, a Barbour jacket, C&J Islays. May throw in some plus fours just for kicks.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still need to buy my entire “English gentleman country wardrobe” for my retirement. Figure I’m good for a couple more tweed sport coats, cords, a Barbour jacket, C&J Islays. May throw in some plus fours just for kicks.
My wife really likes these guys (she grew up on a farm/ranch):

I've always liked this Irish company:

With this stuff all you need is a trusty hound, muddy fields, and maybe a Gameskeeper. Also, getting my daughter her first Barbour jacket for Christmas this year.

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had a few purchases since COVID: MTM fall/winter casual shirts by Hamrajani, Carmina wholecuts, Meermin loafers. I am now eyeing some formal shirts by Hamrajani, a navy blazer, Carmina brogues or monk strap, barbour waxed cotton jacket, and fancy new eyeglasses. Will update as I make purchases!

How about another planned meet up but on a FRI-SAT so more folks can make it?

I'd actually suggest a Wednesday or Thursday again because you never know what plans people have on weekends (mine are largely spoken for this November) and they're not likely to break them for their internet friends.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd actually suggest a Wednesday or Thursday again because you never know what plans people have on weekends (mine are largely spoken for this November) and they're not likely to break them for their internet friends.
To the contrary, e-bros > real-life bros.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dinner at new place in Clarendon.

With a Rye Manhattan nicely done.
C662CF36-56DA-498A-A351-6DB453776CBF.jpeg

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dinner at new place in Clarendon.

With a Rye Manhattan nicely done.
View attachment 1690490
Did this replace TTT? How’s the food compared to Lyon Hall?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did this replace TTT? How’s the food compared to Lyon Hall?
Had the salmon and it was very good. Menu is decent but not huge. It’s right next to TTT which is still in business. I’ve had some not-so-hot meals the last few times I’ve been to Lyon Hall. We’ve made the Green Pig our default “nice” place within walking distance.

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had the salmon and it was very good. Menu is decent but not huge. It’s right next to TTT which is still in business. I’ve had some not-so-hot meals the last few times I’ve been to Lyon Hall. We’ve made the Green Pig our default “nice” place within walking distance.
Thanks! I’ll have to check it out with the wife.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neat! Went there once and it was pretty cool. @clee1982

"The promise of comfort and escape is key to the Polo Bar’s appeal, particularly its heavy all-equestrian décor, reminiscent of the cigar-smoking, tweed-wearing, old-money grandfather you never had — an atmosphere that attracts real estate moguls and irony-seeking millennials alike."

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you went to the NYC one?
Yeah, several years ago. Didn't realize it was a reservation-only kind of place but they let me in for a pre-dinner cocktail at the bar.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads