• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

dc_slicker

Reaction score
The Seamster is a tool watch. Great for diving and swimming (if recently pressure tested). Great for timekeeping a countdown using the bezel. Very good visibility in low light. It's pretty robust as far as mechanical watches go - it's not a Breguet dress watch. I take my IWC Ingenieur off for playing softball and it's losing about a three minutes a month right now, so it's slightly out of regulation, but it's not a huge deal. I'd like to see someone's apple watch deal with an EMP.
Oh yeah. The craftsmanship that goes into these watches is something else
IWC is an incredible watch.
Is it out of warranty? Why wont you send it out to get serviced?

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah. The craftsmanship that goes into these watches is something else
IWC is an incredible watch.
Is it out of warranty? Why wont you send it out to get serviced?

It's 20 years old now. I've had it serviced three times in that period, but none in the past 4-5 years. It's due. But, it's expensive to service. I think the last time was over $700 for cleaning, lubrication, adjustment, new gaskets, pressure testing, replacement of one of the hands (they determined it was bent when they completely disassembled the watch), reapplication of the luminous material, and cleaning and refinishing of the case. It was a very thorough job and came back as a new watch. The hardest part is giving it up for 3 months while it's in service. I have an IWC Mark XII limited edition, but I wear that less than 60 days a year compared to the Ingenieur, which is my everyday watch.

dc_slicker

Reaction score
It's 20 years old now. I've had it serviced three times in that period, but none in the past 4-5 years. It's due. But, it's expensive to service. I think the last time was over $700 for cleaning, lubrication, adjustment, new gaskets, pressure testing, replacement of one of the hands (they determined it was bent when they completely disassembled the watch), reapplication of the luminous material, and cleaning and refinishing of the case. It was a very thorough job and came back as a new watch. The hardest part is giving it up for 3 months while it's in service. I have an IWC Mark XII limited edition, but I wear that less than 60 days a year compared to the Ingenieur, which is my everyday watch.

that bites. Yeah I won’t rush to get it services either in this case. Sounds like it is not your only watch so you can alternate and re adjust it time to time.

my old MacBook Pro is around that much to get services. At which point I might as well get MacBook Air.
had pro for years due to its speed but with AWS I really don’t need that much power

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of big diver watches but that looks pretty nice

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody going to today's protest?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Water was way up at Great Falls. Great day for hiking. Blue Heron we’re ripping fish out of the water as the rains washed them into little pools along the river. Saw a snake devouring a bird up in a tree. Something you usually only see metaphorically in DC...
8FF9B877-8C73-42AD-AD1A-55043EB4C653.jpeg
0631AEB2-C77A-4A55-AFBF-793A9B0A2CEC.jpeg
EB7A911C-BC89-4016-BF4E-9801610A1295.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@TheSuitBurnsBetter looks like the day was peaceful. What did you think?

I enjoyed a Rye Manhattan, up of course, at Ragtime here in Arlington last night. Was sitting outside and had to get crab cake sandwich to go as storm blew in. Did get to enjoy the drink at least.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@TheSuitBurnsBetter looks like the day was peaceful. What did you think?

I enjoyed a Rye Manhattan, up of course, at Ragtime here in Arlington last night. Was sitting outside and had to get crab cake sandwich to go as storm blew in. Did get to enjoy the drink at least.
Very peaceful, jubilant even? Singing, chanting, marching. Glad I got to be part of it. Crowds are a little difficult for me though so I left around 3, right before the rain started.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads