• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure this is a “safe space”

Theres a handful of us in this thread that are govies, just FYI.

And Speaking for myself, could take or leave a big truck, but a good beer is 👍. Definition of good is a topic for the next gathering.

Even bad beer is good.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Government?

uh oh, whatever I said on this thread is hypothetical and doesn’t mean the context written.

I love America, I love big trucks and beer.
Honest.
You’re safe for now. I’m not on the UK Surveillance Squad anymore and have shifted to the Aussie team. We’ve staked out their Embassy as there are piles of Hemsworth's sneaking into this country, starring in all our movies, and dating all the babes. We’re not sure how they are doing it but figure their Embassy is a good place to start.

One of my teammates is in overwatch at the Swedish Embassy tracking all the damn Skarsgaard’s doing the exact same thing.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure this is a “safe space”

Theres a handful of us in this thread that are govies, just FYI.

And Speaking for myself, could take or leave a big truck, but a good beer is 👍. Definition of good is a topic for the next gathering.
The old paradigms have changed and the Monty Python joke doesn’t hold anymore.

“Q: Why is American beer like making love in a canoe?
A: Because it's f*cking close to water.”

Lots of amazing beer to be had here!

professor

Reaction score
Quick question to those who wear suits to work.

Are you customer/client facing and need to wear tailoring or are you office based and the only people you see are employees and choose to.

I've always worked customer facing and enjoy being presentable, I don't think I could go back to non facing and wear suits.
I am, as my handle suggests, an academic. I am doing admin stuff at the moment and suits-and-ties are more common among my administrative colleagues, but in general, I have little reason to dress formally other than because I like to do so (and the occasional ceremony that requires it). Since I began my career, I have always worn a tie on days I was teaching, even while those around me were in ratty jeans.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Government?

uh oh, whatever I said on this thread is hypothetical and doesn’t mean the context written.

I love America, I love big trucks and beer.
Honest.
None of those namby pamby sour things tho. High Life or nothing...unsure if we support Bud Light again at this point. The "bawitdaba" guy said it was acceptable now

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never go into watching fights. Just never clicked with me for some reason.
FWIW, I don't appreciate something unless I have enough experience (or secondhand knowledge) to semi-understand it.

Like, I can theoretically understand how skilled someone like Khabib is, and can imagine how not fun it would be to fight him...but I still have next to no idea what he's actually doing when he's doing it

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you customer/client facing and need to wear tailoring or are you office based and the only people you see are employees and choose to.
I wear a jacket and tie at the office by choice. Our dress code collapsed during the pandemic and the former business casual requirements went out the window.

I do not see clients face to face and usually only see coworkers. Being that I am at a military contractor, wearing business dress is seen favorably by upper management.

My attitude has served me well so far.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've always worked customer facing and enjoy being presentable, I don't think I could go back to non facing and wear suits.
A mix of both, but most of the non client facing people are much more casual in dress. Suits are more rare for me except for church and year end client meetings or big presentations. I do this because I enjoy it.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello DC people -

As some of you already know (as evidenced by the day being mostly booked up), I'll be back in your city (hoping for no Canadian toxic smoke cloud this time) for appointments on May 9 at the Sonder in Georgetown.

This time, I'm towing along my friend Gianluca Migliarotti who will hold appointments for Pommella bespoke trousers.

I'm hoping we can do drinks and a nice meal after the day of appointments, like last time. What do y'all think?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. I’m in!

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As luck would have it I will have the day off. I am lobbying heavily to make dinner since I missed the festivities last time. Besides it isn’t everyday that so many of the DMV’s best gather together.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone heard free wine pairing at Jônt so here we am. Spier flannel suit and green herringbone tweed waistcoat, haspel shirt, Amide Hadelin flannel tie.

IMG_20240327_202115_306.jpg

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Trial lawyer here, in court nearly every day so I'm in a suit and tie just about every day. I will say, though, that I've become cavalier enough that I've started wearing a jacket, odd trousers, tie, and loafers on Fridays more recently and realized absolutely no one cares. But I'm the only male lawyer I know who doesn't change out of my court attire immediately after leaving.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello DC people -

As some of you already know (as evidenced by the day being mostly booked up), I'll be back in your city (hoping for no Canadian toxic smoke cloud this time) for appointments on May 9 at the Sonder in Georgetown.

This time, I'm towing along my friend Gianluca Migliarotti who will hold appointments for Pommella bespoke trousers.

I'm hoping we can do drinks and a nice meal after the day of appointments, like last time. What do y'all think?
Wait whaaaat???

Just kidding, can’t wait. I’m in for trunk show and drinks/dinner.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads