• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy St. Paddy's Day all. Be safe out there!
56389.jpg

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
U Street is already full of soon-to-be-drunk Gen Zers wearing green. Tonight is the night to hit up your local Mexican restaurant for its margarita specials.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
U Street is already full of soon-to-be-drunk Gen Zers wearing green. Tonight is the night to hit up your local Mexican restaurant for its margarita specials.
Those count as they are green as well.

SpallaPerfetta

Reaction score
What’s the consensus on traditional 3 button sport coats? (Not 3 roll 2)

I am following a beautiful Brioni jacket on eBay that should fit me like a glove and the price keeps dropping but I don’t want to look like I just arrived in a Time Machine from 1997.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s the consensus on traditional 3 button sport coats? (Not 3 roll 2)

I am following a beautiful Brioni jacket on eBay that should fit me like a glove and the price keeps dropping but I don’t want to look like I just arrived in a Time Machine from 1997.
I don't like them at all, at least on me. Looks a bit too stuffy and more 1910 than 1997. Greatly prefer a 3 x 2 full roll.

Traditional three buttons can look good on very tall guys, though.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you get it and don't care for it, you can always have the collar re-pressed to create a 3-2 roll. I did that with a linen jacket a while back.

ETA: "SHOULD" be able to have it re-pressed to a 3-2. I probably should have stated that straight away, as it's not always possible....but often is. ;)

Last edited:

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you get it and don't care for it, you can always have the collar re-pressed to create a 3-2 roll. I did that with a linen jacket a while back.

ETA: "SHOULD" be able to have it re-pressed to a 3-2. I probably should have stated that straight away, as it's not always possible....but often is. ;)
That is what I have planned for this one. It will be a very casual unstructured look for summer. It is 100% linen.
IMG_4220.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah that existing full-crease should be steamed out anyway, and then just a portion of the collar is actually pressed to provide the "roll" normally seen on a decent coat.

You should be able to steam that out manually pretty easily. Then just play with it a bit until you see a lapel roll you like, and gently press the top portion (maybe 3-ish inches below the notch and up) and you should be GTG.

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought a long time grail off eBay earlier this week, USPS lost it for a day, and then it safely arrived on Friday. Honestly was shocked to be the only bidder.

Their condition was definitely well worn with many scuffs, smudges, etc., but with plenty of life in the soles. The leather was still buttery soft but definitely in need of renovation.

It became a weekend project to restore this pair. I hadn’t opened the shine kit in years and I quickly remembered why after I started the process lol. But the end result was worth it.

Before:

IMG_0039.jpeg IMG_0040.jpeg IMG_0041.jpeg

After:

IMG_0046.jpeg IMG_0047.jpeg IMG_0048.jpeg IMG_0049.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright! 30 miles on the bike today and ended with Cherry Blossoms. Weather about to get cooler so today is the day to see the blossoms I think. Park Service about to cut down almost 300 trees that are dying due to the flooding. 2-3 year project apparently to raise the walls and plant new trees.

IMG_E8114.JPG IMG_E8116.JPG IMG_E8125.JPG IMG_E8127.JPG

... and a St. Paddy's Day Lamb Shawarma to celebrate the ride!
IMG_E8112.JPG

Last edited:

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The most traditional of Irish foods. (after closing t'pub of course)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads