• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to my 3rd Amendment Support Group tonight but it was cancelled!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I ordered two dress shirts from Sid. A few of mine could use replacing and I wanted to help a business I love. Also bought a hat from NMWA and am mildly grumpy that my size is already gone in a Schneider shirt that listed today!

Worthy of a harrumph as Harvey Korman would say in support of Mel Brooks.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, I ordered two dress shirts from Sid. A few of mine could use replacing and I wanted to help a business I love. Also bought a hat from NMWA and am mildly grumpy that my size is already gone in a Schneider shirt that listed today!

Worthy of a harrumph as Harvey Korman would say in support of Mel Brooks.
What type of hat?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never been a hat person, but am maybe considering trying one out? What works with standard business dress? Or is this something I should just not even touch until I'm 60 and no one can complain about anything I wear?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never been a hat person, but am maybe considering trying one out? What works with standard business dress? Or is this something I should just not even touch until I'm 60 and no one can complain about anything I wear?
I have a Navy fedora I wear in super-cold weather. Didn’t wear it once this year as winter was a nothing-burger. Also have a Panama I wear when it’s triple digits in the summer and the sun is beating down. Goes well with linen and linen-blend suits. I also have a few wool baseball caps I’ll pair with a suit during my commute sometimes.

I was a little self conscious at first but got used to them. Got them here:

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cold weather I do peaky blinders style with drivers cap.

hot weather I wear Panama hat.

bsarosi

Reaction score
Yeah, I just cannot justify moving out there. My wife wants to move to Oakton/Vienna and I'm dumbfounded by the home prices there. I plan on moving to Fairfax Station and maintain this commute to some degree.

Thank you. It's just not realistic for me. I know it but the home prices close to the beltway are just nuts. Burke is lights out and hush when it gets dark despite there being a lot of families with multiple kids. I had a friend who bought a nice brand new single house out in Aldie and he was freaking hating his commute to DC. Like I said above, I'll probably just head to Fairfax Station.

I live in Fairfax Station and I take VRE into DC when COVID-19 is not altering our lives. Commute is an hr door-to-door but only 5-10 of driving to Burke VRE. I assume you carpool from the commuter lot off Old Keene Mill...don’t think you’ll see much change to your commute by moving to Fairfax Station, although Fairfax Station does have some parts that extend out to Clifton and Centreville that would likely add some time.

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tempted to go see blossoms today at sunset. Haven’t been outside in about a week. Hopefully the crowds are less in the evening and with metro stations closed around there.

ny2dc

Reaction score
I live in Fairfax Station and I take VRE into DC when COVID-19 is not altering our lives. Commute is an hr door-to-door but only 5-10 of driving to Burke VRE. I assume you carpool from the commuter lot off Old Keene Mill...don’t think you’ll see much change to your commute by moving to Fairfax Station, although Fairfax Station does have some parts that extend out to Clifton and Centreville that would likely add some time.

Where in dc are you traveling to? Wife and I just discussed Fairfax Station this morning. We both think it’d be too much of hike into DC on a daily basis. Also, do you have kids? If so, how are the schools out there?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads