• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official EPL, Serie A, La Liga, Champions, Bundesliga world football threak!

Brian SD

Reaction score
So when Porto runs train on Spanish teams in the Uefa cup, what does that say about the Portugese league? Traditionally Spain has had pretty good competition, but lately it's a two team show. It is indeed difficult to say how they would fair against the Spurs and Liverpools because of the tendency to play reserve players in the Europa league. But don't forget how Valencia lost to a very mediocre Shalke in the CL, while Sevilla and Villareal both suffered bad losses in the Europa league, and Atleti and Getafe not even making it out of the group stage! And all of these teams lost to Barca and Real in the league. To continue the comparison, Liverpool defeated Chelsea (twice), United and City in the league.

Until the TV profit sharing gets sorted out and the FFP rules are implemented and enforced, La Liga is very much a two-team affair.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Yea I still dont know how Schalke did it. Old has beens vs Inter, last year's champions...
Please don't remind me. Jeezus, 2 losses, 7-3 aggregate....
devil.gif
frown.gif
cry.gif
But... ...WE'LL BE BACK!!!!
smile.gif
Originally Posted by ANIKETOS
Inter - Palermo is always a good game and it didn't disappoint yesterday. I feel sorry for Palermo even as an inter fan. They really deserve better,maybe a better owner as they have good players and a good manager now. I hope he doesn't fire him.
I agree. Other than Inter I like Udinese and Palermo, but Zamparini is too much.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
So when Porto runs train on Spanish teams in the Uefa cup, what does that say about the Portugese league? Traditionally Spain has had pretty good competition, but lately it's a two team show. It is indeed difficult to say how they would fair against the Spurs and Liverpools because of the tendency to play reserve players in the Europa league. But don't forget how Valencia lost to a very mediocre Shalke in the CL, while Sevilla and Villareal both suffered bad losses in the Europa league, and Atleti and Getafe not even making it out of the group stage! And all of these teams lost to Barca and Real in the league. To continue the comparison, Liverpool defeated Chelsea (twice), United and City in the league. Until the TV profit sharing gets sorted out and the FFP rules are implemented and enforced, La Liga is very much a two-team affair.
La Liga may indeed be a 2-team league, but those teams both made it to the CL semis. I think, to be fair, it is better to compare the CL instead of the EL (as you stated, the best players may not play those matches if the national league fight is tight). If La Liga is a 2-team affair, then the FPF is typically a 1-team affiar (either Porto or Benfica), no? Porto was obviously an exceptional team this year, but that doesn't equate to the FPF being deeper than La Liga. In this year's CL group stage, the associations that had teams advancing were: England 4 of 4 Spain 3 of 4 Italy 3 of 3 Germany 2 of 3 France 2 of 3 Ukraine 1 of 1 Denmark 1 of 1 Portugal 0 of 2 (Benfica, Braga) In this year's EL group stage, Spain advanced 2 of 4 teams, and Portugal advanced 2 of 2, including the eventual champion Porto.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
La Liga may indeed be a 2-team league, but those teams both made it to the CL semis.

I think, to be fair, it is better to compare the CL instead of the EL (as you stated, the best players may not play those matches if the national league fight is tight). If La Liga is a 2-team affair, then the FPF is typically a 1-team affiar (either Porto or Benfica), no? Porto was obviously an exceptional team this year, but that doesn't equate to the FPF being deeper than La Liga.

In this year's CL group stage, the associations that had teams advancing were:
England 4 of 4
Spain 3 of 4
Italy 3 of 3
Germany 2 of 3
France 2 of 3
Ukraine 1 of 1
Denmark 1 of 1
Portugal 0 of 2 (Benfica, Braga)

In this year's EL group stage, Spain advanced 2 of 4 teams, and Portugal advanced 2 of 2, including the eventual champion Porto.

I don't disagree with this.

My point isn't that the Portugese league is strong, just that it's difficult to get concrete results from a limited sample, so we have to look at the greater picture, which basically points to Spanish teams outside of the two giants largely under-performing.

Barca was beaten once in the CL - it was by Arsenal. Arsenal was beaten by Birmingham City in the FA Cup Final, who went on to get relegated. You don't see the same kind of competition in the Spanish league that you do in England because the Spanish teams aren't competitive with the top. I have no doubt that Barca would be top of the Prem if they for some reason made the jump. But teams like Stoke, Everton, Sunderland, etc. don't just roll over and take it up the ass because they're facing a big team. They'd have to fight for it.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I don't disagree with this.

My point isn't that the Portugese league is strong, just that it's difficult to get concrete results from a limited sample, so we have to look at the greater picture, which basically points to Spanish teams outside of the two giants largely under-performing.

Barca was beaten once in the CL - it was by Arsenal. Arsenal was beaten by Birmingham City in the FA Cup Final, who went on to get relegated. You don't see the same kind of competition in the Spanish league that you do in England because the Spanish teams aren't competitive with the top. I have no doubt that Barca would be top of the Prem if they for some reason made the jump. But teams like Stoke, Everton, Sunderland, etc. don't just roll over and take it up the ass because they're facing a big team. They'd have to fight for it.

Yes, I definitely agree with you there. I do think the Prem is the most competitive league now, in terms of top to bottom.

I would probably rank the associations, in terms of consistently competitive internal competitions, as such, currently:
1. Premier League (extremely competitive, very few soft matches).
2. Serie A and/or Bundesliga (although the rankings don't support my opinion, I think that in any year 3 or 4 teams are capable of winning the league; just look at the seasons-end points differential).
4. Liga (very 2-team dominant, enormous points differential between #2 and #3, etc.).
5. Ligue 1 (I just think the Ligue is not so great now, as it was in some years past...much of the top talent has fled to foreign clubs).

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was anyone else distracted by SAF's boutonnniere/pocket square combo? Add the 'floppiness' of his rose (
confused.gif
), and it very difficult to concentrate on the match....

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Was anyone else distracted by SAF's boutonnniere/pocket square combo? Add the 'floppiness' of his rose (
confused.gif

Yeah, for sure.

But those light grey suits with that bold red lining were pretty sharp looking. Rooney almost didn't look like a troll.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
confused.gif

I thought he was getting ready for Prom when I saw that.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
Great video. Thanks. What a great, great player.

Interesting: La Gazzetta (citing Marca) says that Guardiola will coach Barcelona through the end of the 2012 season and will then coach the Qatar national team beginning in 2013, for Euro 36M net/year.
eek.gif

I think he's going to find coaching a team of players that aren't even good enough for the MLS is going to be a lot more difficult then coaching a team with 3 of the top 10 players in the world. But damn Euro 36M/ year, there's no way anyone could turn that down.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Not much credence should be given to soccer tabloids. Isn't Marca a Madrid-sponsored paper anyway?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads