• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official EPL, Serie A, La Liga, Champions, Bundesliga world football threak!

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Not much credence should be given to soccer tabloids. Isn't Marca a Madrid-sponsored paper anyway?

Yeah.

Although, the Pep to Qatar rumor has been around for a while. The Barca-Qatar relationship has been pretty chummy lately (see: sponsorship, team traveling to play there MIDSEASON a couple years ago) and I wouldn't doubt them throwing a truckload of money his way to make a splash for the WC.

Pep needs to just stay at Barcelona. I never understood the getting bored with winning thing. Dude could end up being the GOAT.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just gonna leave this here
inlove.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
Yeah.

Although, the Pep to Qatar rumor has been around for a while. The Barca-Qatar relationship has been pretty chummy lately (see: sponsorship, team traveling to play there MIDSEASON a couple years ago) and I wouldn't doubt them throwing a truckload of money his way to make a splash for the WC.

Pep needs to just stay at Barcelona. I never understood the getting bored with winning thing. Dude could end up being the GOAT.

Sure Brian is correct but this rumor has been around for awhile, as you say; the Euro 36M/year offer is on the table (almost 3x what Mou makes/year); and the ties are there (Pep even played there for 2 years).

He has also repeatedly said he wants/needs to move on.

What I don't get is why there. Only if Qatar somehow buys nationality for 30 world-class players will the team even be competitive, and I can't see him coaching them through 2022 in any case.

Then again...
eurocoin.jpg
x 36,000,000.00....
Maybe it's all a tactic to get Barca to out-Mou Mou, I don't know.

Originally Posted by embowafa
I'm just gonna leave this here
inlove.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Beautiful, thanks.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by benecios
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news...cle743658.html

Hate to say I called it (because I don't believe I called it here), but I foresaw this happening from day one. It was only a matter of time before the obvious debauchery going on in the Qatar victory was going to get blown wide open, and people were going to look back and say "Well, we really should have voted for the US in the first place."

Interestingly I believe this does make the Pep to Qatar move a bit shakier. One of the primary reasons that Qatar is so desperate for a top-class coach is because they'll be hosts of the 2022 WC as it stands, and it would be a huge embarrassment for a country of such wealth to get knocked out of the competition early, a prediction that I don't believe many would disagree with.

Pep may be well-suited to a national team. His strength seems to be in putting team members in their best positions to exploit their creativity and helping them develop as players. His work in the transfer market has been largely abysmal - getting rid of Eto'O for Ibra, then subsequently getting rid of Ibra for Villa, who only scored two more this season than Ibra did. He would do well in a situation where he had players to select and call up (similar to an academy), or if at a club, at least a Director of Football in a more prominent role to help with the transfer market.

As for him wanting to leave Barcelona, I believe it. Every single week is another potential heart attack when you've got the weight of the soccer world on your shoulders. Of course, having guys like Messi and Iniesta around no doubt alleviates some of that. Then you have the rivalry between Spanish clubs spanning far beyond the club itself so the pressure becomes even greater as you're no longer just the pride of your club, but also your city, and in the case of Barca, all of Catalonia.

I could see Pep at an English club, and it would be hard to see him anywhere but one of the top. Obviously, stylistically he matches up well with Arsenal. Many see him at Chelsea or Manchester United - personally I think it'd be a pity for him to become Abramovich's shiny new toy and thrown out after a year like many others. As for Man United, I think Mourinho is a better fit, but I don't think there's a club in the world who wouldn't want a class-act like Guardiola at the helm. I actually think Liverpool has a suitable culture and system for someone like him. We even have our youth academy and teams being run by former Barca coaches. It'd be a dream come true for him to inherit the crown from Kenny when he steps down eventually, but there really are quite a few exciting young couches available who I'd love to have as well (Klopp, Deschamps, Villas Boas)

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always wonder how the Ny Red Bulls/La Galaxy would fare against Premier/Serie A/BBVA teams...in a reach match.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
I always wonder how the Ny Red Bulls/La Galaxy would fare against Premier/Serie A/BBVA teams...in a reach match.

Vs. the Champions League teams from those leagues? Awful. Vs. Europa League teams? A fighter's chance if they play out of their minds. Vs. everyone else...they could definitely compete.

I'd put the NYRB and Galaxy in their current form up there with middle of the table teams from the best leagues in Europe.

Look at Real Salt Lake...they almost won the CONCACAF Champions League. They were one game away from getting to compete in the FIFA Club World Cup.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Have you guys seen this business about Xavi moving to Eastlands? Apparently the Sheik is offering £80m and £300,000 per week to have him. For a guy on the wrong side of 30 who may or may not adapt to the Prem, he'll have virtually no resale value and will be a massive gamble. But who the **** cares? I'd feel bad for Xavi from a perspective of integrity. Dude is one of the best, but who knows how much he'll manage with Barry and De Jong in place of Iniesta and Messi.

Can't argue against some 65 million for your family's future, though. Should it happen, Cesc will no doubt go to Barca and then they could also bring in Pastore or Sanchez.

What a ******* spectacle this summer is going to be!

Brian SD

Reaction score
Wayne Rooney got a hair transplant. hahaha. Also, this is just great:
1306938116486.gif

Jared7

Reaction score
Sneijder to United (Or City)? Any of you see this happening? I know he said he wanted to stay at Inter but I'm hearing he was in England for a few days recently so maybe something is in the works.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared7
Sneijder to United (Or City)? Any of you see this happening? I know he said he wanted to stay at Inter but I'm hearing he was in England for a few days recently so maybe something is in the works.
If he goes to England I don't think he will go to Manchester: London, Hiddink, Chelsea.
I hope he stays at Inter though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads