• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slammo

Reaction score
Wide forefoot + high instep + narrow heel = which Carmina lasts?
I'm thinking Inca, rain and soller are a starting point because they are listed as the wider lasts but it's hard to find info about instep & heel fit.

I have the same foot shape but replace high instep with low instep. I emailed Carmina about it early last week and I'm still awaiting a response - I'll be sure to post it when it comes in. I'm also probably going to be trying on some Carminas at Epaulet this week
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
so I'll provide feedback afterwards.

Knowledge is King

Reaction score

I would appreciate a recomednation re lasts.
I am a 10D Alden barrie last. It is a wonderful fit, if not a little tight across the vamp at the end of the day.
I have a medium width forefoot and a narrow heel. I also have quite a high instep.
Definitley think the simpson willl be too narrow. What do you all suggest?
EDIT: Whoops just saw KIK's post above - seems to be we have the same question. Appreciate any different responses or maybe KIK and I will share info

Levoosh, I must have narrower heels than you -- the Barrie last has one of the widest heels I've encountered. For me the snug/high heel shape of the Modified last is the best I've found.

BCN Citizen

Reaction score

For general information I can tell you that my shoe size for Carmina's Rain is 10. I also use a 10 in C&J's Bradford and other C&J and Alfred Sargent. All of them in regular fitting

About Florsheim or Alden, and also AE, I usually pick up a 10,5 unless their fit my feet a little tight. I imagine my "ideal" size would be 10,75.

It`s said that a picture is worth a thousand words, so...

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For general information I can tell you that my shoe size for Carmina's Rain is 10. I also use a 10 in C&J's Bradford and other C&J and Alfred Sargent. All of them in regular fitting

[/quote]

the rain last looks much sleeker than CJ. What last is the CJ shoes on?

BCN Citizen

Reaction score
Both are shell cordovan. Carmina's are brand new. C&J are around 3 years old and I haven't given any kind of polish, just a poor brushing from time to time.

C&J are a Bradford style, so their last is 341 in E fitting.

diglett

Reaction score
I just picked up double monks on the Inca last, but I'm unsure of the sizing, seeing as this is my first pair of really "nice" shoes. I'm a 10D in Allen Edmonds, so I picked up a 9UK from Carmina.

The ball of my foot fits really nice and snug (seriously, perfect), but I'm getting the feeling that they're a tiny bit too big on the heels, especially on the right shoe. When I pick up my foot, my heel slips just a little bit, and I'm honestly not sure if that's supposed to happen at all. I took a bunch of photos and lumped them into an album, so if you guys could take a look at them and tell me what you think, I would really appreciate it.

The photos with the pen are for indicating how much my foot moves when I lift up my heel to take a step: The bottom of the pen points to where the top of the shoe ends when I'm not stepping.

Are these too big, or am I freaking out and being paranoid? Remember, the ball of my foot fits perfectly on both feet.

Cheers.

http://imgur.com/a/kRJUM

Edit: I rolled up my jeans to get clearer photos; I have no intention of going full pilgrim with the buckles and high pants.

Last edited:

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just picked up double monks on the Inca last, but I'm unsure of the sizing, seeing as this is my first pair of really "nice" shoes. I'm a 10D in Allen Edmonds, so I picked up a 9UK from Carmina.

The ball of my foot fits really nice and snug (seriously, perfect), but I'm getting the feeling that they're a tiny bit too big on the heels, especially on the right shoe. When I pick up my foot, my heel slips just a little bit, and I'm honestly not sure if that's supposed to happen at all. I took a bunch of photos and lumped them into an album, so if you guys could take a look at them and tell me what you think, I would really appreciate it.

The photos with the pen are for indicating how much my foot moves when I lift up my heel to take a step: The bottom of the pen points to where the top of the shoe ends when I'm not stepping.

Are these too big, or am I freaking out and being paranoid? Remember, the ball of my foot fits perfectly on both feet.

Cheers.

Edit: I rolled up my jeans to get clearer photos; I have no intention of going full pilgrim with the buckles and high pants.

Those are beautiful! I had the same issue with my first pair but I wore them for close to 8 hours for the first time and the sole started to break in. Now i feel comfortable and I dont have much slippage.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a narrow heel and low instep

AE 5 last - US 8.5
AS 87 last - UK 7.5

Alcudia ????

bullswin

Reaction score

I have a narrow heel and low instep

AE 5 last - US 8.5
AS 87 last - UK 7.5

Alcudia ????
Definitely 7.5. I'm a 7.5 in the AE 5 last -- and I also have a narrow heel and low instep -- and a size 6.5 Alcudia is far and away the best fitting last/shoe I've ever worn. You're going to love it.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cheers.

I'm gonna say paranoid. Likely going down a half will be too small. If it bothers you find a thin insert to help full it out.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Definitely 7.5.
I'm a 7.5 in the AE 5 last -- and I also have a narrow heel and low instep -- and a size 6.5 Alcudia is far and away the best fitting last/shoe I've ever worn. You're going to love it.

They only have a 7 and 8 in the shoe I want on the webstore
ffffuuuu.gif

I can't decide if it's worth the risk to get the 7.

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate sizing threads, but this is really useful. Thanks Spoo for starting this and to everyone else for posting their info.

FWIW I'm a U.S. 10.5D TTS, and a full size down (9.5 UK/Carmina) has worked for me in every last.

(For Alden people: Yes that means I wear a 10D Barrie and Trubalance.)

bullswin

Reaction score

Quote:
They only have a 7 and 8 in the shoe I want on the webstore
ffffuuuu.gif

I can't decide if it's worth the risk to get the 7.
You could go the MTO route. It'll cost about $100 more, but at least you can pick the exact model and leather/color that you want. Also -- I think you can order almost any model on the Alcudia last. For example, if you look through the 15+ models offered on the Simpson last (on the regular site, not the web store), any of those can be ordered on the Alcudia.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I hate sizing threads, but this is really useful. Thanks Spoo for starting this and to everyone else for posting their info.

FWIW I'm a U.S. 10.5D TTS, and a full size down (9.5 UK/Carmina) has worked for me in every last.

(For Alden people: Yes that means I wear a 10D Barrie and Trubalance.)

:fistbump:

thanks. just emailed Betty wit mah info

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads