1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Carmina Sizing Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Mar 5, 2012.

1. lexmann

lexmann Senior member

Just got a reply from Carmina Paris - Forest and Queen have the same length.

2. Knowledge is King

Knowledge is King Senior member

Wide forefoot + high instep + narrow heel = which Carmina lasts?
    I'm thinking Inca, rain and soller are a starting point because they are listed as the wider lasts but it's hard to find info about instep & heel fit.

3. bullswin

bullswin Senior member

I've found the Alcudia and Forest to be very snug and narrow in the lacing area. The Robert definitely has more room in the lacing area, so that might be a decent option for you.

Of those three, Alcudia is narrowest in the heel, while the Forest and Robert could probably be described as having a medium width heel.

4. bmac11c

bmac11c Senior member

Considering the Simpson last is more on the narrow side, would it be advisable to go up half a size to accommodate having a regular width foot?

Bmac

5. LEVOOSH

LEVOOSH Senior member

I would appreciate a recomednation re lasts.

I am a 10D Alden barrie last. It is a wonderful fit, if not a little tight across the vamp at the end of the day.

I have a medium width forefoot and a narrow heel. I also have quite a high instep.

Definitley think the simpson willl be too narrow. What do you all suggest?

EDIT: Whoops just saw KIK's post above - seems to be we have the same question. Appreciate any different responses or maybe KIK and I will share info

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  6. Slammo

Slammo Well-Known Member

I have the same foot shape but replace high instep with low instep. I emailed Carmina about it early last week and I'm still awaiting a response - I'll be sure to post it when it comes in. I'm also probably going to be trying on some Carminas at Epaulet this week [​IMG]so I'll provide feedback afterwards.

7. Knowledge is King

Knowledge is King Senior member

Levoosh, I must have narrower heels than you -- the Barrie last has one of the widest heels I've encountered. For me the snug/high heel shape of the Modified last is the best I've found.

8. BCN Citizen

BCN Citizen Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For general information I can tell you that my shoe size for Carmina's Rain is 10. I also use a 10 in C&J's Bradford and other C&J and Alfred Sargent. All of them in regular fitting

About Florsheim or Alden, and also AE, I usually pick up a 10,5 unless their fit my feet a little tight. I imagine my "ideal" size would be 10,75.

It`s said that a picture is worth a thousand words, so...

9. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

the carmina fits you much better...

10. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For general information I can tell you that my shoe size for Carmina's Rain is 10. I also use a 10 in C&J's Bradford and other C&J and Alfred Sargent. All of them in regular fitting

[/quote]

the rain last looks much sleeker than CJ. What last is the CJ shoes on?

11. BCN Citizen

BCN Citizen Member

Both are shell cordovan. Carmina's are brand new. C&J are around 3 years old and I haven't given any kind of polish, just a poor brushing from time to time.

C&J are a Bradford style, so their last is 341 in E fitting.

12. diglett

diglett Senior member

I just picked up double monks on the Inca last, but I'm unsure of the sizing, seeing as this is my first pair of really "nice" shoes. I'm a 10D in Allen Edmonds, so I picked up a 9UK from Carmina.

The ball of my foot fits really nice and snug (seriously, perfect), but I'm getting the feeling that they're a tiny bit too big on the heels, especially on the right shoe. When I pick up my foot, my heel slips just a little bit, and I'm honestly not sure if that's supposed to happen at all. I took a bunch of photos and lumped them into an album, so if you guys could take a look at them and tell me what you think, I would really appreciate it.

The photos with the pen are for indicating how much my foot moves when I lift up my heel to take a step: The bottom of the pen points to where the top of the shoe ends when I'm not stepping.

Are these too big, or am I freaking out and being paranoid? Remember, the ball of my foot fits perfectly on both feet.

Cheers.

http://imgur.com/a/kRJUM

Edit: I rolled up my jeans to get clearer photos; I have no intention of going full pilgrim with the buckles and high pants.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  13. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

Those are beautiful! I had the same issue with my first pair but I wore them for close to 8 hours for the first time and the sole started to break in. Now i feel comfortable and I dont have much slippage.

14. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I have a narrow heel and low instep

AE 5 last - US 8.5
    AS 87 last - UK 7.5

Alcudia ????

15. bullswin

bullswin Senior member

Definitely 7.5. I'm a 7.5 in the AE 5 last -- and I also have a narrow heel and low instep -- and a size 6.5 Alcudia is far and away the best fitting last/shoe I've ever worn. You're going to love it.

16. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

I'm gonna say paranoid. Likely going down a half will be too small. If it bothers you find a thin insert to help full it out.

17. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

They only have a 7 and 8 in the shoe I want on the webstore [​IMG]
    I can't decide if it's worth the risk to get the 7.

18. applky

applky Senior member

I hate sizing threads, but this is really useful. Thanks Spoo for starting this and to everyone else for posting their info.

FWIW I'm a U.S. 10.5D TTS, and a full size down (9.5 UK/Carmina) has worked for me in every last.

(For Alden people: Yes that means I wear a 10D Barrie and Trubalance.)

19. bullswin

bullswin Senior member

You could go the MTO route. It'll cost about $100 more, but at least you can pick the exact model and leather/color that you want. Also -- I think you can order almost any model on the Alcudia last. For example, if you look through the 15+ models offered on the Simpson last (on the regular site, not the web store), any of those can be ordered on the Alcudia.

20. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

:fistbump:

thanks. just emailed Betty wit mah info