• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

bbconair

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
trying to DIY my tees / jeans. any recommended shears? most concerned with having a very clean cut - looking to do raw hem or unfinished hem, so a clean cut would be required.

NGOStudio

Reaction score
trying to DIY my tees / jeans. any recommended shears? most concerned with having a very clean cut - looking to do raw hem or unfinished hem, so a clean cut would be required.

Try eletric shears/scissors, or a leather cutter. These might help to achieve sharp cut.

tecevo

Reaction score
Thick YKK Excella zips are super nice.

Wonderful zips. Where can you buy them please?

NGOStudio

Reaction score
Wonderful zips. Where can you buy them please?

Cheapest is Alibaba. They look nice and still won't break. There are also YKK and RiRi. I usually purchase bulk RiRi for work and artisan friends so if you want to jump in, pm me.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Buy fabric scissors, if they are designed for fabric, they will leave a wonderful clean cut. I'm a big of KAI, but there are many other fine brands

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ime, your clean cuts will not stay that way, at least for denim. it will fray. with that said, some nice scissors from your local hobby store will change your perception of scissors forever. I own two pairs of Fiskars and I'd buy more.

bbconair

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks all. i will take a look at the above suggestions.

also - i'm trying to do some raw hems on tees. how can i ensure that the raw hems roll outwards and not inwards? or is that random / dependent upon how the tee was sewn?

emptym

Reaction score
Inspired by you two (below, although not as awesome as a hidden pocket), I've started to repair some jeans. Usually I'd sew a spiderweb pattern, but decided to go with the crosses. Just starting out:
IMG_2994.jpg

So I have been working on completely rebuilding this pair of jeans for quite some time now, and I thought some of you might enjoy seeing some pictures. Not done yet, but well on the way. @IRKSM

Nothing done by machine, all single needle stitched.

What I started with:

The denim on the rear, and on the knees were both paper thin, stretched out and torn. These jeans had been repaired a number of times previously.

Repairs thus far:

Darn/Reweave/Reinforce button hole

Repairs to the Rear:

I have some WIP pics for the pocket repair as well, but I cant find them atm.

Knee repair:

Added a hidden pocket to those patchwork jeans I always post
vvYXPkB.jpg

iPMveyc.jpg

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_9112.jpg

IMG_9114.jpg

IMG_9113.jpg

Finally got around to painting something inspired by the early Margiela denim jackets. This Cloak jacket used to be my favorite 5 years ago, I wore it with pjs and out to dinner. Sadly my Cloak Safari Jacket was destroyed by a dry cleaner who turned it a splotchy greenish blue.

I used white acrylic paint and a wide brush; aside from that I tried my best with painters tape to cover the hardware and wound up up with above.

So far im pleased with the results, right after drying it feels like wearing a new leather jacket. Hopefully the Safari Jacket will break in as nicely as it looks now and get a second life.

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inspirations for my DIY "dancing shirt" that I'll be wearing for Lollapalooza

image.jpg

Jolie Laide

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads