• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EFF6893D-2656-4515-83EC-0D5492B0FCA3.jpeg
I recently saw Bohemian Rhapsody in the theaters so I added a little hint of Freddie Mercury in this DIY piece

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stripped down this supercheap leather coat I got a while ago and turned it into a cropped jacket instead
819f920ca184b46c60e3179d6ca39cd9.jpg

and then combined that cut off bottom piece of leather with this other old DIY from a while ago
1f6ab37bd91b0e7f8b2143f2674c940f.jpg

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So for my next DIY pieces, I’m going to do an inspired by or a spoof of Demna Gvasalia’s Balenciaga. It’s gonna be called “Balenshakalaka”
This music video that accompanies this post has nothing to do with Balenshakalaka. I just feel like posting it. This is gonna be so cheesy but oh so good

or should I do Demna’s Vetements or “Vetemenghs” ? we shall see

Last edited:

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried my hand at leather again. Failed miserably. I attempted to make a folio for regular 8.5x11" paper, and thought I accounted for the stitching, but no dice - too tight. I guess I'll just use it for notebooks or a small ipad now.

Also, can't figure out how to make a consistent skiv or a nice edge kote. Also, I used Saphir reno to finish it but forgot that it darkens the leather on veg tan :facepalm:

Leather is hard.

20181127_142218.jpg
20181127_141724.jpg

Last edited:

mactire

Reaction score
Anyone have sources for Japanese/US chambray or Oxford cotton shirtings?

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inspiration: “Let there be Light”
Musical Inspiration: Maggie Rogers

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ED454714-50BE-4163-902D-5D16B3FC16F1.jpeg

So my previous diy piece didn’t come to fruition for lack of inspiration but I did a Balenshakalaka shirt part deux

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried my hand at leather again. Failed miserably. I attempted to make a folio for regular 8.5x11" paper, and thought I accounted for the stitching, but no dice - too tight. I guess I'll just use it for notebooks or a small ipad now.

Also, can't figure out how to make a consistent skiv or a nice edge kote. Also, I used Saphir reno to finish it but forgot that it darkens the leather on veg tan :facepalm:

Leather is hard.

View attachment 1079333 View attachment 1079330

@troika next time you make something try this method on your edges:

Buy a bar of glycerin soap, a small tin of saddle soap and a small piece of canvas. All 3 should be easy to find and less than 15$

After you stitch your edges, sand them well with 500 or higher grit sand paper. Not much pressure is needed just repeat with higher grits until smooth.

Wet the edges of some scrap leather and work the glycerin soap over the wet scrap edges until you form a channel in the bar of soap. This will work like a guide on the edges to keep you on track.

Wet the edges of your piece well and slick the hell out them them with the glycerin soap, they will look shiny and smooth. You need the leather to remain wet, and put some pressure on it.

Rub some of the saddle soap onto your canvas the polish the edges with the soap and canvas and allow to dry. Again pressure is key.

Your done if you leave them un-dyed. This can and should be a little messy, so your leather may be spotty. Just submerge the entire piece or completely soak in water to get rid of any spotting.

From there you can add any alcohol based stain/dye which will penetrate the edge, and all you need is a top coat like a matte or gloss acrylic finish to keep the dye from crocking and your done.

Here are some examples that have been dyed and sealed with acrylic:
IMG_6155.jpg
IMG_5551.jpg
IMG_5550.jpg

DL-

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads