• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gr789

Reaction score
A little dot of DEET got onto my brown chromexcel.

After cleaning with water, then saphir renovateur, then hit it with some polish, there is improvement but still noticeable discoloration!

Man, that DEET is something else! Luckily these are not the most elegant of boots so some "character" is ok.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CXL isn't a super resilient material. Someone got some cooking fat on their CXL shoes and it made a huge mess. CXL is spongy stuff.

J One

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise
I'm 11D on AE 5 last, and Alden's Grant last was a bit too narrow for me in the toe box...I may have been able to make it work and hope they break in but didn't want to risk it with a shell purchase.

I am a borderline 11 E on the 5 last and tried on both the 11D and 11 E on the Grant last, the 11 D was too tight across the width and went up to an 11 E. Hope that helps a little.

Thanks for the advise

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
A little dot of DEET got onto my brown chromexcel.

After cleaning with water, then saphir renovateur, then hit it with some polish, there is improvement but still noticeable discoloration!

Man, that DEET is something else! Luckily these are not the most elegant of boots so some "character" is ok.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
When did this happen? How long has it been? I wouldn't be surprised at all if it faded away after a week or two, maybe three weeks at the most. Nothing to worry about most likely.

gr789

Reaction score

When did this happen? How long has it been? I wouldn't be surprised at all if it faded away after a week or two, maybe three weeks at the most. Nothing to worry about most likely.

DEET is 24 hours old.
I hope it does fade away!

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
DEET is 24 hours old.
I spilled some butter on my shoes while making a quick breakfast before heading out for the day. Didn't Notice it until about 10 minutes later when I got in my car. I wiped it off and it left a deep dark smudge on the toe of my shoe. When I got home I tried polish and whatnot and it did absolutely nothing to cover it up. I put it in the shoe bag and took it out a week later, faded, but still obviously there. A week after that I checked and it was still slightly visible. The following week I checked and I couldn't even tell which shoe it was that had the spot.

Now, these were calf shoes so it could be different, but my gut says that this little spot of deet will disappear soon.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DEET is 24 hours old.

That spot should be virtually unnoticeable from standing height to everyone (except you). I bet it continues to disappear. It will become less tragic as you wear the shoes more, too.

I accidentally spilled 1 drop of salad dressing right on the vamp of brand new natty shell chukkas. Brand new like "right out of the box" new. I was sick. Worked at trying to get it off for hours. It was greatly diminished, but the spot is still there today. 6 months later, it's just character on the shoes. Although, I am more careful now with my new shoes. Live and learn! And good luck!

gsgleason

Reaction score
DEET is 24 hours old.

That spot should be virtually unnoticeable from standing height to everyone (except you). I bet it continues to disappear. It will become less tragic as you wear the shoes more, too.

I accidentally spilled 1 drop of salad dressing right on the vamp of brand new natty shell chukkas. Brand new like "right out of the box" new. I was sick. Worked at trying to get it off for hours. It was greatly diminished, but the spot is still there today. 6 months later, it's just character on the shoes. Although, I am more careful now with my new shoes. Live and learn! And good luck!

Clearly the solution is to slather the same dressing all over the rest of the shoe.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

natty SHELL not CXL, which would be even tastier... Just curious, what kind of dressing was it? What kind of dressing would taste best on shell cordovan? Blue Cheese?

It was some vinaigrette, but I think French would have been more colorful and interesting.

BenLeaman

Reaction score

When your trip gets extended by 2 days you gotta suck it up, wear your trousers over again and buy new shoes....

In here at TSM and these 986 are just smiling at me.

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of dark color 8 and eBay transactions, I picked these up in another flawless transaction (as most of mine are).

This is one of the 3 style that Alden of Madison carries that I really like, and surprisingly have never seen posted on SF. They also have an NST/loafer on Aberdeen and a Fullstrap loafer on Grant. I've been thinking about the monk strap for a while but didn't know how I would feel about the brass on shoes after having them for a while. When I saw them on the bay at a great price I almost couldn't believe it. Fortunately they were buy-it-now with an offer option so I didn't have to get in a bidding war. There is virtually no wear on the soles and other than some wrinkling, these shoes are immaculate. Very pleased.

coinopcollector

Reaction score
I called Alden of DC on a whim yesterday and asked if they had any long wings in cigar size 10 1/2 D. To my surprise they did, and here they are on my feet today. This is a very deep dark version of a cigar shell Cordovan and I am not upset with that in anyway. The color is very rich and even. I also like the way the creases are setting in over each vamp

Last edited:

TO Tie Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When your trip gets extended by 2 days you gotta suck it up, wear your trousers over again and buy new shoes....

In here at TSM and these 986 are just smiling at me.
[/spoiler]

We were just talking about those a few days ago! Nice kop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads