• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'd say its between the 975, 990 and 563. My vote would probably be the 990 for the quintessential Alden model. All are good answers.

If I could own just one, it would be the 990 going away.

I agree all are excellent answers but I would go with 563

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me the number to Alden DC or provide me with Kathy's email address? I tried calling the only number I could find for Alden DC and it looks like the number is no longer in service. Thanks!

the number I last called (admittedly awhile ago) was 202-347-2308

irishcafe

Reaction score

I am huge LWB fan.  I think I have about 10 pairs in suede, calf, and shell.  I think the 975 is the quintessential Alden shoe.  Others may disagree, but that is my opinion. Also, the shortwing from AoC is on the commando sole.  If I could only have one, I would want the traditional double leather sole.  Again, this is just MHO.

All the best to ya... you really can't go wrong either way.

I'll think about it. But you are definitely right that  the 975 is the quintessential Alden shoe. Maybe I'll buy the 975 and shoot for the RL Marlow shortwing for mid-year private sale.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say its between the 975, 990 and 563. My vote would probably be the 990 for the quintessential Alden model. All are good answers.

Hard to argue against the 563 as it was created by Alden in the 1940s. Seven, do you still own the 990? I know you've posted numerous times in the past that you prefer the Alden for BB version of the PTB. I actually prefer the BB version also.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll think about it. But you are definitely right that the 975 is the quintessential Alden shoe. Maybe I'll buy the 975 and shoot for the RL Marlow shortwing for mid-year private sale.
Keep in mind that the Marlow was not included in RL's big sale this past December.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hard to argue against the 563 as it was created by Alden in the 1940s.  Seven, do you still own the 990? I know you've posted numerous times in the past that you prefer the Alden for BB version of the PTB.  I actually prefer the BB version also. 

I own the 990 and the BB version. I really like them both. The BB version is dressier. Since the discussion was regarding quintessential models, it wouldn't have been right for me to mention a model (BB) based off another model (990). :D

There are very few Alden models where color 8 would not be my first choice. However, the LWB is one of them (cigar). For the PTB and tassel, color 8 is easily my first choice.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2rpdxj8.jpg

ddj9fo.jpg

cigar straight tip
argyles otc
Great stuff. One of Alden's best models. Cigar puts them into the stratosphere.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own the 990 and the BB version. I really like them both. The BB version is dressier. Since the discussion was regarding quintessential models, it wouldn't have been right for me to mention a model (BB) based off another model (990).
biggrin.gif

There are very few Alden models where color 8 would not be my first choice. However, the LWB is one of them (cigar). For the PTB and tassel, color 8 is easily my first choice.
Interesting argument. I guess if I agree with this assertion it would render my 975-quintessential argument void??
patch[1].gif

Maybe not...

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own the 990 and the BB version. I really like them both. The BB version is dressier. Since the discussion was regarding quintessential models, it wouldn't have been right for me to mention a model (BB) based off another model (990). :D

Interesting argument.  I guess if I agree with this assertion it would render my 975-quintessential argument void?? 
patch%5B1%5D.gif

Maybe not...

My comments regarding the LWB were given more by way of explanation for why, if I could only choose one, it would be the 990 over the 975 and 563. As for which model is the quintessential model, a good argument can be made for all three, with, perhaps, the preponderance of the evidence (I couldn't resist) weighing in favor of the 563 inasmuch as it - the tassel loafer - was invented by Alden. The matter has resulted in a hung jury. Carry on. :fistbump:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics