• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First trip out with my new Cigar LHS. Clors a bit off pants are rust.
Love this combo!
DC Grant Ciigar Cap's
Classic! Great make up.
Wearing mine today too...
Again!

aldenwear

Reaction score
A lot of experienced Alden owners here and I thought this would be an appropriate place to ask my question. I'm interested in purchasing a pair of suede Alden's, maybe boots or a chukka or a PTB, still undecided... any thoughts or reviews on the material and comfort level? how about upkeep over time? Any model that stands out best in suede?

I already own a pair of cigar shell captoe boots and black calfskin NST's and I want to diversify a bit. Would appreciate any feedback.

Alden suede quality is first rate and their suede shoes look great.

What model to get depends on your use. The chukkas and PTB suedes are great for casual wear -- jeans, cords, chinos, etc. My favorite Alden suede model is the chocolate suede NST. I know you have the black calf NST - a wonderful shoe - and want to diversify. But if you wear sport coats and slacks, nothing looks better with darker grey pants, or kakhi or olive-colored dress pants than the chocolate suede NSTs. They always get compliments.

Leathersoul now has navy suede and medium brown suede NST's that are distinctive and great-looking for more casual wear up to business casual.

And another great suede shoe that is really for business casual wear is a snuff suede semi-brogue. The snuff suede is very versatile, and the design is tremendously elegant and great-looking. The Shoe Mart has this shoe, and Ben Silver has it in snuff suede and tan suede.

The truth of the matter is you need two suede shoes: say a chukka for casual wear and then the NST or semi-brogue for more dressy occasions.

Good luck.

brooklyn

Reaction score

I can understand your impatience.  I have a pair that I haven't had a chance to wear yet just because I haven't had a chance to break them in properly.  My point being, when we are busy, it is hard to find time to employ the mac-break in.  When we have some free time, we often have other things that we'd rather do than pace around on carpet to break in new shoes.

Also, FWIW, when I break shoes in properly, the toe really doesn't seem to wear any faster than the rest of the sole, (minus the back of the heel.)  At least not that I can notice.  In other words, I noticed that taps don't seem to be necessary if the method is thoroughly employed.

If you like to put taps on anyway, then I won't try to change your position on the matter.

I appreciate the feedback. Gives me a reason to buy another pair to experiment :D

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree! However...I've been working on a AE/Alden apprentice of sorts. He finally gets it. His Cole Haans have rubber soles and he said to me...."so these are basically like athletic shoes with a dressy upper...and you can't get athletic shoes resoled!" Ahhh...from the mouths of babes lol

People at my work already know I'm nuts...but if they knew more about the Alden items I have a feeling their jaw would drop.

Haha, I had something like this at my last job...he was slowly learning about all the basics. But everyone at my new job is older than me and none of them are looking to change (i.e. improve) their style at all.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am getting conflicting advice about alden shoe trees for shell indy size 8D

Aldenshop recommended small and j Gilbert think medium would be more appropriate.

Any other 8D indy boot owners around?
I realise that 8D is right on the divide of small and Medium - I guess the concern is stretching vs not enough tension.

Perhaps overthinking, just got the ""they have arrived" email from Yenni. Have to say throughout the process of this preorder - my maiden Alden purchase - the service from Yenni has been first class.

I wear 9 and 9.5. I use only Large Alden trees, even though Medium is recommended. I used to use Medium.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Good morning all. Two pics of the #4 captoe today. One in minimal light, one in window-fed light.
That is quite a shade, Sazon.

Now for my 'run of the mill' captoes today...
rotflmao.gif

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Will do!  BTW, do you have an office assistant to take the pics for you?  Haha

LOL. As awesome as that would be.... I just rest my iphone on the floor and the lens ends up at the perfect height. It takes me about 2 or 3 times to get it framed correctly.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Francks, these are on the Grant last.

I don't know first hand, but I heard that Barrie boots fit a bit sugger than Barrie shoes.

luc13

Reaction score
my search experience to Alden cordovan boots in Berlin yesterday was a huge flop!

I was in 5 shops.
In 2 they had cordovan boots, but unfortunately the 12 was to short and in the 13, I slipped slightly from front to back.
A 12.5 is nowhere to be found.
One was the Naval Boot on the Barrie Last and than i tried a Indy Boot but there was the same Problems.

My hope was to find the right size for Alden ( i have a UK 12 in Edward Green und Crockett&Jones) AND a Cordovan Boot but no Boot and i dont really know my size.

I found a Tanker Cordovan in 12.5 online but there is no Lastg info. So i dont know if i need the 12.5 or the 13 because it maybe is a true size Last.

So tomorow the search will be continue.

Sorry for my bad english

All the Best

Gregor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads