• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gcbrown3

Reaction score
Bummer. I got a call about a month ago that they got a Whiskey LWB in my size and immediately ordered it. It arrived with a long deep scratch in the vamp. Cordovan is a tough material and if it's not treated delicately, it's get roughed up. I don't know if it's Alden's QC or how they were shipped, but I do know that it's not the stores fault. I think that they would send them back of they could. AoC is the biggest pain ********** in the World, but you do have to hand it to him for doing his own quality control. He probably eats a lot of money doing it.

rnyc1

Reaction score

Cigar day in the park

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RE: Alden quality control (or lack thereof) - you ain't kidding!

I went to Alden SF on my lunch break today and took a close look at 3 pairs of LWBs, every one had some form of small defect or another! 

-One pair had a deep hammer tap imprint on the sole edge (that would only be able to be remedied when you have them resoled).

-One pair had pretty bad Color 8 uneven dye issues. Quite noticeable in indoor lighting and would be very noticeable out in the sun. 

-One pair had some stitch holes right along a stitch seam where it looked like they messed up and then went back and re-sewed. 

IMO, all three pairs should have been rejected as seconds, not first run quality. 

The guys at the store said that one one pair is usually never absolutely perfect yet there can be varying degrees of imperfections. They also do not allow you to pick one shoe from one box and swap it with another box. This is likely because then they would end up with one pair where each shoe had some defect. From what I saw, usually only one shoe had some form of defect.

They were quite nice about it, had no problems letting me examine all of the pairs in my size they had in stock, and said on any of them I could get a refund or exchange if I decided I couldn't live it with after I got them home (as long as they were not worn).

On the one hand, when paying so much for a new pair of shoes, you want them to be virtually perfect. On the other hand, it is true that once you wear them for a few months, usually you start  not really caring  the about imperfections any more. 

Really doesn't speak well for American manufacturing especially at this price point. I wonder if I just pay less attention when I am spending less.

Personally, doesn't matter how much time has passed I will still care about the imperfections.

Last edited:

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really doesn't speak well for American manufacturing especially at this price point. I wonder if I just pay less attention when I am spending less.

Personally, doesn't matter how much time has passed I will still care about the imperfections.

I think everyone who has dealt with alden has experienced QC issues at some point. I agree the fact that it has become accepted and almost acceptable is discouraging. However I don't think all American manufacturing is as shotty. Ultimately Alden knows the masses will continue to buy their shoes, so why would they relegate any irregulars to seconds status? This is why it is important to choose the retailers you do business with wisely. Some like AOC have a sterling reputation for conducting their own QC to protect consumers.

jereth

Reaction score
Finaly bit the bullet and orderd my first cordovan boots (J Crew Cap Toe). I get home today and see the UPS box on the steps..siked! Open them up, not only are they the wrong size (11.5 not 11) but there color 8 gunboats w/crepe sole! These things happen, understood, and really no big deal accept I was hoping to atleast nail down my barrie size. Gues I will be waiting until August, sizing aside, these are not for me. I can easily put them on without the aid of a shoe horn. If jam my foot to the front to where its snug I cannot quite fit a finger behind the heal on eather shoe. Should I half size down or full size. For reference I also received some 11D Clarks Jinx in blue nutbuck today and they fit perfect, snug but not tight. Any advise would be appreciated.

Eleganza

Reaction score
Disagree. In the words of the great Billy Crystal, "It's not how you feel; it's how you look. And you, dahling, look MAHVELOUS!"
worship.gif
I guess you cats in here are ********** with your Alden shoes on, pulling a Spike Lee in "She's Gotta Have It".
rotflmao.gif

terradilavoro

Reaction score

Yeah. I looked at that belt and when I saw they still had my size I grabbed it. Not just #4, but ONE PIECE of shell!! For those who have not seen it and want to know how, they are from the full right and left shell set that has not been separated. The quality of the bridge between the two shells is good enough in rare cases to make a full length belt. This was the first I had heard of such a thing and could not pass it up. Already have #8 and cigar Alden shell belts, so this will complement nicely.

Mates, may i tease you with my new MTO Shell Cordovan No. 4 Belt made by SKYLAR
No one-piece of course, but hand-stitched (Sattlerstich) and very nice art of "Rembordée" Edges.
Matchy matchy to my No. 4/black Shell Saddles from J. Gilbert.

cheerio
Joachim

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello teddy lovely belt and will go nicely with your unlined ptbs. Would you provide Alden DC email? I can't seem to find their address

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unless they are your own......

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think everyone who has dealt with alden has experienced QC issues at some point. I agree the fact that it has become accepted and almost acceptable is discouraging. However I don't think all American manufacturing is as shotty. Ultimately Alden knows the masses will continue to buy their shoes, so why would they relegate any irregulars to seconds status? This is why it is important to choose the retailers you do business with wisely. Some like AOC have a sterling reputation for conducting their own QC to protect consumers.

Here's one example of a "first" that I find hard to believe anyone would purchase as a first. I received the below ravello PTBs from Alden DC. This is a ****** iPhone 3 picture in low indoor light. Take my word that the line was significantly more pronounced in person (I didn't take the time to take a great picture because I wasn't exactly thrilled), and there was an identical line on the other side of the same shoe. I didn't bother putting them on my feet, immediately shipped them back, and was out $25 total in shipping. Either no one looked at this shoe at the factory or retailer, or they really do think someone will buy them.

Last edited:

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think everyone who has dealt with alden has experienced QC issues...This is why it is important to choose the retailers you do business with wisely. Some like AOC have a sterling reputation for conducting their own QC to protect consumers.
I definitely echo this sentiment having had to exchange some shoes for obvious construction defects. I've had great luck in dealing personally with Kathy from Alden DC. I order over the phone and she gets the shoes and inspects them as we speak. Can't ask for much better service.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's one example of a "first" that I find hard to believe anyone would purchase as a first. I received the below ravello PTBs from Alden DC. This is a ****** iPhone 3 picture in low indoor light. Take my word that
the line was significantly more pronounced in person (I didn't take the time to take a great picture because I wasn't exactly thrilled), and there was an identical line on the other side of the same shoe. I didn't bother putting them on my feet, immediately shipped them back, and was out

$25 total in shipping. Either no one looked at this shoe at the factory or retailer, or they really do think someone will buy them.

I'm sorry for your loss papa, what's even worse is that they will be resold and someone else will likely share your experience at least until someone decides to keep them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics