***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marshall W

Marshall W Active Member

Following up with an old post about my waxed calf LWBs cracking.

I used Meltonian leather balm ($7.31 shipped) when I noticed the cracks, but it didn't seem to do much. I purchased some Saphir Renovateur ($22.00 shipped) to see if it would do any better. It didn't. The leather did not seem any more moisturized, nor did the visibility of the cracks lessen. Not sure I get the hype for $22 leather balm. Maybe it will work wonders on my shell, but I don't think I would purchase Reno again.

I ordered some Meltonian shoe cream ($4.95 shipped), in the color Cognac, which seemed to do the trick. I used this color cream on a few other little nicks and scuffs, and I think the cognac matches very well.

Post (2) Reno applications:
    [​IMG]

Meltonian Shoe Cream, Cognac:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I may be a n00b but I thought that one of the reasons that lighter shades of shell were less common was because very few shells have so few flaws that they can be used for this. I think that is what makes them desirable and also I think the demand may contribute to some shells that may or may not have been used in the past to be used for these shells to be used. I have nothing to back it up and I would like to think I am a better person than to anonymously attack someone over the internet.

3. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

TBH, I haven't worn them much yet because of the weather. I suspect I will wear these with seersucker, light grays, navy, etc... suits, light-weight wool, chinos, and maybe even linen (if I ever get some). Haven't decided if denim will be in the mix. I don't wear denim that often so probably not.

I wasn't 100% sold on them when I got them, but I discovered very quickly that the fit and comfort level was great, I'm happy as can be with them. I'm even contemplating picking up a very lightly used pair of 974s if the price is right.

All the best...

4. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Meltonian shoe cream has leather dye in it and will cover up a lot of problems. Saphir Renovateur has no leather dye. They are two different shoe care products.

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

If you want perfect ravello or whiskey cordovan or color 8 shoes, feel free to pay $1,600+ for custom made Edward Greens. I know Carmina/Vass/etc appear to be making quality shoes but it is at a much lower volume. At the end of the day Alden is a company with bunch of men and women making too many shoes (in order to fill exploding demand) with a lot of processes that are done or aided by hand. Not many skilled shoemakers are out there in the US to scale up the business. It is what it is. Inspect each pair before you wear

6. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I also do not think that Alden wants to expand. Expansion then decreased demand for quality US made footwear is what killed almost all of Alden's competitors. I believe they see a time where Alden’s may not be as fashionable and would like to survive that time as best they can.

7. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I don't claim to know if a defect is natural or human-created, which is why I used the word "suggests." Also, I don't think it matters if it's natural or not with respect to choosing if you should keep a given pair.

Not sure what "special flower" means. Finally, are you saying I should move on to other brands because I'm too picky, or because Aldens are plagued by such imperfections?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  8. ReppTiePrepster

9. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Can't really tell from your post if you are trying to insult me or what you are saying. Sorry if pointing out that someone who never contributes anything positive in this thread and continually just talks about how much better AE is than Alden offends you and therefor makes you a better person than me

10. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Where did you get 'em?

11. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I happen to disagree with you. Alden was already selling every pair if shoes that can make yet they chose to build a relationship with J Crew. I see this as a conscious move by Alden to expand their customer base and expand

12. ReppTiePrepster

+1

13. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

So much for that whole not insulting people on the Internet thing...

14. ReppTiePrepster

15. ReppTiePrepster

Absolutely! Wear in great health...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.