• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folks,

I would like an Alden shell makeup like this:

from: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...to-the-options-some-people-have-no-standards/

Anyone know of one?

The above pic is a past Allen Edmonds custom makeup. I actually inquired with AE about getting it and they said I could only order a custom makeup in calf, not shell. You can do that on their website. I'd much prefer this in an Alden LWB or SWB and in shell.

Last edited:

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am not even sure that is true. But regardless there could be man made reasons for the lines not caused by Horween or Alden. From my understanding the majority of these horses are work horses so maybe something inherent in that, or possibly at the point of slaughter. There are so many variables that I have a hard time standing by when someone makes accusations based on assumptions.

I'm not sure either, which is why I said I was speculating.

I also said that it doesn't matter if an imperfection is man made or "natural" when evaluating a shoe, and the point of my posts were to point out that some "firsts" are very clearly too imperfect to be sold as firsts.

Last edited:

CalceoAdamator

Reaction score

Believe me I've wanted to find AE shoes that suit my feet well.  (Aldens have killed my clothing budget.) I have not been able to find a single AE shoe that meets the comfort, fit, and construction that Alden has.  The 5 last (Fifth Avenue, Park Av, and strands) is pretty nice and I could go with it, but the shoe is not even close in comfort (IMHO).  I am a huge fan of the LWB, and the McNeil is quite possibly the most impossible shoe to size for me.  It is incredibly uncomfortable.  I thought the Player in walnut might be a nice short wing blucher alternative, but they're even more difficult to find a comfortable pair.

While AE may have great CS, better QC,  and they'll stand behind their shoes better, I have decided that buying an uncomfortable AE shoe is not worth it. I would rather spend a little more and know that I will be pleased.  I have 12 pairs of Aldens (11 of which were bought BNIB) and I do not have any that I would consider flawed to the extent of a seconds declaration, but I may be a little more forgiving than Mediahound (no offense intended my friend).

Sorry for my AE rant.  I know there are many here who enjoy both, just not me.

I couldn't agree with you more... I've experienced the same issues... I have one pair of AE, patriot shell loafer, but not as comfortable as my LHS shells and the AE cordovan doesn't appear as "thick" as Alden's ... It's kind of flat... Just can't put my finger on it, but its just "different" and doesn't feel like the support bed you get in an Alden. Nonetheless I do admire AE and respect their commitment to QC and customer service... They really shine in those areas...

CalceoAdamator

Reaction score

Folks, I would like an Alden shell makeup like this: from: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...to-the-options-some-people-have-no-standards/ Anyone know of one? The above pic is a past Allen Edmonds custom makeup. I actually inquired with AE about getting it and they said I could only order a custom makeup in calf, not shell. You can do that on their website. I'd much prefer this in an Alden LWB or SWB and in shell.
That would be an awesome Alden makeup...

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rider stopped making cordovan shoes (or that's what he told me last time I saw him and talked to him). Too much trouble getting shell from Horween.

That is sad to hear. Ron is a great, and knowledgeable guy and his shoes are high quality.

I purchased a pair of black shell chukkas from him a number of years ago. Fantastic quality. So many people were posting how great shell was in the rain and even snow that I wore them during in the rain and even a blizzard to see how well shell would hold up. The only problem was water spotting which showed up on the shell. After over two years the water spots seem to have gone away and the shoes are still going strong. Rider had some fantastic shell makeups that I just could not afford at the time.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the AE cordovan doesn't appear as "thick" as Alden's ... It's kind of flat... Just can't put my finger on it,

It's the same shell, they get it from Horween, just like Alden does. The difference is Alden adds some special treatment and more dye on top of what they get from Horween, even for black shell. This is why it seems thicker and better quality than AE's shell.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Ebay, there was a very small tannish-colored stain by the right pinky toe of these tan suede PTBs. After applying waterproofing treatment and brushing, I can not notice it anymore without a very close inspection. They were never worn with this blemish and picked them up for $190.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ebay, there was a very small tannish-colored stain by the right pinky toe of these tan suede PTBs. After applying waterproofing treatment and brushing, I can not notice it anymore without a very close inspection. They were never worn with this blemish and picked them up for $190.
Congrats, that's a great price.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ebay, there was a very small tannish-colored stain by the right pinky toe of these tan suede PTBs.  After applying waterproofing
treatment and brushing, I can not notice it anymore without a very close inspection.  They were never worn with this blemish and picked them up for $190.

At least I know who beat me congrats sir well played.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure either, which is why I said I was speculating.

I also said that it doesn't matter if an imperfection is man made or "natural" when evaluating a shoe, and the point of my posts were to point out that some "firsts" are very clearly too imperfect to be sold as firsts.

Well you can sit back behind your screen and make broad assumptions about how other people are messing up without basing it on anything of substance, but the two pictures you posted probably contradict what you are trying to say so I will post your own pictures:

cd2d4bdb_4185a54a_DSCF0939.jpeg

9b1c8bb4_fa7ac13e_1.jpeg

It seems both of the catastrophic life events that you were forced to endure were in the inside of the shoes between the heel and the toe box. Really? REALLY? Who the eff sees that part of the shoe? Are you wearing these or taking them onto the subway and licking them?

Last edited:

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Folks, I would like an Alden shell makeup like this: from: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...to-the-options-some-people-have-no-standards/ Anyone know of one? The above pic is a past Allen Edmonds custom makeup. I actually inquired with AE about getting it and they said I could only order a custom makeup in calf, not shell. You can do that on their website. I'd much prefer this in an Alden LWB or SWB and in shell.
Tassel's Hong Kong may have done a makeup like this but I may be mistaken. I think they would be your best shot.

CalceoAdamator

Reaction score

It's the same shell, they get it from Horween,  just like Alden does. The difference is Alden adds some special treatment and more dye on top of what they get from Horween, even for black shell. This is why it seems thicker and better quality than AE's shell.

That would splain it mediahound, I knew they both sourced their stock from Horween, but this puts it into perspective... Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics