• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR Magat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I can gather, it looks like this was a 2010 run for LeatherSoul: http://leathersoul.com/2010/11/22/alden-shoes-4x4-ptb-lsw/

I wonder what the price was back then and how many were made - rarity of makeups usually drives up price too (which we all know color 2, 4 are RARE as is, especially for Alden). The market for rare shell (and yes, a lot of Asian market sellers) is definitely booming.

It's amazing to be able to sell a shoe (even cigar, whiskey, ravello) that you bought years ago and sell for no loss (even well worn) or make some profit in come cases. I might have to do the same when my kids go to college lol

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a lot of money for a red shoe.

Lol, well said. a red shoe that will eventually turn brown.  But if he can get more power to him, it is extremely rare and supply demand tips in his favor.  For my taste, I have many other purchases I would prefer to make with that sum, but to each their own.

I wish him the best. And, to be clear, I am not being critical, just making a statement of fact.

It is indeed a rare shoe. I actually think there is an outside chance he gets a bid.

Last edited:

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish him the best. And, to be clear, I am not being critical, just making a statement of fact.

It is indeed a rare shoe. I actually think there is an outside chance he gets a bid.
I read it as intended - no miscommunication, Cheers.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll take the opposite point of view. It's Alden Color #4, which Alden does not produce any longer. Also, the 4x4 shoe was produced in a small run. Unlike Color #4 boots, this is a less common style; although it may not be attractive to everyone.

I think the price level for starting bids is near where the market has been for this sort of Alden shoe. I would not buy them, but I have passed on and sold Color #4.

nikkiong

Reaction score
hi guys! I was wondering what products do u guys use to restore sole edges? I found that allen edmonds edge dressing seem to be a popular choice but I was unsure which tone is the appropriate one. For antique edges, do i go with chilli or brown edge dressing?
smile.gif

Last edited:

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From what I can gather, it looks like this was a 2010 run for LeatherSoul: http://leathersoul.com/2010/11/22/alden-shoes-4x4-ptb-lsw/

I wonder what the price was back then and how many were made - rarity of makeups usually drives up price too (which we all know color 2, 4 are RARE as is, especially for Alden).  The market for rare shell (and yes, a lot of Asian market sellers) is definitely booming. 

It's amazing to be able to sell a shoe (even cigar, whiskey, ravello) that you bought years ago and sell for no loss (even well worn) or make some profit in come cases.  I might have to do the same when my kids go to college lol

retail price was no more than any other shell back then, they were probably $600 ish. but they never really were for sale to the public, they went to LS's best customers.

still think this is largely an Alden thing. there is a #2 Carmina in B/S here sitting for like $500

Last edited:

JR Magat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
retail price was no more than any other shell back then, they were probably $600 ish. but they never really were for sale to the public, they went to LS's best customers.

still think this is largely an Alden thing. there is a #2 Carmina in B/S here sitting for like $500

Agree 100%. And yes, from the comments in the link, it looks like the shoes were pretty much already accounted for.

If i'm not mistaken, didn't someone here wear this exact makeup recently?

Also, non-Color 4 talk, I bought a pair of used 990's from eBay that arrive today, and I'll be sending them to Randy the Cobbler to convert the edging & welt to antique. I'll post pictures of the finished project or progress photos he sends

Last edited:

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fwiw,
I have red shoes from carmina. They're amazing, but do not scratch the red Alden shoe itch. They're different lasts with different aesthetics.
Similar to buying shell Leeds and then trying on 990s.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fwiw,
I have red shoes from carmina. They're amazing, but do not scratch the red Alden shoe itch. They're different lasts with different aesthetics.
Similar to buying shell Leeds and then trying on 990s.

sure, they are different but I'm not sure inferior. I guess it's just befuddling how people go so much more bonkers for rare shell from Alden than rare shell from comparable or even better makers. I recently picked up sweet whiskey shell loafers from Rancourt (high quality, American shoe maker), if they were branded "Alden" they could have sold for 2x as much.

Last edited:

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone in the States ever purchase from Unipair? They have Vtip in shell on Barrie that I'm interested in.
Yeah - He's awesome very easy to deal with and ships promptly. Feel free to PM any addtl Q's.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the link. "Buy it now" clicked! ;)

Anyone in the States ever purchase from Unipair? They have Vtip in shell on Barrie that I'm interested in.

I've never bought from Unipair but I actually did a trade with one of their employees (I have no idea how big the store is so maybe it was the owner?) and it worked out very smoothly. My biggest concern whenever I get something from an overseas seller is import fees and duties. I was hit with nothing on our end. Unipair even through in a really nice shoe brush and shoe horn and some other stuff. I wouldn't hesitate buying from them in the future.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had some fun at lunch today since I was working at home. The new LWB's:

What they are replacing: (J&M Hutchins)

I might have these refurbed with a Dainite sole as a beater pair

Side by side:

Should have stopped down a bit so the J&M is in focus, but...

(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics