• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's a good look with the speckled trousers
fing02[1].gif

TO Tie Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Whiskey Wingtip Boot was available for about an hour.

I was in a meeting from 12-1pm that day and e-mailed right at 1pm and managed to snag one of the final pairs.

The Ravello short wing was available for longer.

BenLeaman

Reaction score

There's a reason why they're seconds...
Curious as to how minor/major it is, as I'm gonna be receiving my pair tomorrow!!

I am aware there is a reason they are being sold at a discount as seconds. My response was sent in good spirit, after a few good spirits. No offense intended.

If they are like any of the seconds I have seen, whether they be mine or others, I think you'll be happy with them. Good luck.

Carson

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I was lucky enough today to pick up a pair of cigar Indy boots from fellow Alden thread poster Inn8chiro, but in order to recoup the big financial hit (not the best time for me $$), I have to sell one of my top-line boots from my modest, but well loved collection. I am honestly having a really, really hard time with this, and I am attached to all of them for a number of reasons - as you can imagine - but one of them has to go. It would be helpful if you guys could make strong pros/cons arguments about any of the below, in order to assist me with this regrettable, but unavoidable task. FYI, I work in a casual environment in the San Francisco area, so it's mostly my aesthetic pleasure. I don't wear suits.

1. NST Tanker Shell Color 8, commando sole, Trubalance

#2 - Color 8 punch cap toe, leather sole, barrie - TSM factory second

#3 Crockett & Jones Islay, of James Bond fame, brown scotch grain wing tip on dainite - yes, not Alden, but on the chopping block nonetheless...

Things I am weighing, besides the subjective pleasure I receive, are versatility, potential to replace easily, etc.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Carson

Reaction score
the NST tanker will help recoup the most value, but it's also the best in that lineup (imo) for casual wear. I'd sell the C&J islays if one of them had to be sold
That's a good assessment of the tankers...

Last edited:

rosslovethreads

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I was lucky enough today to pick up a pair of cigar Indy boots from fellow Alden thread poster Inn8chiro, but in order to recoup the big financial hit (not the best time for me $$), I have to sell one of my top-line boots from my modest, but well loved collection. I am honestly having a really, really hard time with this, and I am attached to all of them for a number of reasons - as you can imagine - but one of them has to go. It would be helpful if you guys could make strong pros/cons arguments about any of the below, in order to assist me with this regrettable, but unavoidable task. FYI, I work in a casual environment in the San Francisco area, so it's mostly my aesthetic pleasure. I don't wear suits. 1. NST Tanker Shell Color 8, commando sole, Trubalance #2 - Color 8 punch cap toe, leather sole, barrie - TSM factory second #3 Crockett & Jones Islay, of James Bond fame, brown scotch grain wing tip on dainite - yes, not Alden, but on the chopping block nonetheless... Things I am weighing, besides the subjective pleasure I receive, are versatility, potential to replace easily, etc. Thanks in advance!
The J. Crew PCT would be easily replaced. Assuming they don't phase it out. I would point out that you had to work pretty hard to snag them as seconds, though. The chances of you getting them again at that price... Not likely. I'd still sell the C&J just based on aesthetics alone. The fact that they are calf is the cherry on top. Sell Em! Also, nice to see you Carson!

Carson

Reaction score
The J. Crew PCT would be easily replaced. Assuming they don't phase it out. I would point out that you had to work pretty hard to snag them as seconds, though. The chances of you getting them again at that price... Not likely.

I'd still sell the C&J just based on aesthetics alone. The fact that they are calf is the cherry on top. Sell Em!

Also, nice to see you Carson!
Good points. That's two votes against the C&J Islays, LOL, minding that we are on the Alden thread! : )
Nice to see you too, Sir!

rosslovethreads

Reaction score

Good points. That's two votes against the C&J Islays, LOL, minding that we are on the Alden thread!  : )
Nice to see you too, Sir! 

I had considered that obvious bias. I will say, there are a number of C&J boots and shoes that I would keep over the tankers. The Islay just isn't one of them! Congrats on the recent acquisition! Love cordovan Indys.

mrfixit

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I was lucky enough today to pick up a pair of cigar Indy boots from fellow Alden thread poster Inn8chiro, but in order to recoup the big financial hit (not the best time for me $$), I have to sell one of my top-line boots from my modest, but well loved collection. I am honestly having a really, really hard time with this, and I am attached to all of them for a number of reasons - as you can imagine - but one of them has to go. It would be helpful if you guys could make strong pros/cons arguments about any of the below, in order to assist me with this regrettable, but unavoidable task. FYI, I work in a casual environment in the San Francisco area, so it's mostly my aesthetic pleasure. I don't wear suits.

1. NST Tanker Shell Color 8, commando sole, Trubalance

#2 - Color 8 punch cap toe, leather sole, barrie - TSM factory second

#3 Crockett & Jones Islay, of James Bond fame, brown scotch grain wing tip on dainite - yes, not Alden, but on the chopping block nonetheless...

Things I am weighing, besides the subjective pleasure I receive, are versatility, potential to replace easily, etc.
Thanks in advance!
the cap toes are probably the least casual, or the on the more business end of casual. what size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52