• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbo316

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage. Loving the chamois. Don't normally cuff but tried it out for the sake of a photo.

I like the cuff. Just saying.
wink.gif
These boots are rather nice for the winter.

panthro10

Reaction score

I have been lurking around here for a while and have finally decided to post. I picked up these 403's last year around Thanksgiving. I wore them regularly last winter and have just broken them out again. As you can see from the pictures, the detail stitching at the top is beginning to unravel. It is worse on the right boot, but is also happening on the inside of the left boot. Has anyone else had this happen? I figure eventually I will send them back to alden, maybe when resoling is needed.

Also, I had a general question about sizing. Beneath where the bows are, my uppers are touching. I don't recall for sure, but I don't think they were that close when I got them, and that the CXL has stretched some. It doesn't bother me, but I am wondering if I should have sized down. These are a 7.5D and I am planning on purchasing a pair of #8 shell cap toe boots on the grant last. Do you think 8D would be the right size?

Todd V

Reaction score
I have been lurking around here for a while and have finally decided to post. I picked up these 403's last year around Thanksgiving. I wore them regularly last winter and have just broken them out again. As you can see from the pictures, the detail stitching at the top is beginning to unravel. It is worse on the right boot, but is also happening on the inside of the left boot. Has anyone else had this happen? I figure eventually I will send them back to alden, maybe when resoling is needed. Also, I had a general question about sizing. Beneath where the bows are, my uppers are touching. I don't recall for sure, but I don't think they were that close when I got them, and that the CXL has stretched some. It doesn't bother me, but I am wondering if I should have sized down. These are a 7.5D and I am planning on purchasing a pair of #8 shell cap toe boots on the grant last. Do you think 8D would be the right size?
My gut says go for 8D on the Grant. If you go down to 7.5D, you may find the shoe is super snug around the ball of your foot. I wear 7D Trubalance (normal dress socks) and 7.5D Grant boots.

Last edited:

panthro10

Reaction score
My gut says go for 8D on the Grant. If you go down to 7.5D, you may find the shoe is super snug around the ball of your foot.

I wear 7D Trubalance (normal dress socks) and 7.5D Grant boots.
Thank you, Todd. That is the consensus I have gathered from browsing forums. The Indy's feel a little roomy, but do not seem too big. Their length seems appropriate to me.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

totalair1

Reaction score
Stopped by Alden DC and got a pair the CXL LHS, plus I really liked the #8 shell PCT shoe, got those too!

See Ya,
Steve

golfinz

Reaction score
Looking for Plaza last sizing advise as I don't own any Alden shoes. I'm looking at getting a plaza lasted boot. I wear the following:

Carmina Rain: uk 5.5 - length and width are good, the instep is a little high for my foot
Carmina Rain: uk 6 - length is long but width is much more comfortable. Can't wear an oxford in this size, but a derby is doable due to the vamp/lacing properties of a derby
Carmina simpson: uk 6 - length is a bit long, width is good, and the instep is good
Meermin hiro - uk6 - length and width are good
AE Neumok (65 last) - size US 7 - length is a bit long but width is ok

In all the shoes above were I mention that the length is a bit long, there is about two thumb widths from the end of my toe to the end of the toe box. My toes aren't very long and I feel like I've got a wide foot with a high arch lol

Any help? I was thinking either a US 6.5 or US 7 for a plaza lasted boot.

Last edited:

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unlined color 8, Bresciani socks, Incotex pants

Prez .. Sorry I asked this before .. who does this makeup? I want it with regular single leather soles.. Best to ya!:slayer:

Last edited:

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stopped by Alden DC and got a pair the CXL LHS, plus I really liked the #8 shell PCT shoe, got those too!

See Ya,
Steve

Yeah...that is the older color 8 on those....more of an oxblood.....which, I really like.

I have the same shoe and when I opened the box earlier this year I thought for sure they sent me black instead of #8

Mine are a deep purple color, those you have there are exquisite for real.

I would like to see some pics of them, in the outside light if that is not too much to ask.

You were fortunate to get that shade!!!

Last edited:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for Plaza last sizing advise as I don't own any Alden shoes. I'm looking at getting a plaza lasted boot. I wear the following:

Carmina Rain: uk 5.5 - length and width are good, the instep is a little high for my foot
Carmina Rain: uk 6 - length is long but width is much more comfortable. Can't wear an oxford in this size, but a derby is doable due to the vamp/lacing properties of a derby
Carmina simpson: uk 6 - length is a bit long, width is good, and the instep is good
Meermin hiro - uk6 - length and width are good
AE Neumok (65 last) - size US 7 - length is a bit long but width is ok

In all the shoes about that the length is a bit long, there is about two thumb widths from the end of my toe to the end of the toe box. My toes aren't very long and I feel like I've got a wide foot with a high arch lol

Any help? I was thinking either a US 6.5 or US 7 for a plaza lasted boot.

AE 65 last should be about the same as plaza. AE 65 will be a little more narrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads