• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys should be cheering for the move to sneakers with suits - maybe it'll slow the price increases on Aldens and men's footwear in general

A lot of this has to do with technology jobs becoming more and more prevalent in pop culture - we finance lugs are losing the culture war, and dress is becoming more and more casual. It always swings back eventually though.

I currently don't own any non-athletic sneakers. I used to have a few APC/Nikes. I've considered adding a pair or two for diversity, but when it comes to sneakers with suits, it really only makes sense casually (like a cotton suit in the summer with white sneakers on a hot Saturday)

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm totally cheering the article if it means less demand here.

The Times has some photos too -- some actually looked good, some looked really silly, but none actually made me think "you know, I should do that." The main point is that the people who can wear sneakers with suits and pull it off are likely the people who don't have to be wearing a suit in the first place. And that's really most people nowadays.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I saw a well respected director (A Raisin in the Sun) on the Tony's the other night, and I was horrified as he wore sneakers with a suit (or tux). I am NOT a sartorial snob, but it is not appropriate.
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Kenny+Leon+2014+Tony+Awards+Paramount+Hotel+Rb06Kpmpo_jl.jpg
Come on....
I hate this but I think that he at least does a good job with a terrible style choice. When I see this in the real world it is 1,000 times worse -- usually the sneakers are garbage, the suit doesn't fit, etc. = Shambling mess.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Alcibiades - I am with you. The banker suit and dress shoes tend to be a little less fashionable during economic expansions or perceived rises in asset prices, especially as the macroeconomic and market conditions improve in the US. As soon as we get a market correction, M&A dealflow falloff, or the reduction in tech valuations, people will feel a little less bullish overall and the exuberant air of casualness will moderate. Generally though, I am a conservative contrarian, and I'll keep my stable of proper dress shoes--Alden or otherwise--for what it's worth. Cheers.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Oh no -- the Times has said that all the cool kids are wearing sneakers with suits, and that Alden and others are now on their way out. What a shame.

Makes it tough for me to watch MasterChef. LOL. Dude forever has suits with sneakers...

masterchef.jpg

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Following this and other threads it almost seems like the pendulum just swung from others (Carmina, AE) having the allocations of rarer shell to Alden now getting allocated a healthy (if not overwhelming) amount. Perhaps to make up for the dry spell. May be a fluke.

I don't know about "overwhelming". We're talking about 1-2 pairs in each size for each run. The Shoe Mart doesn't have 10% of the rare shell they had back in 2010.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
CPs are like AEs. They're always on sale. So you can get them quite frequently for $250 if you wait a bit. Alden sales on the other hand is less common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads