1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

No it won't, some people try to lighten #8 this way, leaving it in a window that gets quite a bit of sun for a few weeks.

2. JjasonL

JjasonL Senior member

interesting.. Thanks! I might give that a try

3. schmallo15

schmallo15 Senior member

I accidentally left a pair of Color 8 loafers sitting at my parents home on their shoe rack (which gets sun). It was a few months before I got them and they lightened up quite a bit. No damage to them that I could tell.

4. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

it was quiet at work and i could hear the shell pieces squeaking as i walked. my boots were talking!!!

whiskey indys second wear

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  5. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

6. JjasonL

JjasonL Senior member

Gentlemen, i need some sizing advice.

7.5D in TB is a bit loose in the toe box
    7.5D in Barrie is almost perfect
    7.5D in Grant is a bit snug in toe box and pinky toe was cramped up against the shoe
    7.5D in Van is a bit loose and i would like to try a C width

So im thinking my correct size on the Grant last would be a 7.5E, correct?
    And what would i be on the Aberdeen?

Is there a big noticeable difference in D and E widths, as i dont want to have super wide shoes!

Sorry for the all the questions and thanks in advance!

7. Mghart

Mghart Senior member

WOW.. Amazing color on those Indys. Looks fantastic with the denim.

8. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

Just my 2 cents but I would rather have shoes that fit properly than ones that I didn't wear because my toes were being crushed. Based on what you say I would suggest you that 7.5e grant and 7.5e aberdeen would fit you well.

9. JjasonL

JjasonL Senior member

Thanks! exactly, i sold my 7.5D Grant boots bc they were snug

10. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

quick shout out to Aram at AH One Shoes in Northern VA. Long story short, I dropped a couple things off to see how he'd do. Flush taps on a pair of brown shell patriots (no pics, solid work), and some upper refinishing on a pair of modified last #8 captoes. I originally stripped these (very aggressively) and threw them in the closet. Main reason for buying in first place was to test the ML last out, so I wasn't concerned with the finish (even less once I stripped them).

Very happy with results. He has me taking them home to wear around the house for a bit, then bring back for a touchup where needed.

For the light duty use these will be getting here on out, they'll work perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be dropping some more pairs off for flush taps, along with some random work here and there. He's repairing a 50+ year old shoe horn leather handle of my fathers right now. Sentimental value on my dads part, needed a piece of leather as close to the original as possible. Aram scrounged up a french calf toe cap from wherever that is almost a perfect match. Leather looked like it came from a euro shoe company, now we'll be retro'ing it onto a shoe horn handle.

He also sells G&G and now has me mulling over a pair of those too.

If anyone ever finds themself in Springfield, stop in and see Aram. Then head around the corner for some great food at Mikes, or, if your wife isn't around (or is laid back lol), swing by Paper Moon.

11. shoetree

shoetree Senior member

You might also want to try an 8d in the grant and aberdeen last. I suspect the E width may not work well for you if you are considering a C width in the van last. I am a 9d barrie and TB and 9.5D grant and aberdeen.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  12. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

@kwhitelaw nice plug for a great cobbler and seller. Aram is tops! I look forward to checking out his new digs.

Your restored bluchers look good.

13. AnOxymoron

AnOxymoron Senior member

Ugh, why did I ever sell mine :brick: Such a beautiful boot!

14. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

thank you sir! Didn't realize we had another member locally [​IMG]

From how those #8's looked going into his shop, to how they came out, I couldn't ask for anything more. I had already written off the $150 I think I originally paid just to get a shot at trying ML, so for another $40 to refinish, I'm ecstatic.

15. lifeinabox

lifeinabox Senior member

I second that you are likely an 8D in Grant. I was originally measured 7E in Barrie but generally take 7.5D for general comfort. 7.5D in TB is too roomy for me. 8D in Grant fit me well.

16. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

also remember that an e width will be wider in the heel and more voluminous throughout.

17. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

You could have posted before, especially if you have questions, but they look great. Congrats and enjoy them!
    Looking great and great combo all around!
    Way to get good usage out of your ALD! :)
    Magnificent!
    Aram has done me very well on a number of things including restitching my Whiskey PTB eye stays. He currently has my laptop bag and do not go by paper moon. It is not what you think. Took my wife and I a while to realize that, fortunately we never went in. Mikes is good, but I also like Hard Times right there. :) -Mike

18. aldennoob

aldennoob Senior member

Quote:My brannock size is 6.5D But i take both 6D size in grant last boot and barrie last boot without reserve welt. (The grant last is more snug but i can take it) Actually i can also wear 6D nst blucher in aberdeen last. Would you recommend size up 0.5 to 6.5D when i got the chance to purchase aberdeen last boot? Thanks!

19. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

[​IMG] I'm honestly surprised Paper Moon has lasted as long as it has. Prime real estate, but always an empty parking lot when I'm passing by to go to Mikes..

Ribs and jambalaya from Mikes [​IMG]

Didn't realize there were so many members passing through NOVA, have to try and coordinate something one day if everyone's schedules align.

20. stevefok

stevefok Senior member

Just received these Camel suede PT boots from the recent Jcrew steal. Fortunately it's in perfect condition and haven't been tried on! Some said they are in TB last but they look like Barrie last to me.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.