1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisefi

chrisefi Senior member

Nice looking boot! Congrats. Love the brass hardware on light suede. Looks like you got a killer deal on them too.

2. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

Really nice! I briefly had a pair from TSM (irregulars) in tan suede and it definitely was Barrie last. Unfortunately the pair I had fit a bit tighter around the toes so I had to unload them. I really like the clean look of these though

3. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

So I've been thinking of grabbing a pair of dress black shell shoes.
    What's everyone's opinion here? What's the most versatile? I'm not sure LWB's are my thing, like my dress shoes clean. They have to be reasonably attainable as well need them for mid next month.

4. stevefok

stevefok Senior member

I think these bb sw bal looks really nice! Any chance that 11.5c or 13c is your size?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Cordovan-Leather-Wingtips/037H,default,pd.html

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  5. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

I bought the J.Crew Cadet bluchers as my black shell option, which will work fine for my limited black shoe wearing. If I didn't score the Cadets with the 20% off coupon, I like the Brooks Brothers PTB for a clean/simple look:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Cordo...?dwvar_091H_Color=BLCK&contentpos=7&cgid=0522

edit:
    The 9071 is a nice balmoral captoe (more formal) option
    http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me..._ald_m_cap_toe_bal_oxford_shell_cordovan.html

6. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

thanks for the kind words gentlemen.

7. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

ravello x anatomica

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. RevisIsland

RevisIsland Senior member

I agree and really like these shoes. I think the wingtip does a good job of enhancing the beauty of shell.

However, if you were looking for a formal "clean" shoe, id stick to a straight tip or perforated bal. The only problem is, I tend to wear my calfskin straight tip bals more than shell. So not sure how much wear you would get out of them.

What do you currently own in the black balmoral department? What do you plan to wear these for? If for work, what line of work are you in?

9. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

It's strictly an events type shoe. Dressing up for weddings and such. I'm a tshirt and jeans guy, wear uniforms to work. I currently have park av's looking to upgrade just can't decide on what.

I'm between 8-8.5D depending on last.

10. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

For wearing them that little I think I would just keep the Park Ave and keep them polished up. I think the upgrade to shell would be pointless IMHO. If you want to upgrade your formal shoe maybe get something in calf with a more shapely last from a European maker. Carmina, AS and Enzo Bonfe come to mind. All cheaper than Alden shell.

11. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

yup

12. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

Cmon. You guys are speaking logically. You know we don't roll that way around here.

13. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Edited for stupidity.

14. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

15. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

16. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

Thanks man. I know nothing of Carmina or Enzo. Not against trying something new thou. These are pretty nice.

Like the bal's posted earlier too.

It would seem they get worn sparingly but it I feel I am always attending a wedding,communion, confirmation, graduation or other venue. So it's a sound investment on my part, they would probably get worn more than some of the pairs of boots I have still in the box brand new.

17. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

First, long time no post for me - been traveling way too much the past few weeks

Second, I think Alden's black shell captoe bals (both the punch toe version and the straight tip version) are underrated. I wear my black cordovan punch toe weekly (9016).

That said, if you don't wear them often, the Park Avenues are a fine show for occasional wear. I do like the look of a freshly polished shell balmoral, though.

18. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

9016 or 9071. The plain chelsea/ captoe oxford style is probably cleaner.

19. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Finally some nice weather in my neck of the woods:

[​IMG]

20. stevefok

stevefok Senior member

Thank you for the kind words guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.