1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

2. Carson

Carson Senior member

Randy the Cobbler, is going to get a lot busier it seems… still waiting for my tankers to come back : )

3. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Senior member

Randy made them light antiqued edged?

4. Carson

Carson Senior member

He's doing that to my #8 tankers and installing gold eyelets and speed hooks…should be getting them back soon

5. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

GW, Steve is right on with this. When I get home from work, I take off my shoes and then walk the dog. When I get home from walking her, then I tree my shoes. This allows the surface moisture to evaporate off. It is definitely much better to allow them to tree for 2 days before their next wear, to allow the moisture to be absorbed by the shoe trees.

-Mike

6. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Very cool. Is he going to redo the welt?

1 person likes this.
  7. Carson

Carson Senior member

he's basically doing what he did to Inn8chiro's tankers… just doing a light antique edging and the change in the speed hooks and eyelets, but it's not going to be the actual welt…though if I have them re-soled…

Can't wait to get them back. Hopefully this week he'll send them![​IMG]

8. mike fite

mike fite Active Member

I'm pretty stoked to get mine done next month.

1 person likes this.
  9. mike fite

mike fite Active Member

Randy made them light antiqued

Mine are already antique edge. I'm just having brass eyelets put in them. Mine came this way from alden Madison. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

Definitely use shoe trees and a shoe horn. Giving the shoes a day off between wears is always good. More time than that between wears can be argued as better, however marginally so or not. The most important and basic aspects of shoe care are use trees and wipe them off after you've worn them (and let them dry naturally, if they are wet).

Wearing shoes on successive days is fine when traveling or in a pinch, but the primary reason people advise against this as a regular practice has to do with basic wear and tear. The shoes, specifically the soles, will breakdown more quickly this way. So much of this stuff comes down to judgement and being proactive. Some people don't walk much at all during their average day and spend all their time indoors in carpeted environments- with little wear/activity. If that's you, I would worry much less about wearing shoes on successive days. Others will walk several miles as part of a commute, or are on their feet a lot, hoofing it everywhere; activity will cause moisture and sweat and more wear to the sole. If this is the case, giving the shoes an extended break between wearing them is probably advised.

If you're thinking about shoe care at all, you're off to a good start. Just moisturize and/or polish the leather regularly and enjoy your shoes. The amount, speed, and type of deterioration to the soles and shoes overall depend on your routine and habits. Enjoy the shoes often, take care of them, and resole when the time comes. Good luck.

11. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

i was in j Gilbert on Friday and i liked the green suede tassel loafers a lot more in person than I thought I would. Also liked the penny loafer they had on the Copley last.

12. fal32

fal32 Senior member

Quote:If I have been putting in the trees right after I take off my 403's...will the CXL stretch out excessively? I'm trying to avoid too much stretch.

13. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

Randy the cobbler must be getting a lot of referrals from @inn8chiro or just SF in general! I sent him my snuff suede LWB's to add brass eyelets like the Frans Boone version... in his hands today. Looking forward to the finished product :)

1 person likes this.
  14. inn8chiro

inn8chiro Senior member

Shit fellas i'm waiting for a kick back from that guy...hahahahha

1 person likes this.
  15. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

Looks like no retailer wants to do the Snuff WT boot on commando with brass hardware. I am resigning myself to getting the Fransboone parajumper and having a commando sole put on after the double leather needs replacing.

or..

Should I get on the next run of Yenni's Snuff WT Boot on Commando and have the brass hardware added?

16. Carson

Carson Senior member

Yeah, you need to get a percentage on referrals!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  17. Carson

Carson Senior member

You can always send them to Randy the Cobbler, apparently… : )

18. Carson

Carson Senior member

Thinking that my cigar Indy boots might look nice with some brass hardware too...

19. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

1 person likes this.
  20. Carson

Carson Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.